Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #501
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

NM I am blind

Jets = NG
Old 10-08-2021, 11:58 PM   #502
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
It was hard to recognize Hanifin. Did he become that much slower?

He had a CF% of 28.57.

Where does Andersson fit in? Last night a CF% 35.71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Thanks ... He does not look ready.
^^These did not age well

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2021, 11:09 PM   #503
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
For what it's worth, Evolving-Hockey's model pegged Coleman as the seventh-most valuable skater on the 2021 Lightning. Behind only Point, Hedman, Gourde, Palat, Killorn, and Cernak. Ahead of Stamkos, Cirelli, Sergachev, Johnson, Goodrow, Colton, McDonagh, Foote, etc.

15th definitely seems like a massive stretch. Coleman is a very good player and has a history of excellent play in a top-six role (with NJ).
I’m sure Coleman is and has been a fine top/middle-6 forward for much of his career, and 15th is obviously some hyperbole.

But he’s the exact sort of player you don’t overpay to acquire. An aging winger who is nowhere close to the best player on his team.

Just like Neal, just like Brouwer, just like Glencross. Just like Hudler, who was better than Coleman could ever dream of being (and 28 when he signed with us the first time, AND a non-day 1 signing at that).

Like, Gio signed his extension at 31 and earned or outperformed his contract every year.

If Coleman is a $5M player for two of these six years, I will be pleasantly surprised. After all, neither of the last two day 1 UFA wingers on the wrong side of 30 justified their acquisitions.

Brouwer’s cap penalty expires after this year. We have another two years of paying $3.5M enforcer Milan Lucic $5.4M.

I wonder when and how we’ll need to disappear Blake Coleman over the next six years, but I don’t wonder if.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:37 PM   #504
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are acting like they gave him 10M

4.9 is not a huge cap hit these days...I bet he earns that the entire deal
Old 10-09-2021, 11:47 PM   #505
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Wasn't Glencross a really great UFA signing?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2021, 12:11 AM   #506
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

I’ll take that bet, what constitutes earns in the last year of his contract? Personally I think you’ll get 3 good years out of that contract and then a drop off, and a move to the bottom 6.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:11 AM   #507
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Wasn't Glencross a really great UFA signing?
As a 26 year old. And Glencross never carried a cap hit higher than $2.5, which was a raise from his first UFA deal.

By the time he was 33, he was out of the league, and he had been a lock for 30 points when healthy for six years.

Two years after Hudler scored 76 points, he scored 11 with Dallas and never played in the show again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

I’m acting like he’s a 30-year old UFA middle-6 winger.

He’s not a defenseman and he’s not the sort of player who’ll be able to compensate for his decline in physical abilities the way the stars can.

Look, Brouwer and Neal didn’t earn their cheques a day in their time here - if Coleman has two or three productive years here, it’s an improvement of sorts.

But there was a reason Brad traded Glencross and Hudler, and he was right both times.

Because extending 32 year old wingers who, respectfully, aren’t anything special, is not a wise use of resources in a cap environment. Never mind a flat cap one.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 10-10-2021 at 01:38 AM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2021, 05:07 AM   #508
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coleman was a late bloomer though and only this past season just passed 300 regular season games played and has only 4 full NHL seasons and a 23 game cup of coffee to start his NHL career. Two of those full seasons are covid seasons to boot. I think at this point in his career he has plenty more left in the tank then the players you mentioned in comparison. Years 1-4 of this contract honestly could end up being a steal if Coleman can consistently bring what he’s been capable of in other cities and I think his contract is about what can be expected from dipping into the UFA pool.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:31 AM   #509
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Coleman was a late bloomer though and only this past season just passed 300 regular season games played and has only 4 full NHL seasons and a 23 game cup of coffee to start his NHL career. Two of those full seasons are covid seasons to boot. I think at this point in his career he has plenty more left in the tank then the players you mentioned in comparison. Years 1-4 of this contract honestly could end up being a steal if Coleman can consistently bring what he’s been capable of in other cities and I think his contract is about what can be expected from dipping into the UFA pool.
Did he have much PP time at New Jersey?

Wonder if he'll get PP time on the second unit
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #510
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtravellee View Post
Did he have much PP time at New Jersey?

Wonder if he'll get PP time on the second unit
He was doing it all for the Devils, although I don’t think he had tons of pp time. I was actively following him because he was killing it in a hockey pool for me. Granted, that team was super shallow, but he stepped up everywhere. Had 3 ppg and 3 shg with 213 shots on net in 18/19 (which would have put him behind Johnny for second on the Flames). While doing that he put up 225 hits (15th most in the league, three back of Zadorov).

Put him in a role, and he’ll bust his ass the best he can.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #511
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm in the middle on this one.

At his age he is likely to disappoint on the last third of his deal ... pretty much every player other than Giordano does.

On the positive side though, he does almost everything right and is a complete 200 foot player. With that there are parts of his game that won't fade and become a complete boat anchor.

That's different than any of Neal, Brouwer or Hudler.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote