Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #41
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Still remember how the Dome was just fixated on him at the point on the PP during his first few years. You just knew he was either gonna score or hit one of his own players in the head.

More great memories than bad. All the best Dion.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #42
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Was there ever any truth to Iginla knocking him out in a parking lot fight back in the day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Highly doubt that. Dion was at the weekend's inductee ceremony to watch his old friend get accepted into the HHOF
Fair enough but I'm not sure that matters. Young 20somethings, professional athletes, two competitors like Jarome and Dion, it wouldn't be shocking if it came to a shove or two back in the back. You could've gotten into a fight with a friend 20 years ago two and forgotten it.

Iginla almost fought both Phaneuf and Giordano later in his career too.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #43
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Way back when I was working reception at the Saddledome, the Flames had been on a road trip that was not going well and Dion especially was in a slump. One of the trainers had me ship an entire box of sticks to Edmonton, same day delivery, because Dion was certain his sticks were the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 01:04 PM   #44
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Incidentally I was at the airport for two Dion trades and spotted him with his gear. First was Calgary to Toronto and second time he was traded was when Toronto was in Calgary to Ottawa.

I'm not sure what this means, but he wasn't happy both times.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #45
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't speak to Dion's behviour when out at Cowboys or places like that, but I've seen him interact in charity events many times.

He's probably one of the best hockey players I've seen around kids in terms of generosity and demeanor. He has this over-the-top loud personality around kids and it really resonates with them.

Never had a poor interaction with him.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #46
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460680564281856007

There’s also another good story about him in a Facebook link in the comments for this tweet

Last edited by mile; 11-16-2021 at 01:19 PM.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #47
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure that being a rookie on a team led by Jarome Iginla helped shape the man Dion turned into outside of the rink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #48
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

For you young kids out there who might not remember, imagine having a rookie Dman like Quinn Hughes who was built like Tom Wilson.

Phaneuf was something else in his first two seasons.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #49
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Yeah, I was a big fan his first couple of seasons. Here I was, many years ago...

Last edited by RW99; 11-16-2021 at 03:55 PM.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #50
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

He always put in 100% and the number of stories I've heard from ex-teammates sounds like he's a great guy/teammate. He's good buds with Kessel still which I think is neat
https://twitter.com/user/status/1460619511581876233
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
He's good buds with Kessel still which I think is neat
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 04:22 PM   #52
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

Modern day Three Stooges
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #53
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

From comments from that Ian Mendes Tweet.

Quote:
Story I thought I'd share:
Been seeing some mixed stories about Phaneuf about the player he is and such. Thought I'd share the story of when I met him.
It was during the year Ottawa was hosting the NHL All Star Game and Festivities.
I was actually working for the Senators at the time and was helping with some matters at the Chateau Laurier hotel downtown (This was the hotel we had the players staying at)
I had just the day previous had a entertaining dispute with Phil Kessel and His mother who were arguing with me that they wanted a discount on jerseys and merchandise to which I informed them that it was actually not allowed and in fact against the CBA and considered a form of bribery which would get both player, team and NHLPA in a lot of trouble. They shared some choice wording to me and other things that I will leave private.
All I could think was "this just adds to why I hate the maple leafs, and you make millions a year but complain about paying $150 for a jersey"
Jump ahead to the next day and a young boy was at the merchandise stand in the players hotel (he was not the child of a player simply a kid wanting to buy all-star gear) and he wanted to buy a jersey , hat, and a booklet. He unfortunately didn't have enough money.
As I stood there watching as he's trying to figure out what to keep I see come walking over Dion Phaneuf and his wife Elisha Cuthbert. They over hear this kid trying to decide what he wanted (none of which was Phaneuf or even Toronto maple leaf players in fact it was a Montreal player)
Phaneuf walks over to the kid and tells him "pick whatever you'd like buddy I got you covered" and proceeds to pay for everything the kid wanted.
I walk over at this point and shake his hand and say that was incredibly thoughtful. I jokingly said to him "why'd you have to go and do that, your boy Kessel made it easy for me to not like any Maple Leafs and you just made me have to go and like one" he had a good laugh said "you must be a sens fan, I've gotten that a lot since getting here"
Old 11-16-2021, 04:46 PM   #54
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Dion was my favorite player when I was a young kid. Thanks to him for helping shape my love for the game and congrats to him on a great career.

Prime Dion was something else
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #55
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I can't speak to Dion's behviour when out at Cowboys or places like that, but I've seen him interact in charity events many times.

He's probably one of the best hockey players I've seen around kids in terms of generosity and demeanor. He has this over-the-top loud personality around kids and it really resonates with them.

Never had a poor interaction with him.
It's funny - I always heard all the rumors about Dion at bars in Calgary and wonder how much of it was true vs fake.

I actually met him and some other Flames at Back Alley after a pre-season game once. He just happened to come stand next to me when I was ordering my drinks.

Had a quick chat with him and said good luck on the season, and when the bartender came back he paid for my drinks. He was super nice the whole time, and didn't seem to have an issue at all with the discussion.

About 15 minutes later though he was just surrounded with people hounding him in the bar, and of course some drunk idiot was trying to goad him into a fight. About 5 minutes later him and the other Flames players (I recall Boyd and Nystrom being there too) that were there that night decided just to leave.

Also felt bad for him as the rumors were circulating because I had a feeling it was less about who Dion was as an actual person, but more that the way he played on the ice made him a target for idiot tough guys trying to act cool at the bar.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #56
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he also matured over the years. He came into the league and after his rookie season was considered one of the Top 3 - alongside Crosby and AO.
Hard not to have that go to one's head.
Life has a way of humbling us all and I suspect over the years he grew up a lot. We all do.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #57
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

We still call Crosby Sid the Kid but he and Phaneuf were rookies together. And now he’s retiring.

Are we old?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #58
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460765504642203650

I forgot about this

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 05:55 PM   #59
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
You’d think by now people would be able to spell Jarome correctly.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #60
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Especially a reporter named Jermain.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: