Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #21
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Accord's suggestion finally allowed me to connect. No I'm not sure what disabling NLA means as far as security goes or other potential issues or why it's now required to work?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #22
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

In simple terms, NLA forces authentication prior to making a connection to the target machine. In RDP of old, you would connect to a machine and end up at the login screen, where you would then enter your username and password. NLA now requires the RDP client to pass credentials prior to even making a successful connection.

As long as you aren't exposing the RDP port to the public internet, then you're fine. If you are, I'd recommend not doing so and either setting up a VPN, or using a different remote access tool for remote control from the internet.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #23
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok good stuff. No, this is only accessed from my home network.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #24
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well another windows update, another round of broken RDP software.

Last time I ran into this, I went with Accords suggestion and that worked. That option is still unchecked but back to the same issue. I've even tried activating that option, same result. I've tried turning off the firewall too to make sure that's not causing a problem, same result.

Anyone else running into this?
Old 04-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #25
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything in the Event Viewer that correlates to your logon attempts?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:11 PM   #26
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the computer I'm trying to run the connection from? No, I don't think so. What section of EV should I be looking in?
Old 04-16-2021, 07:49 AM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the computer you connect to. Check the security log immediately after trying to connect. If you don't see anything obvious there, check the application and system logs.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #28
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only thing I'm seeing in the Security Logs is "Audit Success"

Nothing obvious in the other logs. I assume I'd see some reference to RDP and it being denied?
Old 04-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #29
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, there'd be an audit failure of some sort. I assume you can ping it and see it on the network?
Old 04-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #30
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, shows up clear as day in the Unifi software and no issues pinging it. It's just so damn odd.

On the remote desktop setting page, at the top in big read letters it said "some setting are managed by your organization" which is odd as it's just in workgroup, no domains. Took a group policy refresh to get rid of that.

I think it's just a borked PC....I'm honestly at a loss.

I mean, this shouldn't be hard, should it? You should be able to RDP into any computer on your local network assuming they are on similar versions of windows? If that's the case and I'm having an issue creating an RDP into an PC in my house, that may indicate a firewall issue in the router maybe? Does local traffic even pass through a routers firewall?

**edit**
Just for clarity, when you ask if I can see that PC on my network, do you mean does it show up under the network tab in in windows explorer? That I'm not so sure of but I can absolutely ping it from the PC I'm trying to RDP from.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 04-19-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, you may not see it in the network tab, that is not all that reliable. Are you RDC by ip address or name? I'd definitely try just the ip address. Another thing that can screw it up is the network profiles for Windows firewall. You could try disabling the firewall just to see if it works, but you should be on the private profile.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:45 PM   #32
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, you may not see it in the network tab, that is not all that reliable. Are you RDC by ip address or name? I'd definitely try just the ip address. Another thing that can screw it up is the network profiles for Windows firewall. You could try disabling the firewall just to see if it works, but you should be on the private profile.
Definitely temporarily turn off all the Windows (and any other) software firewalls in your debugging. No firewall setting in your Unifi (or other router) should interfere internally - other than providing IP connection, there shouldn't be any router function.

Assume you're not crossing from one VLAN to another? (Do you have VLANs?)

And, just for testing, do you have a spare router you can dummy up a quick network in, connect both machines and try RDP? Might be instructive.

And a curiosity: have you tried accessing the machine remotely from "outside" your network, with port-forwarding temporarily enabled to that machine/IP?
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #33
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've tried both. Yep, on private network on both PC's. I may just nuke/pave TBH. This is becoming way too much hassle.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #34
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Definitely temporarily turn off all the Windows (and any other) software firewalls in your debugging. No firewall setting in your Unifi (or other router) should interfere internally - other than providing IP connection, there shouldn't be any router function.

I tried turning off the firewall on the target PC, should I do the same on the PC I'm trying to connect from?

Assume you're not crossing from one VLAN to another? (Do you have VLANs?)

No, no VLAN's at all

And, just for testing, do you have a spare router you can dummy up a quick network in, connect both machines and try RDP? Might be instructive.

Actually yes, I do. I have my old edgerouter. May need to wait for a long weekend as I don't want to mess up our network with wife WFH full time and me every other week.

And a curiosity: have you tried accessing the machine remotely from "outside" your network, with port-forwarding temporarily enabled to that machine/IP?
No, that's getting a bit beyond my skills.
Have to enter something here to post
Old 04-19-2021, 10:02 PM   #35
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep - turn off firewalls on both machines...really should only matter on the target, but crazier things have happened (like you're not actually RDPing when you think you are....).

Will be interested to know what happens if you connect your old ER in place and try one to t'other. Can't imagine it's something on the network itself, but at least that would eliminate it.

What router are you using now?

Last edited by taxbuster; 04-20-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #36
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ubiquiti USG for a router.

Can't imagine it's the router it was working fine all this time. No recent firmware updates to blame it on.

Maybe I should jump on the Unifi forums to see if anyone else has run into the same with this hardware.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:25 PM   #37
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Ubiquiti USG for a router.

Can't imagine it's the router it was working fine all this time. No recent firmware updates to blame it on.

Maybe I should jump on the Unifi forums to see if anyone else has run into the same with this hardware.
I'm on those all the time (both at UI and r/ubiquiti) and can't recall seeing anything on that, but it's worth a gander. I'll take a peek next time I'm there as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post: