Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #1
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Data Recover Software or Services

Hey guys, looking for some advice here.

I have an FLIR Direct DVR that was used for recording CCTV security footage. The footage writes over itself every couple of months (I think). I unplugged and deactivated the system in March 2019 and it has been sitting it storage since.

I fired it up hoping that I could export the last few months since nothing has been recording, but when I turned it on, the calendar was today's date and none of the old footage was accessible. I guess there must be an internal power source to keep the clock moving.

But since it was unplugged and not recording, it seems to me that the data should still be there just waiting to be written over.

I have some images on there that I would like to use for an upcoming court case.

So I guess I have a few questions, it there a publicly available software that a layman like me could install on my PC to extract the data, or is there a company that could do it for me? Keep in mind, I am in BC, so I won't have access to Calgary businesses. Would Best Buy do something like that?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

EaseUS is simple to use and works pretty well. Recuva is highly regarded have not used in a while but worth checking out.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 02:16 PM   #3
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Certain things I'd be wondering about:

If the data is important in a court case, I wonder if it's more prudent to use a professional data recovery business rather than DIY. There may be more implications other than data isn't available/damaged. I'd definitely not recommend using some amateur at a Bestbuy or something.

You could use certain recovery programs and yes there are publicly available and even free options, but keep in mind that using these programs could make it less and less likely to recover the data if the scans fail.

I mean, in theory the difficulty isn't horrifically different than cloning a drive, but I've seen and heard of wildly different success rates for data recovery on hard drives. For something like your situation, I'd definitely consider going with a pro. Even if he fails to get the info, it cannot as easily be blamed on your actions.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The software I mentioned does not alter the contents of the drive. Windows might though if it sees the drive as bad it could try to "repair" making recovery harder or impossible.

If you don't know anything about data recovery and the data is that important I agree on the advice to take it to a pro.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't know the drive format, do you? Worst case, you plug it in to your computer, and accidentally wipe it. Most of those recovery programs aren't going to help if it is an obscure format. If you don't really know what you are doing, and it is important, send it away. I've used Restoringdata and they have been great. It will most likely be under $1000, but they can give you an estimate, it may be much cheaper if it is just rebuilding the FAT.

They have a few BC locations, I just send mine in.
https://www.restoringdata.ca/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to say something similar, is it recording to an SSD? Because it's possible if you gave it to memoryexpress (assuming they're as good there as they are here) they may be able to pull off whatever's there. They managed to get literally everything off of an NVME drive that was shot for me a few months back.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Years ago at my old job the computer with all the accounting data had a drive that failed. Memory Express got everything off of it and pretty much saved us. We started a far more robust back-up plan after that happened!
Old 02-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #8
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just an FYI:

Memory express uses iCube Development for restoring data and they are great.

They will analyze and diagnose your drive prior and won't charge a thing until they actually are able to extract anything. So there's no harm in checking your drive.

Took my failed drive to a few other companies who couldn't promise me anything. These guys retrieved everything off my drive.

Last edited by csnarpy; 02-02-2021 at 08:16 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:33 AM   #9
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Just an FYI:

Memory express uses iCube Development for restoring data and they are great.

They will analyze and diagnose your drive prior and won't charge a thing until they actually are able to extract anything. So there's no harm in checking your drive.

Took my failed drive to a few other companies who couldn't promise me anything. These guys retrieved everything off my drive.
My friend Matt is the IT Director there, they are the pros in town for this stuff.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LIP MAN For This Useful Post: