Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #61
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^Nothing is sold until the money is in your hand.
Yup. But I'd still consider it a dink move to accept, then pawn it off to the next guy offering more. Saying something like, "If I don't get a better offer in a day, I'll accept you offer or something." I think is more than reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
What the hell, why would he start insulting and wishing you ill? Interesting people on kijiji haha.

Used Kijiji a bunch of times to buy/sell. Just have to have patience and know the general tips outlined in this thread.
Yep. The tips in this thread would have helped a lot at that time, that's for sure. Maybe he just got hot headed for a second and was super disappointed he didn't get the car? It was an old model luxury touring car with a bit of rust but ran very well. He probably was just super disappointed and didn't have the budget to match. Lots of cars at $500 at the time barely ran and/or were compact cars, not full sized sedans. I wasn't worried at the time when he started ranting, just annoyed he wouldn't stop the conversation. lol.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #62
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing we used to do when selling inexpensive (say $20 or less) items was when people would say they were coming to look at it we would tell them we would be out at that time but the item would be out front for them. If they wanted it they would just put the money under the door mat. If not, they could drive away. This would eliminate any interaction between us and them and also any dickering. Doing this at least 10 times we never had anyone stiff us. And if they ever did we weren't out much anyhow.

It was always cool to come home to a bit of money under the mat.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #63
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kijiji gear grinder: "Brand new, only used 3-4 times!"

If it's brand new, it hasn't been used. Idiots.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #64
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
People take out loans on bikes?
There are a lot motorcycles out there more expensive than brand new economy cars. And lien checks on them will show up on carprooof.

As far as pedal bikes go, that would be rare, and I don't believe there would be a way to check a lien... but there are pedal bikes out there, more expensive than economy cars.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #65
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Nothing is sold until the money is in your hand.
Wrong. Once terms are agreed to you have a binding contract. The sheer volume of breach of contract that happens via kijiji is one of the things that GMG about it. Not that you'd ever do anything given the dollar figures involved of course, but that's not the point. If you operated this way in any other commercial context you'd be getting sued constantly. People suck.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
V
Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #66
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Wrong. Once terms are agreed to you have a binding contract. The sheer volume of breach of contract that happens via kijiji is one of the things that GMG about it. Not that you'd ever do anything given the dollar figures involved of course, but that's not the point. If you operated this way in any other commercial context you'd be getting sued constantly. People suck.
I find this problem is worse with buyers.

I quit selling hockey tickets on Kijiji because of the amount of "I'll be there in an hour." people welching, then flaking out, not leaving you enough time to get rid of the tickets.

I had a guy do that to me on 6 tickets for a game. When I called him out as a flake an hour before the game, his reply was "Ha, sucks to be you dude. You shouldn't take peoples word on Kijiji" The great news is I had his cell phone number, and his first and last name thanks to iMessage. I still am signing him up to as many offers as I can to this day. I plug his name into those free gym offers religiously. Have the info memorized. Also, whenever I get those scam texts for job offers, secret shoppers, I politely respond "I'm not interested, but Allan ______ at 403-xxx-xxxx will be. He loves these types of things!"
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #67
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean that there are a million ways a Kijiji transaction can fall apart, and until the money has changed hands, I don't consider anything a done deal.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #68
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah of course you're right practically speaking, just by virtue of how often that happens. I'm just saying the general attitude is wrong, legally, and I'm not sure people even realize that they could technically get sued for that behaviour (even though they never actually will be simply because of the small dollars involved). People seem to think this is totally reasonable behaviour.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #69
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I sell on Kijiji I tell all the potential buyers that I don't hold items for anyone. They have to come get it with cash in hand to get the item. If someone beats you, too bad.

But I don't negotiate on Kijiji. I put the price up firm every time.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #70
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingHomer View Post
One thing we used to do when selling inexpensive (say $20 or less) items was when people would say they were coming to look at it we would tell them we would be out at that time but the item would be out front for them. If they wanted it they would just put the money under the door mat. If not, they could drive away. This would eliminate any interaction between us and them and also any dickering. Doing this at least 10 times we never had anyone stiff us. And if they ever did we weren't out much anyhow.

It was always cool to come home to a bit of money under the mat.
My wife buys and sells stuff on a Facebook garage sale group where you use the "bin system". You put the item in the bin, person comes by, takes item and leaves money in a container in the bin. Works great, except when people "accidentally" short you $5, which happens a lot.

I've put lots of stuff on kijiji for free, and it's amazing what people take.

- 2 couches soiled by dogs
- broken TV
- crap bedroom sets
- broken garden tools

It's unbelievable what people will take off your hands, saving a trip to the dump. I gave away a foosball table once and watched a guy strap it to the top of a PT Cruiser.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #71
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I find this problem is worse with buyers.

I quit selling hockey tickets on Kijiji because of the amount of "I'll be there in an hour." people welching, then flaking out, not leaving you enough time to get rid of the tickets.

I had a guy do that to me on 6 tickets for a game. When I called him out as a flake an hour before the game, his reply was "Ha, sucks to be you dude. You shouldn't take peoples word on Kijiji" The great news is I had his cell phone number, and his first and last name thanks to iMessage. I still am signing him up to as many offers as I can to this day. I plug his name into those free gym offers religiously. Have the info memorized. Also, whenever I get those scam texts for job offers, secret shoppers, I politely respond "I'm not interested, but Allan ______ at 403-xxx-xxxx will be. He loves these types of things!"
Hahah this is pretty funny, but isn't this considered harrassment or something along those lines?
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #72
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Hahah this is pretty funny, but isn't this considered harrassment or something along those lines?
Isn't breaking a contract for purchasing 6 tickets worth $800 breach of contract? I'm sure the text message chain in small claims court would be sufficient to prove intent he was going to buy them. Especially when at 5:00 pm he texted "I'm leaving my house right now, I'm still taking them!"
Old 04-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #73
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
It's unbelievable what people will take off your hands, saving a trip to the dump. I gave away a foosball table once and watched a guy strap it to the top of a PT Cruiser.
Oh man that is an American Funniest Home Video waiting to happen.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #74
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post

Unless it is a retail store that is selling an item, everything is used on Kijiji. I wish more people understood this.

Once it leaves the store it is used. Even unopened in box should get a discount from new as you forfeit the right to return, and access to buyer protections.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #75
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Once it leaves the store it is used. Even unopened in box should get a discount from new as you forfeit the right to return, and access to buyer protections.
Unopened items are usually advertised as "regular price $500+tax. Asking for $500, you save the tax and fees!"
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #76
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Unopened items are usually advertised as "regular price $500+tax. Asking for $500, you save the tax and fees!"
Still, for 5% more I can buy a verified one in store using credit (cashback everyone) that I have an opportunity to exchange or return if something's not right.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #77
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was offered $4500. for my used 10 year old Toyota Highlander on a trade in, and instead I sold it on Kijiji for $9500. cash four days later. I think most of the used car lots were listing it in the $10,000. to $12,000. range.

I believe most of the time, it pays to sell your vehicle rather than trading it in.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #78
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tires are something else I generally look for on kijiji. Saved $500 on my winters this year getting them used v new, and the ones I got were very clearly barely used (seller claimed one month)
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #79
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I find my buyers will believe anything I tell like - 'I only used the winters for one month.....'

works everytime.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 04-04-2016 at 04:10 PM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #80
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post

Oh, this reminds me... I lost it on a guy in Sylvan Lake on a bike purchase. Wasn't a lowball either, I was giving him 500 under his ask. It was what I was looking for. Advertised as 'Mint, like new 8200 kms..'. Ok cool, that is fair wording. OK man, can you email me better pictures? Sure thing, I get the pics, this thing is mint.

Get there, I could tell from 300 feet I was duped. You know that faded, dusty look a bike has when it's sat outside for a year? Also it had a plastic bad MELTED to the exhaust. Scratches everywhere, and the odometer is in miles.

Me "Dude, what the hell? It didn't look like that in the pictures?"

Him "Those were the pictures the day I picked it up."

Me "Are you frikking serious?"

Him "Well, that's what it will look like once you polish it, clean it up..."

Me "And when I strip the safeway bag melted to the exhaust? And by the way, 8200 MILES, is like 13000+ kms."

Him "No its not, it's like 5000."

Me "You are a f###### ######."

At that point I low balled him half of his asking price, because that is all it was worth to me, and he had the gall, to call me a scammer at that point.