Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2023, 08:16 PM   #1
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Possible to find an EV in BC?

Also posted in the EV thread, but looking to help my 75 yo mom out since she gave my son her car while in US and is pretty stressed about finding something that is available when she gets home in March.

She's really hoping for an EV. She was on the Prius Prime waitlist and was kind of counting on that, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.

She's willing to spend $50-60k cash or perhaps a bit more for the right vehicle, but can't find anything at all to buy or even to order to arrive in a couple months.

She wants a smallish suv or hatchback that she can put a women's bike inside with the rear seats down and wants it to be a full EV or possibly plug in hybrid.

Any thoughts on what could be available or how best to acquire something in the next couple months? She lives on Vancouver island, and I think she'd be good getting something anywhere in BC. She thinks Alberta is too burdensome to bring back to BC, but I'm not sure it is that hard?

Anyone who can help at all would be appreciated or a hook up with someone who could help!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:42 PM   #2
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Also posted in the EV thread, but looking to help my 75 yo mom out since she gave my son her car while in US and is pretty stressed about finding something that is available when she gets home in March.

She's really hoping for an EV. She was on the Prius Prime waitlist and was kind of counting on that, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.

She's willing to spend $50-60k cash or perhaps a bit more for the right vehicle, but can't find anything at all to buy or even to order to arrive in a couple months.

She wants a smallish suv or hatchback that she can put a women's bike inside with the rear seats down and wants it to be a full EV or possibly plug in hybrid.

Any thoughts on what could be available or how best to acquire something in the next couple months? She lives on Vancouver island, and I think she'd be good getting something anywhere in BC. She thinks Alberta is too burdensome to bring back to BC, but I'm not sure it is that hard?

Anyone who can help at all would be appreciated or a hook up with someone who could help!
Is that to keep your Mom happy until she can get a car?
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 08:44 PM   #3
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
arghh!!!
Old 01-09-2023, 10:50 PM   #4
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
arghh!!!
Polestar Vancouver has inventory. Might be a bit out of budget though.
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:54 PM   #5
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

i'm not sure if it's changed lots since i bought my truck (late 1990s) in alberta, but the only thing i had to do to get it insured in bc was get it inspected in bc to make sure it was 'up to code'.
there had been a recall to upgrade the idler arm which had not been done, but i think that was the only thing i had to fix to be allowed to insure it in bc.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:26 AM   #6
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i'm not sure if it's changed lots since i bought my truck (late 1990s) in alberta, but the only thing i had to do to get it insured in bc was get it inspected in bc to make sure it was 'up to code'.
there had been a recall to upgrade the idler arm which had not been done, but i think that was the only thing i had to fix to be allowed to insure it in bc.
Maybe I'm wrong but I took it as because it's an EV it might be tough drive because of charging.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:01 AM   #7
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

She was more worried about inspections and stuff which didn’t sound like a big deal to me. But are there any cars available in Alberta?
Old 01-10-2023, 06:26 AM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
I'm pretty sure you have to pay the PST at registration time now(they wouldn't leave that loophole open!). But other than that, a new vehicle shouldn't be too hard.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 06:33 AM   #9
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kijiji autos shows 42 new EVs listed for sale around vancouver ish. Mostly Bolts, Konas, BZ4Xs, and Genesises. It could be dealers fabricating inventory since most of the ads don’t have real pictures though. There’s also 100 or so used listings showing right now.
Old 01-10-2023, 07:14 AM   #10
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has she ever owned an EV? When she moves back can she ensure where she lives will have the ability to charge the car with 240V overnight?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:58 AM   #11
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Has she ever owned an EV? When she moves back can she ensure where she lives will have the ability to charge the car with 240V overnight?
She hasn't, but had got a quote for an install in her garage, so shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:36 PM   #12
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd use cargurus to search because you can filter for electric fuel type

https://www.cargurus.ca/Cars/invento...pe=DEAL_SCORE#

There's Mustang MachE's to be had for around 60k and they are a crossover with a hatch
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 12:59 PM   #13
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I'd use cargurus to search because you can filter for electric fuel type

https://www.cargurus.ca/Cars/invento...pe=DEAL_SCORE#

There's Mustang MachE's to be had for around 60k and they are a crossover with a hatch
If OP's mom likes fugly vehicles she's in luck!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 01:27 PM   #14
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
If OP's mom likes fugly vehicles she's in luck!
Yeah, I'm not sure whose style that Mustang suits, but tough to see my 75 yo Mom in one. I think she's going to compromise with a Tucson hybrid. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:30 PM   #15
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
D as in David or D as in nFotiu's Mom, amirite?
Old 01-10-2023, 02:18 PM   #16
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would guess you can get a EV just about anywhere right now if you are willing to;

Pay for new sticker price
Spend 20 minutes checking dealer websites
Take whatever they happen to be on the lot.

if you want a specific one, or you want a cheap/used one you might have some issues.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:12 PM   #17
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I would guess you can get a EV just about anywhere right now if you are willing to;

if you want a specific one, or you want a cheap/used one you might have some issues.
It's not really that easy. The Ioniq 5, Prius Prime, Kia EV6, BZ4X and anything in that price and size range are what we were looking for. Many dealers claim to have one or some in stock, but when you call them or go there it is the same story "Oh, that one just sold, but we can order you one (for a 2 year wait) or try to show you something else if they even actually have other cars. We did find an electric Kona, but they wanted to tack on a $5000 limited availability fee and she decided it was just too small for what she needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 03:13 PM   #18
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

lol, dude that's not the case at all.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 03:30 PM   #19
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

There's a massive wait on many cars, especially EVs. They dealerships have also been jacking up their "fees". Most places in Vancouver are charging an extra $3-4k i n freight, transport, dealer fees, etc...

The plus side is that used car prices are still up, so you can get more for a trade in than normal, which off sets these increased fees.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:50 PM   #20
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We thought about trading in our 2011 Rav4 at the local Toyota dealership, but the offer they gave was around $5k, while they’re selling the same model and year for about $20k.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote