Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #41
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh, sorry, ignore all my advice. I thought you said you wanted a decent cup of coffee. Even thoguh it's pretty low effort, it's not a pod. That's your option for easy. Everything else requires a mediocome of effort for decent. I think need a venn diagram here...
I don't want pods. I want a coffee machine that makes a quality cup of coffee with minimal effort.

See the links I posted in my previous post.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #42
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, honestly I'd still go back to my first recommendation then, for your price range.

Braun and the grinder. Personally I think those fancy machines promise a lot more than they can deliver. Coffee needs hot water dripped over grounds. As long as it has a decent shower head, and gets the temp right, your there. Maybe I'm wrong, but the facts never added up on those things to me.

Fresh ground witha burr grinder will give you better coffee than buying an expensive machine and using pre-ground. And it really takes very little extra effort over scooping form a bag.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #43
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I'm also looking for something that does single serve. I do not need or want an entire pot of coffee. I have to watch my caffeine intake and need to be able to alternate between caffeine (1 cup in morning) and decaf (1 cup before noon).

Grinding myself sounds like a lot of work but we can ease into that. Not gonna lie, I was hoping for some sort of magical, all in one grinder and single serve maker.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #44
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What about a Bialetti? You can get different size pots incase your friend comes over.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:56 PM   #45
Hoj
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Long time member, big Flames fan and daily forum visitor here! Bit of context, I've been working professionally in the specialty coffee industry (for quite a while) and involved with one of the local coffee companies mentioned here. I want to respect forum protocol so I won't name it (feel free to pm me).

Anyways, all that to say in that I don't mind offering as much feedback and perspective on whatever coffee questions there are. Specialty industry and home brewing / setups have been growing and have been really popular throughout the pandemic. Love to see the interest and questions being posted and also for the great local support many of you have been showing to some YYC and area roasters.

There have been some good suggestions and recommendations. For the most part, you get what you pay for in terms of both $ and effort. There are some decent auto (grind and brew) machines for both filter and espresso. And for sure you can't beat the convenience of a single button nespresso. But IMO you can never really get close to grinding and brewing fresh.

Most important thing: buy the best quality coffee you can afford, and grind it as fresh as possible!
Hoj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hoj For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #46
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm also looking for something that does single serve. I do not need or want an entire pot of coffee. I have to watch my caffeine intake and need to be able to alternate between caffeine (1 cup in morning) and decaf (1 cup before noon).

Grinding myself sounds like a lot of work but we can ease into that. Not gonna lie, I was hoping for some sort of magical, all in one grinder and single serve maker.
Ah, ok then that machine is to big.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #47
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

what you need is the Jura Giga 6

https://ca.jura.com/en/homeproducts/...inium-NA-15274
Old 05-06-2021, 08:01 PM   #48
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Lol. About $7700 over budget.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #49
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We used to have one of those machines that ground the beans automatically from a bin on top before brewing. If you filled the tray what happened was you had beans in the tray going bad if you didn’t drink 12 cups a day. So you try to put less beans in the tray to keep the rest in a better sealed container but then you’re always on the edge of beans running out when you’re lazy and just want to push a button. You also ended up with grounds travelling through the machine and building up a clog inside that needed to be cleaned regularly and always happens when you’re desperate for a cup. Maybe I’m just always desperate for a cup though. I wonder what happened to that machine.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:33 AM   #50
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I currently grind my own beans, usually from Monogram or Phil and Sebastian and then do the pour over method. I'm quite happy with the results, but it can be time consuming.

Are there any machines out there that can mimic the pour over results, but in a more automated fashion?
Have a look at the Ratio Six.
https://ratiocoffee.com/products/ratio-six
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sl888 For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 05-07-2021, 05:18 AM   #51
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

First time I've heard of a burr grinder. Any major differences when compared to a blade grinder I've been using? I just use a drip machine if that matters.

I've been buying that Ethiopian ground coffee a lot from Superstore which I find fantastic. Would typically buy Folgers, Nabob, or just the Superstore brand stuff for years but once I tasted the Ethiopian I haven't touched the other stuff at all for about a year now. The difference in taste is staggering to me but I imagine there are better brands/roasteries that make that type of coffee. I've just been to lazy to look.

I'm also a sucker for flavoured coffee, especially hazelnut flavoured types. But I've tried some really wack flavours mostly out of curiosity, some I liked, others I found were disgusting and threw it out right away lol
BlAcKNoVa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #52
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

This is what you want: https://www.amazon.ca/MELITTA-Plasti...ef=sr_1_4_sspa

Pair that with a Black and Decker cordless kettle.

Cleanup involves dumping the filter in the compost bucket and giving it a quick rinse. Honestly, it's almost as fast as the Keurig, which I also have.

