Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #21
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I really wish there were harsher minimum penalties for driving causing death - it's really a joke how low the minimum standards are.

1) First offence - $1,000 fine
2) Second offence - Jail for 30 days
3) Third offence - Jail for 120 days

For the average person, driving a vehicle is the most dangerous weapon they will ever own/operate, but there just don't seem to be sufficient consequences for causing major harm to others so long as you are driving.
If you want to murder someone, the “best” way to do so and recurve the lightest punishment is definitely to run them over with your vehicle.

Recently drivers have intentionally swerved to drive over bicyclists, and gotten tiny sentences.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #22
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

After having a few beer, my cousin drove across the centre line and killed a couple of people. He served about two years in jail. He’s out now, has a second home in a Caribbean country, goes on with his regular life in Alberta.

I don’t understand how he got of so easily. I think he should still be in jail. The consequences for him were a joke.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #23
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Too many people jumping to conclusions. This wasn't a person swerving into oncoming traffic. This was a rear end collision. It could have been caused by the lead car dangerously slamming on brakes and a lapse in attention by the driver of a large truck.

IMO this sounds like the bigger issue is the need people feel to drive massive cars/SUVs/trucks in urban areas. I hate it when people sight "safety" as the reason for driving a large vehicle. All they are doing is adding more impact force to a collision and putting more risk on the other driver. The next time someone tells you that they bought a large vehicle for "safety" reasons, think about this tragedy.

Edit: Just saw the dangerous driving charge bit... so a combo of an awful driver and a massive vehicle.
The bolded is just a bad take. Even if someone slams on the brakes for absolutely no reason at all there is no excuse to end up with anything more than a fender-bender (unless maybe the lead car had all of their brakelights out or something).

But there are plenty of valid reasons for people to slam on the brakes....everyone should be prepared to do so within their following distance reaction-time.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #24
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinnerDog View Post
There is a first hand witness account posted on Reddit, the red truck in the photo in the Sun article is not the one that caused the accident. The red truck was travelling southbound, the black truck that caused the accident was travelling north, swerving in and out of traffic, was driving on the median, came back into the northbound lanes and hit the sedan, causing it to swerve into the southbound lane, where it was struck by the red truck. The driver of the black truck then travelled up the hill to the CPR lines and fled on foot.
Was going to post this too, people see the pic and assume the red truck was the bad guy, truth is the red truck guy feels worse than the ahole in the black truck
Old 11-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #25
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinnerDog View Post
There is a first hand witness account posted on Reddit, the red truck in the photo in the Sun article is not the one that caused the accident. The red truck was travelling southbound, the black truck that caused the accident was travelling north, swerving in and out of traffic, was driving on the median, came back into the northbound lanes and hit the sedan, causing it to swerve into the southbound lane, where it was struck by the red truck. The driver of the black truck then travelled up the hill to the CPR lines and fled on foot.
I'm trying to picture how if the black truck was travelling northbound, went into the centre median, then back into northbound traffic how he would have - travelling from the median to the right into the NB traffic flow - hit the sedan in a way that caused it to go left - across the median into SB traffic to be struck by the red truck? Seems odd...

In any case, such a tragedy.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #26
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I'm trying to picture how if the black truck was travelling northbound, went into the centre median, then back into northbound traffic how he would have - travelling from the median to the right into the NB traffic flow - hit the sedan in a way that caused it to go left - across the median into SB traffic to be struck by the red truck? Seems odd...

In any case, such a tragedy.

PIT maneuver

In the PIT maneuver case, its a controlled maneuver to push the back end, if this guy cut back left to right at 120km/hr, it's not hard to see how it could send the sedan out of control over the median.

Last edited by gasman; 11-25-2021 at 04:11 PM.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:46 PM   #27
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So with Alberta having more heavy-duty trucks than any other province on the road, I'm supposed to buy a sedan and just pray to not end up like this poor family?

https://www.trucknews.com/products/s...ks-per-capita/

And truck sales in Alberta are only increasing. My commute car is a Mazda 3, and sometimes when I'm stopped beside a pickup at a red light all I see are giant wheels and fenders. I don't begrudge anyone from buying an SUV just to feel a little bit more safe on the roads
Except they're not. Two massive vehicles crashing isn't any safer. There's nothing you can do when someone rams you from behind but I prefer to be in a vehicle that's much more likely to avoid an accident.

#### trucks as passenger vehicles. I don't have anything against those who choose to drive them but I wish I could convince you not to.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #28
Knut

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1464015532122730506

Quote:
following an investigation into the double fatality hit-and-run collision on macleod trail s.e., we have charged yannick joseph bouchard, 51, of calgary, with:
• fail/refuse to comply with demand after an accident resulting in death
• two counts of dangerous operation causing death
• one count of dangerous operation causing bodily harm
• two counts of hit and run causing death
• one count of hit and run causing bodily harm
additional charges are pending and the investigation into the circumstances of the collision are ongoing. Bouchard remains in custody at this time pending his next court appearance.

