Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #41
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
It is very concerning, but 82 games of full contact hockey would not be possible without it.

The true solution would be to reduce the number of games. But that will never happen since everyone would need to agree to a pay cut.
benzo's aren't pain killers, athletes mostly take them to calm their nerves and to get a good nights sleep. But long term, as with most drugs they are not good for you, some study's show a risk of early Alzheimer's, Dementia and even Cancer
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:06 PM   #42
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
benzo's aren't pain killers, athletes mostly take them to calm their nerves and to get a good nights sleep. But long term, as with most drugs they are not good for you, some study's show a risk of early Alzheimer's, Dementia and even Cancer
Benzo's are well known for their addictive properties and people often have a hard time stopping useage if they have been on them for a long time.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:33 PM   #43
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Something about Lehners tone and statements are very victim focused and something about them don’t sit right with me as if the players have zero accountability with all of this. Are they being tied down and forced to take these drugs or am I missing something?
you spend your whole life basically training and playing hockey, you may be bright and so did ok at high school while training but chances are you just did enough to get through school betting on making the show, the drugs start fairly early in all pro sports and hockey wont be any different, by major Jnr you are being trained to take what you are given and not question, if you decide not to take the drugs you are

a) some kind of potential trouble maker who might rat the whole system out

b) not being as effective an athlete as you could be and so suspect

Both will get you traded, possibly end your career, what then?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 11:40 PM   #44
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

The other thing about the drugs is that they often actually help at the time, so there isn't necessarily a strong incentive to refuse them.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:42 PM   #45
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Benzo's are well known for their addictive properties and people often have a hard time stopping useage if they have been on them for a long time.
Yup, I've known a few people who I suspected are addicted to Xanax or Valium, the jittery highs and calm lows are one dead giveaway as is if you see someone one day with twitchy legs and the next day not a movement at all it's a good guess they they're on benzo's. the long term effects on the body are probably as bad or maybe worst than anabolic steroids.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 11:46 PM   #46
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
The other thing about the drugs is that they often actually help at the time, so there isn't necessarily a strong incentive to refuse them.
A longer healthy life is a pretty good incentive if you ask me or many many doctors.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:39 AM   #47
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
If perscribed over a short period of time, they can help calm a person down so they have the ability and focus to deal with therapy that will help them overcome their anxiety.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #48
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
A longer healthy life is a pretty good incentive if you ask me or many many doctors.
I agree, but that isn't necessarily top of mind for young athletes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
If perscribed over a short period of time, they can help calm a person down so they have the ability and focus to deal with therapy that will help them overcome their anxiety.
True, and therein lies the danger.

My point was that because the short-term effects are desirable the risk of abuse is very real.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #49
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flyers coach not too happy with Lehner for saying he had anything to do with players and pills. Article is on ESPN website, says he doesn't have a need for a side income providing pills, and that he doesn't even know Lehner.

I know Lehner has had depression and anxiety in the past but I don't think he should take it upon himself to throw others under the bus, especially ones he knows nothing about. If he has a problem with how things are done then begin the discussion with the NHLPA and see where that leads him, after all they represent the players on all issues (haha on NHLPA who do nothing except worry about the top 10% of players)
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 12:06 PM   #50
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1445060829213233166
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #51
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Not a shock, you hear the stories all the time

Seriously. I can't even get T3's ffs, any time I have any sort of pain a doctor just tells me to take advil

When my back was real messed up all the doctors wanted to do was give me pills and no real answers or solutions. I would flat out tell them to forget the prescriptions. (side note, don't settle for terrible doctors, great ones are out there.)
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:20 PM   #52
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

The widespread use of drugs in the NHL shouldn’t come as a shock to anyone, the number of injuries and the training/dedication that goes into being a top performer results in a perfect recipe for substance misuse. It wasn’t long ago that Ryan Kesler had an article talking about how he had GI bleeds due to long term Toradol prescriptions for pain. All sports and hockey in particular have a culture that mythologizes the players who play through pain, but maybe this the uncomfortable look as to how this is possible.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 12:42 PM   #53
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Sestito is a scumbag racist. His support of Lehner is not a positive
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #54
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
I fail to see the connection between the two subjects. What is his stance on vaccinations?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #55
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
you spend your whole life basically training and playing hockey, you may be bright and so did ok at high school while training but chances are you just did enough to get through school betting on making the show, the drugs start fairly early in all pro sports and hockey wont be any different, by major Jnr you are being trained to take what you are given and not question, if you decide not to take the drugs you are

a) some kind of potential trouble maker who might rat the whole system out

b) not being as effective an athlete as you could be and so suspect

Both will get you traded, possibly end your career, what then?
Spot on, and to he statement that anyone is free to refuse that someone else made, it's important to remember that there are more positions in the NHL than superstars. So yes, McDavid, or MAF, or Crosby, etc.. is free to say no. No team would want to go down that road with a bankable star. But the depth guys that can be replaced don't have that luxury. If the team says, "take 'x' so that you can be back in the lineup, or maybe your role goes to someone else and you don't get another chance', how many guys that have made it the NHL, but are in fear of losing their spot there are going to argue.
GhostCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GhostCookie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #56
Lonestar
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I played NCAA baseball from 2009-2013, there was no shortage of trainers that would suggest medications for everything from pain to anxiety and insomnia, nor a lack of doctors that would prescribe without a second question. We were even "coached" on which degrees and career paths to decide upon based off availability of tutors and class schedules. Baseball may be different and I never sniffed the level that Lehner exists in, but there is an abundance of decision makers that are looking to win and make more money that have little reservations in manipulating bodies and minds. I think it exists at every level of every sport.

It's been said above, but this isn't surprising at all. The twitter dialogue might be something that helps Lehner through his own diagnoses but whatever the reason behind his speaking up about this, I'm standing in applause.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lonestar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 05:41 PM   #57
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I listened to 32 Thoughts this afternoon, and I have to say that I like what Marek had to say. To the effect of - these guys knowingly sacrifice their bodies in an effort to earn life-changing money, and that comes with a lot of pain, pressure, stress and anxiety; guys do what they can to cope, so we should not be too critical or self- righteous about their use of "aids". I think that captures the spirit of the thing.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 06:25 PM   #58
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I listened to 32 Thoughts this afternoon, and I have to say that I like what Marek had to say. To the effect of - these guys knowingly sacrifice their bodies in an effort to earn life-changing money, and that comes with a lot of pain, pressure, stress and anxiety; guys do what they can to cope, so we should not be too critical or self- righteous about their use of "aids". I think that captures the spirit of the thing.

Yeah, but Marek is a company man and acts like his life is over if he's not talking about hockey or the latest greatest hockey book that nobody gives a damn about. I'm all about the the unnecessary self-righteous aspect but the fact non of these guys reported on many of the things they know just shows it's all about keeping the party going. Plus he's dying to be MacLean lite and that's bothered me. I wish he'd just give the reins to Friedman and be done with the podcast thing because he seems like such a self-indulgent hack.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:41 PM   #59
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I don't care what they use, but they need to be making informed decisions. I suspect that a lot of them aren't being told about the risks.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #60
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post

Doesn't make what he's saying here any less true or false.

Tags
edmonton is no good