I have tried every brewing device out there, including using a grind and brew maker for a few years. Those are actually surprisingly inconvenient, as any time you might save on brewing gets paid back twofold when it comes time to cleaning the damn thing.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #53
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I purchased an ECM Mechanika V Slim espresso machine last July in a bundle with a Baraza Sette 270 grinder from espressoplanet.com. I actually tired to purchase locally first from Espressoworks in Calgary but there were massive supply shortages everywhere for espresso machines and they weren't sure when they would have the machine in stock again.

The Sette was way too loud so I did trade that up for a Niche Zero which was very worth it for a more user friendly grinder, better ground coffee, and very quiet machine.

It's been a fun hobby for the past year and my latte art has gotten pretty decent in that time as well. Espresso is pretty time consuming and can be costly as well so i recommend it only if you're going to enjoy making the coffee, spending 5 minutes on every drink, etc.

For anyone starting out, I would recommend getting a good hand grinder and then just using any pourover or infusion brewer (French Press, Clever, V60, etc.). Also, buy your beans from a local roaster. Every time I've been tempted enough to try a new bag of beans from Costco it has been utterly disappointing.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #54
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I like my coffee like I like my woman, luke warm and bitter ground up and in the freezer.

That is all.

ftfy
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #55
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting. I have the Baratza Sette and the Encore. The Encore is good but isn't great for espresso, but I use that for when I use the aeropress or Bialetti. The Sette makes a nice espresso but the grind settings change when it grinds. The fine setting moves so you have to change it back to desired settings every time. I guess there is a shim kit you can purchase for it, but to me it should work properly. Especially for the money. I will have to check out the Niche Zero. Where did you buy it?

I have a Rocket Appartamento machine which has been awesome. I love my morning espresso's.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #56
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

If you want good coffee for a decent price, buy a decent grinder and a pour over.

Quick and fast.

Anyone ever ordered beans from Buy Coffee Canada? They supposedly roast them as orders get placed, but I've found some to be stale.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #57
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Interesting. I have the Baratza Sette and the Encore. The Encore is good but isn't great for espresso, but I use that for when I use the aeropress or Bialetti. The Sette makes a nice espresso but the grind settings change when it grinds. The fine setting moves so you have to change it back to desired settings every time. I guess there is a shim kit you can purchase for it, but to me it should work properly. Especially for the money. I will have to check out the Niche Zero. Where did you buy it?

I have a Rocket Appartamento machine which has been awesome. I love my morning espresso's.
So for the Sette the shims came with the grinder. I noticed pretty quickly that the grind was way too coarse even at the finest settings so I added two shims right away and that fixed it great. I didn't notice the grind adjustment slipping at all (but there is a fair amount of vibration ).

I purchased the Niche from indiegogo.com since that was the only place they sold it. They do sell through their website now although they apparently sell out within hours. https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/

It is an awesome little grinder but for the price point and how difficult it is to actually purchase, I would actually recommend the Eureka Mignon Specialita https://idrinkcoffee.com/products/eu...8aAh-8EALw_wcB. Much better build quality than the Sette and has large 55mm flat burrs.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #58
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
I purchased an ECM Mechanika V Slim espresso machine last July in a bundle with a Baraza Sette 270 grinder from espressoplanet.com. I actually tired to purchase locally first from Espressoworks in Calgary but there were massive supply shortages everywhere for espresso machines and they weren't sure when they would have the machine in stock again.

The Sette was way too loud so I did trade that up for a Niche Zero which was very worth it for a more user friendly grinder, better ground coffee, and very quiet machine.

It's been a fun hobby for the past year and my latte art has gotten pretty decent in that time as well. Espresso is pretty time consuming and can be costly as well so i recommend it only if you're going to enjoy making the coffee, spending 5 minutes on every drink, etc.

For anyone starting out, I would recommend getting a good hand grinder and then just using any pourover or infusion brewer (French Press, Clever, V60, etc.). Also, buy your beans from a local roaster. Every time I've been tempted enough to try a new bag of beans from Costco it has been utterly disappointing.
I covet that Niche grinder, it would be perfect for my setup. My current dilemma is I am due for new burrs on my Mazzer, do I bother or just take the plunge on a Niche? I have an old conical burr Saeco for pour over etc. grinding, this would just be for espresso.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #59
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking a unit like one of these two. From the Coffee Maker thread from a few months ago.

https://www.amazon.ca/Moccamaster-10...6511899&sr=8-7

or this

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/n...-0430077p.html

That Moccamaster is a little out of my price range but it is the right idea. Anyone use one of the Ninja machines?
I may be wrong but all of these still have steps over and above "pushing a button"

You need to both fill and empty the grounds; fill the water; i cannot tell what sort of filter they use and if that is needed as a replacement - it may not.

Having had similar machines in the past (i used to have a built in/pullout one - they are more frustrating than convenient. There is nothing worse than going to push the button and having to replace the water or empty the coffee grounds lol
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 11:01 AM   #60
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I applaud Cecil's unique brand of laziness AND snobbiness, but I really want to punch him in the back of the head here.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote