Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #1
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Docker - anyone using it well enough to assist?

I'm trying to run a Docker project - on either Windows or Linux and getting errors no matter what I do. I'm just a dumb tax guy with a reasonable tech background, but this is puzzling me no end.

Looking for some assistance from someone who actually understands this piece of steaming poop! (Really - how had can it be just to INSTALL and RUN something? Oof - apparently the answer is "not very"....) Have wasted massive amounts of hours googling and reading and still having issues.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:19 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Sure I've put a number of things in Docker, not a total expert but have some experience.

What are you having problems with? Writing a Dockerfile or just with installing Docker itself? On Windows it should just be downloading the Docker Desktop application and installing (I run it on a Mac not Windows, but it looks the same). On Linux the OS package manager should have it though if you want to run a current version you'd have to lookup on their website on how to do that for your particular OS (on RedHat you just setup a repo for it).

Keep in mind that Docker isn't virtualization (though the Windows version does have some virtualization included).

Windows can be more difficult too as there's a bunch of limitations about what can run where.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey - thanks photon, for the offer...I've kind of abandoned that project as it appears that Telus is installing Fibre here "soonish" and my tracking of Starlink stats in Docker is going to be moot pretty quickly...ish. (Knowing them, they'll get my hopes up and then get around to doing the fibre install in 2097....)
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post: