Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2022, 03:31 PM   #1
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Let's talk about Cordless Vaccums

I currently have a Dyson V7 (I think) quite old and primitive but still works. Battery life sucks.

Bought the Dyson V15 took a couple of months to get it, chip shortage probably. It's nice and powerful battery life is good. The soft roller brush is great and the green laser dust revealer is more than a gimmick. It's quite big and heavy. As with all Dyson products it's way over priced.

While waiting for the Dyson I bought a Dreametech T30 really like this thing, it's powerful with good battery life and the unit is small and light enough to be used almost anywhere. Comes with a flexible hose great for car cleaning. The floor brush is the weakest aspect, steering is not great. There is no soft roller option. The floor brush has better anti tangle ability vs. the V15 I've yet to have a single hair caught unlike the Dyson.

Now on to the greatest floor cleaning tool, the Dreametech H11. My house is almost all hardwood so I've been vacuuming and wet mopping. The H11 essentially replaces both and does a fantastic job. I love this thing. I can clean the entire upstairs (1500 sq foot house) and still have battery left over. Game changer. Downside is hard to find in Canada, I ended up buying it from Amazon.com. The voice prompts are annoying luckily can be turn them off. The self cleaning feature is awesome but you do have to remove and hand clean the roller after a while. Downside, if I had to think of one can't used on carpet it's not designed for that like a Bissel or some other purpose built tool.

In retrospect I probably would have just bought the Dreame T30 and not the Dyson since I am using the Dreame H11 for most of the hardwood cleaning and I like that I can use it in my cars. Other brands I considered are Roborock, Shark, Lupe, Tineco.

So what are y'all using?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

This:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's like several steps behind your Dyson V7, but it works well enough. Suction is good enough, but I wish it was more. It's nice that we can also trick the kids into thinking that using this to clean is "fun". Good enough for $150.

Anything more heavy duty, I use a plugged in cannister vacuum.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:47 PM   #3
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a Dyson V8 Animal which we use for small clean-up jobs, and an Electrolux central vacuum for the rest of the house. The V8 Animal has been in my possession for ~5 years and still works really nicely.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:52 PM   #4
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m curious what’s going on inside Zamler’s house that he needs three vacuums.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #5
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I was going buy an inexpensive knock off style but there are so many didn't know what to choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I’m curious what’s going on inside Zamler’s house that he needs three vacuums.
I like things that suck obviously.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:33 PM   #6
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I was going buy an inexpensive knock off style but there are so many didn't know what to choose.

I like things that suck obviously.
So content with your avatar then?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 04:39 PM   #7
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

We have a Dyson which is great for the carpeted upstairs, but I was sick of vacuuming then mopping the main floor so I grabbed one of these

https://www.amazon.ca/Bissell-Crossw...en%2C94&sr=1-5

Total game changer for hard floors. Picks up quite large debris with the vacuum, and does a better job of wet cleaning hard floors than my Swiffer did. I found with the Swiffer wetjet I had to go around a couple of times to actually clean the floor, since you're pushing the dirt around with the same pad. The Bissel doesn't have this issue, one pass is all you need. It also works on low carpet, so I don't need to drag the Dyson downstairs to clean the rugs which is nice
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:37 PM   #8
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That Bissell was not on my radar for whatever reason looks like a better (and less expensive) option vs. the Dreame if you have carpet.

Here's a comparison of the Bissel and Tineco which in looks at least is similar to the Dreame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
So content with your avatar then?
What's the opposite of content.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:54 PM   #9
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
We have a Dyson which is great for the carpeted upstairs, but I was sick of vacuuming then mopping the main floor so I grabbed one of these

https://www.amazon.ca/Bissell-Crossw...en%2C94&sr=1-5

Total game changer for hard floors. Picks up quite large debris with the vacuum, and does a better job of wet cleaning hard floors than my Swiffer did. I found with the Swiffer wetjet I had to go around a couple of times to actually clean the floor, since you're pushing the dirt around with the same pad. The Bissel doesn't have this issue, one pass is all you need. It also works on low carpet, so I don't need to drag the Dyson downstairs to clean the rugs which is nice
That wouldn't work on engineered hardwood floors (the ones that are individual finished boards and not finished in place) would it?

We use a Bona mop but yeah you have to use a lot of pads to really feel like you're cleaning.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:19 PM   #10
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That will work on engineered floors, those machines leave less water behind than the method you are using now.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:54 AM   #11
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
That Bissell was not on my radar for whatever reason looks like a better (and less expensive) option vs. the Dreame if you have carpet.
I will say don't grab the Bissell if you want to completely replace your regular vacuum for carpets. It's fine for a quick clean to grab visible dirt and debris, but it can't match the deep cleaning of a Dyson. It's awesome for mixed hard floor/carpet areas though, you can get away with using the Bissell almost exclusively and just do a monthly clean of the carpet with a normal vac
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #12
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus fellas, I need to stop buying Swiffers. Im old fashioned too with ol hands & knees.
1,000sq ft, mostly hardwood. (Bathrooms are stone/tile)

Zamler (apologies hijack), et all — suggestions?

I actually just wish listed the $150 above.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #13
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Jesus fellas, I need to stop buying Swiffers. Im old fashioned too with ol hands & knees.

What did you wish list? Wet mop vac is ~$500 price point. Your situation is similar to mine I have all hardwood except bathroom which is tile. I'll never go back to spray mops, Swiffers and the like waste of money and they don't work well at all. Bite the bullet and get a wet vac mop.

On carpet, until a few years ago I still had it in one bedroom. When I pulled it up what I found was vile, dust and crud under the carpet. This is with regular vacuuming. Once dirt gets past the carpet and into the underlayment nothing will vacuum it out.

I have a corded vacuum that is 10x more powerful than the V15 and it still couldn't suck dust out of the carpet, well actually through the carpet all the dust was under the carpet itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I will say don't grab the Bissell if you want to completely replace your regular vacuum for carpets. It's fine for a quick clean to grab visible dirt and debris, but it can't match the deep cleaning of a Dyson. It's awesome for mixed hard floor/carpet areas though, you can get away with using the Bissell almost exclusively and just do a monthly clean of the carpet with a normal vac
Makes sense but having the ability to clean up carpet spills is nice. The Bissell seems to have a better roller than the other ones I've seen tested. The Bissell, Dreame and Tineco they all are good products from what I've seen.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:02 AM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Bissell Spinwave Cord Powered Hard Floor Mop 2039C - Quiet Operation with On Demand Spray for Sealed Hard Floor Surfaces - Includes Trial Formula, A Set of Soft Pads and A Set of Scrub Pads https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CD5WW33/...1MDRSFGM?psc=1

This? Is not a vacuum... But should be superior to your Swiffer?

I bought one and used it a lot to get my home move in ready after a Reno, but wife didn't use it until the Swiffer ran out of liquid. She used this out of desperation one day, and now I doubt she's going back to the Swiffer.

I use wet vac for carpeted or sofa cleaning, but I'd never use it on wet food like those vids. That's so weird to me.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2022, 10:34 AM   #15
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I became a Dyson v15 owner late last year. it's overpriced and overfancy and I'm damn proud of it. I've had a central vac for years and slowly just got sick of wrangling the big hose. maybe I just suck (haha) at central vacs but if you want to do it efficiently without knocking the hose into everything it's a borderline two person operation. that led to less frequent usage and dreading the big cleanup day.

now I am able to just bust out the v15 within seconds and do either a single room, or it lasts just long enough to complete the house. that means areas stay cleaner more frequently, and it's so satisfying being able to see the canister fill up with crap in real time. the particle counter is excessive and probably not accurate at all, but it's still super fun to watch.

a corded or central vac is like a high end DSLR camera. yea it beats a phone head to head, but which one are you actually going to pull out of your pocket for the 95% of cases where the practical difference is negligible? the technology has finally arrived. free yourself of cords and hoses and join the battery powered future. I also did this with the lawn mower and it was similarly Shawshank Redemption level freedom.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #16
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would get one of these (just don't test it by dumping a bag of sugar onto the floor):

TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: