Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #41
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel great about the Flames, they are playing fantastic.

I actually feel more confident some big changes are coming than I did at the beginning of the off-season. There are still too many unsettled situations on the roster, between contracts, Monahan’s level of play etc. Something is going to happen and I’m glad they’re playing well with all that in the background.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #42
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very pleased. I am slightly surprised but more so confirmed thus far with my optimistic thoughts on what the team could do. I am sure they will stop scoring eventually and adversity will hit but right now this has been a fun start.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #43
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shocked at how well they are doing to be honest. This is a roster that doesn't have a ton of skill on it, so scoring should have been at a premium. They are being paced by two guys that are white hot right now, so that is probably obscuring the lack of scoring elsewhere. Having said that, they are playing really quick aggressive hockey, which is surprising considering some of the bodies on the roster. The defense has been way better than anticipated, which is the biggest surprise of them all, but they have played together as a team. There is some optimism, but guarded optimism. Two guys accounting for 66% of all goals scored is not good, unless you're Edmonton. Have to see some other guys put the puck in the net. Also have to see this success continue within the division and against some Canadian teams. It is weird, but we play one divisional game in the next month, so we may not be able to gain maximum advantage from this start.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #44
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not surprised but also did not think they would start 4-1-1. Have been able to only watch the Detroit game but based on comments on the board they are controlling play. However my mindset of the team and the core will only change when they show they can do it in crunch time and tight checking playoff hockey.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 11:02 AM   #45
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I really like our 1st and 3rd line. I think that will stick all year. I believe that Pitlick Coleman and Backlund will be one of the best 3rd lines in the league

Our first line has potential to be one of the best as really Tkachuk hasn't produced that much yet.

At some point Mangiapane and Dube will slow up. Ritchie eventually will hurt their play and when they hit a dry patch this team probably loses a bit more than they have been.

I think the key is Monahan. When Richardson comes back I assume Monahan will center Dube and Mangiapane. Monahan needs to produce and if he can return to something close to his old form then maybe the 2nd line will keep it up. If he drags that line down this team will fall in the standings.

Right now our d has been very good. At some point guys like Gudbrannson and Valimaki will have bad games and cost us.

Absolutely love Kylington and Tanev so far but is Kylington really this good? His speed is elite so maybe this is his breakout year but a bit skeptical he is this good.

I'm fine with the goalies. Markstrom's numbers are great but he has had some off games so I think he can keep it up.

What's different this year for past years is they have played great almost every period. To me this is a Sutter thing and that is our x factor. Will he finely get the most out of this group? Still early but looking great so far.

Monahan, Kylington, Valimaki are the keys to this team. Dube and Mangiapane have been great and will slow up but I'm confident they are just growing as players and they are evolving into 2nd line players (Mangiapane might be 1st line caliber). Kylington and Valimaki always have had potential and Kylington has never really got a crack and Valimaki had a horrible rookie year but it is realistic that they are way better than they played last year as they get older and more confident.

Monahan needs to step up or we should just dump him in a trade and call up one of Zary or Pelletier at the deadline. They can't be any worse than he has been the last year and a half
i am a huge Mony fan and have hated the negative posts about him but this was well put and matter of fact...and i believe he will bounce back and make that second line dangerous.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #46
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fans that said they were a bottom feeder now moving the goalpost and saying "do it in the playoffs". Flames must be doing well.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #47
Jethro Choicebro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

(from reddit) https://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

MoneyPuck has us with the 2nd best odds to make the playoffs, and the best odds for the cup.

Not sure I'd go that far given the sample size but certainly a great proof of concept that if playing the right way this team compete against good teams.

I think the question will be once Lindholm's and Mangiapane's scoring pace slows to more normal if others can pick it up
Jethro Choicebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jethro Choicebro For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #48
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am optimistic in the coaching staff but realize this team has holes to fill. The most glaring being the addition of a top 6 forward.

Sutter has everyone buying in right now but this team is not as deep as it needs to be.

If we could add a player like Forsberg, Rakkel, Konecy or Brown we would be better off.

Adding an additional defender would also be of interest but Kylington is really making a case to stay in that top 4. I would of never guessed prior to training camp that he would of taken this big of a step.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #49
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Peter Maher always said you can't judge a team until at least 20 games have been played.

It would appear though that Darryl is making a huge difference.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #50
Backstop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am just enjoying the current on ice product, the team and the games this year have been highly entertaining and I am leaving it at that without putting expectations on it.
Backstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #51
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Loving it doing get me wrong, a great start is rare here and is needed, has cost us positioning in the past.. however.. regular season really hasn't been the major issue here. 18/19, won the west, have made playoffs 2 of the last 2 seasons. Going back to 06- won the division. We have had nice streaks, 10 in a row the Brian Elliot year. What is the similarity with all those years? ZERO playoff wins. Again, happy they are playing well but lets see if they change the playoff fortunes, regular seasons have been decent and we have had streaks like this. GFG
Old 10-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #52
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

ZERO playoff round wins*
Old 10-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #53
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do t think it’s the wins that cause optimism, it’s how they are being achieved. Solid play throughout the lineup from the net on out. And the lines seem to have chemistry.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #54
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Another thing to be noted is that in the two games they lost, they played pretty good
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #55
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Most important thing is absolutely the way they are winning.

Not relying on bounces or heroic goaltending. We've had lengthy streaks where you just prayed it would last as long as possible, cause you knew there would be a letdown once fortune stopped playing in their favour. It's been full marks here, and you just get a sense that the team has a higher baseline with their compete level than years past, and that they could go on plenty of streaks by just going out and plugging away the way they have since day one.

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-27-2021 at 11:23 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #56
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
ZERO playoff round wins*
Gaudreau, Monahan, and Backlund were all members of the 2015 team that won a round against a 100+ point team. Not sure why you'd omit that year.

It's interesring to think that since that hear though, Mangiapane/Andersson/Hanifin/Tkachuk/Dube/Kylington/Valimaki/Coleman/Pitlick all entered the league.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #57
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel Kylington about the team. Watching Kylington is just a pleasant time.

I really miss Bennett though. If what happened in Florida could have happened here (and with another year of Sutter, it might have) then I’d be really confident about this team having an impact once the games get important. But what’s done is done and somebody else will have to step up.

Then again, until Gaudreau is signed or traded I’ll be uneasy about the future. One or the other has to happen and it definitely should be a signing.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #58
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're winning
They look good while winning
The underlying numbers match the eye test

So far so good. I was hoping Sutter would be the miracle we needed, feeling a little bit more optimistic he just might be.

But as always with this team, once I finally jump in with both feet I'm fully expecting them to take a big juicy dump on my head lol
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #59
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames also have the advantage that teams wont game plan as much or have the book on them like they did in the shortened season. Being able to get the jump on teams that don't know what this team is all about this year will go a long way. I have a feeling they will catch a lot of eastern teams sleeping.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #60
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have one regulation loss this season Ina game they had 47 shots after not playing for 8 days. Lost on some bounces.

Outplayed the other team 6 straight...which I can't remember happening. Not going to win every game but play hard like this every game and they should cruise to the playoffs