Last edited by Knut; 11-25-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #29
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't begrudge anyone from buying an SUV just to feel a little bit more safe on the roads
Quote:
Conscientious SUV Shopper Just Wants Something That Will Kill Family In Other Car In Case Of Accident

PRESCOTT, AZ—Explaining that she did not have any strong preferences when it came to make or model, area woman Laura Bauer, a conscientious SUV shopper, confirmed Wednesday that she just wanted something that would kill the family in the other car if she got into an accident. “All I’m looking for is a sturdy, reliable vehicle that, in the event of a head-on collision, will completely ####ing obliterate both the parents and kids in the car we slam into,” said Bauer, who explained that features such as a sunroof or built-in navigation system were not as important to her as the assurance that came from sitting behind the wheel of a machine that could turn anything else on the road into a fiery, tangled mess of metal and flesh. “I don’t need anything fancy, just a practical, midsize SUV that gets good mileage and will easily slaughter a family of five during a 60-mph crash. The last thing I want is a flimsy sedan that takes out Mommy and Daddy in the front seat but leaves behind a couple of orphans in the back.” At press time, Bauer had reportedly decided to play it safe and add a 100-pound grille guard to the front bumper of the vehicle to ensure it would properly disfigure the other family’s corpses and make them impossible to identify.
https://www.theonion.com/conscientio...wil-1844930331
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:04 PM   #30
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
There needs to be a cable or jersey barrier on that median. It's not unusual to have vehicles traveling 80-100km/h both directions. If someone crosses and gets airborne its going to be a bad wreck.
Agree. The province has spent so much putting up cable barriers on Stoney where's there's already a 30 meter median but the city refuses to make Macleod safer.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #31
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bouchard refused a breathalyzer test, so I think it's fair dinkum to think he was likely impaired.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #32
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course he is. What sober person would drive like that other than Dany Heatley?

Piece of human excrement Bouchard should get 15 years but with our piss poor judicial system he will get 15 hours of community service.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #33
Knut

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-m...hter-1.5681114

Vicitims named. Pierre Mulamba and his daughter Ninelle Tshamwena. Immigrants from the DRC. So sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #34
Knut

Exp:

Macleod Trail closed again. This time a Stolen Vehicle was involved and someone is in life-threatening condition.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1465425502496190468
Old 11-29-2021, 03:47 PM   #35
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
If you want to murder someone, the “best” way to do so and recurve the lightest punishment is definitely to run them over with your vehicle.

Recently drivers have intentionally swerved to drive over bicyclists, and gotten tiny sentences.
I’ve been seeing this a lot recently. Examples of how car murder is like murder-lite when it comes to penalties.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:53 PM   #36
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some crazy **** happening on city roads this week. Be safe people.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...across-calgary

Quote:
Police have issued a plea for Calgarians to drive with care after five people were seriously injured in three separate collisions Saturday evening.

The crashes follow a devastating collision earlier in the week on Macleod Trail, in which a father and daughter were killed and another girl in the family was badly injured after the vehicle they were in was rear-ended.

The incidents have led police to issue a call for Calgarians to take more care on the road.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #37
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've noticed this with a bit more driving these days. It's like it was drag race open season while sane people were in lockdown or reducing trips where possible with COVID.

Now I'm seeing wackos that got used to wide open roads and no enforcement for 2 years driving the same way, like they were the only people left alive after COVID.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 11:06 AM   #38
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
After having a few beer, my cousin drove across the centre line and killed a couple of people. He served about two years in jail. He’s out now, has a second home in a Caribbean country, goes on with his regular life in Alberta.

I don’t understand how he got of so easily. I think he should still be in jail. The consequences for him were a joke.

Serious question - is he remorseful? Does he still drink to excess or did he change his lifestyle in any way (beyond going on with his regular life)?

That is, did prison rehabilitate him so he won't be doing this again?
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #39
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I've noticed this with a bit more driving these days. It's like it was drag race open season while sane people were in lockdown or reducing trips where possible with COVID.

Now I'm seeing wackos that got used to wide open roads and no enforcement for 2 years driving the same way, like they were the only people left alive after COVID.
Over the weekend, visiting my inlaws in Chestermere, some lunatic started tailgating me on 17th ave, because I was driving 10km below the speed limit and keeping a safe distance between me and the vehicle infront of me in icy conditions.

Also Chestermere seems to have the highest proportion of idiot drivers I've ever seen.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #40
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

The cops have been out like mad the entire time. Some areas have had at least two cop cars catching speeders.

Ask me how I know.