Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #1641
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, of all the PS3 and PS4 controllers I've had not one have I had to replace because the battery failed. It's all been analog stick related and sticky buttons.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 02:31 PM   #1642
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
TD and thanked by 84...the two biggest Xbox homers on CP
Oh the irony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
It's all been analog stick related.
That's because everyone uses the same sh-tty analog stick designs.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #1643
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
TD and thanked by 84...the two biggest Xbox homers on CP

I have owned every system ever just about even the obscure stuff

Nintendo and Sony first party controllers with built in batteries have never failed on me. I think other parts of the controller like the sticks would wear out first.

Its certainly not a deal breaker but it is a plus for Sony and Nintendo when it comes to controllers. First thing I did with my series X was buy battery packs
Which is what I assume 95% of Xbox owners do. I have the plug and play kit for my regular controller and the Elite Series 2 has a built-in rechargeable battery pack.

The nice thing with this is when the battery pack eventually loses life, I can replace the pack for ~$30. Once battery life begins to shorten on the PS controllers you live with it until you have to shell out the money to buy a new controller.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #1644
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I make no secret that I work for Microsoft, although I'm in the M365 Core engineering org. which is a different org from Xbox.

It turns out Surface is one of the worst offenders for exactly what I'm talking about. They made some big strides with Surface Laptop 3 (battery is still glued in, annoyingly), but up to that point the entire Surface line were regarded as worse than MBPs for repairability, which is no small feat. I've fixed countless laptops and even a couple MacBooks (one polycarbonate and one aluminum MBP) by swapping in replacement batteries and selling them on, allowing them to be of value to someone instead of ending up in a landfill. This is a topic that I genuinely regard as important.

Man, they should really invent rechargeable batteries one day.
All the Surface Laptop 1s and 2s I bought for the company are giant paperweights and because of that we are never going Microsoft for computers again.

Some are bricked, some have bloated batteries, alcantara is all stained with people's palms so they can't be re-issued to new users. The whole thing is glued together and completely unservicable.

The newer Surface Laptops have magnets on the keyboard for you to open them up but we learned our lesson with Microsoft.
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #1645
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Which is what I assume 95% of Xbox owners do. I have the plug and play kit for my regular controller and the Elite Series 2 has a built-in rechargeable battery pack.

The nice thing with this is when the battery pack eventually loses life, I can replace the pack for ~$30. Once battery life begins to shorten on the PS controllers you live with it until you have to shell out the money to buy a new controller.
My PS4 that survived are 4-5 years old at this point and have zero issues with the batteries. Sticks or buttons will break long before charging issues become a problem
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #1646
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Oh the irony.
That's because everyone uses the same sh-tty analog stick designs.

I have brought this up in the past. All major console companies use the same actuators which are the main part of the control sticks that fail.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #1647
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
My PS4 that survived are 4-5 years old at this point and have zero issues with the batteries. Sticks or buttons will break long before charging issues become a problem
And I, who tend to play a lot of games....have had PS4 controllers where I could only play if they were actually plugged in due to the battery being unable to charge sufficiently.

Many people have different experiences with the same technology, some get lucky others do not. My luck has generally been with XBox.

Last edited by Since1984; 11-26-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #1648
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I have rechargeable battery packs for my Xbox stuff too, and I tend to have really good longevity with my controllers, it is usually the battery packs that die on me (except for the one time I had a white Xbox One controller start melting itself while charging the battery pack). I reserve the loose NiMH batteries for remotes, flashlights, and all the other battery-operated IoT stuff in the house that require them, but nice to have in a pinch if the controller pack is low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
All the Surface Laptop 1s and 2s I bought for the company are giant paperweights and because of that we are never going Microsoft for computers again.

Some are bricked, some have bloated batteries, alcantara is all stained with people's palms so they can't be re-issued to new users. The whole thing is glued together and completely unservicable.

The newer Surface Laptops have magnets on the keyboard for you to open them up but we learned our lesson with Microsoft.
Yeah, I know it all too well. Last firm I was at, one of the Internal Systems guys had a stack of like 10 Surface Pro 4s at his desk, all of them with battery swelling. Problem is if you keep them plugged in constantly, that's what happens. It happened with Surface Pro 4 and my HP notebook they issued to me as well, the palm-rest wouldn't sit properly and it turned out the battery was swelling and pushing it apart from the rest of the case. I have my work-issued SB2 and a Lenovo SAW over here, and I intentionally let them sit around off of A/C power at least once every couple days for that exact reason, lest I have to replace them in a year.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:58 PM   #1649
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plenty of heads up from EB games.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1465046846875840520

https://twitter.com/user/status/1465047888686366733

Last edited by chemgear; 11-28-2021 at 09:08 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:08 AM   #1650
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Thanks for the heads up Chemgear!! currently I am in the waiting room of death lol Been here so far since 7:55 when it booted me to this page. Here's hoping I get a chance at an Xbox.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:13 AM   #1651
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

No luck all the xbox series x packages sold out before I got in... oh well!
Old 11-29-2021, 08:57 AM   #1652
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
No luck all the xbox series x packages sold out before I got in... oh well!
Shoot. Are you aiming for just the base Series X or would you be okay with a bundle? Can try to keep an eye out and see if I have any luck over here.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #1653
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

SWOLED back on amazon - pick amazon as the seller:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B098RKWHHZ?
Old 11-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #1654
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is the SWOLED a ton better than a normal switch which was only $400 a year ago?
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #1655
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you play in handheld most of the time, I think it is a game changer. But if you are docked then it is mostly no difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #1656
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Shoot. Are you aiming for just the base Series X or would you be okay with a bundle? Can try to keep an eye out and see if I have any luck over here.
I appreciate this. It is for a friends son as the family has had a really tough year. I am hunting for them so bundle or base is good with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay's Beagle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 04:40 PM   #1657
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Switch OLED is available at Shoppers. If you add ~ 75$ in other items and you have 250,000 points it's a wild deal.

https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/Sho...e=045496883409

Redeem $250 worth of points for $400. AND get back $45 in more points for later. Doesn't have to be the switch though, basically anything that adds up to that much at Shoppers.

I picked up $550 worth of items for basically $100 (or less if I save the points for bonus redemption again).
Old 11-29-2021, 11:01 PM   #1658
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Switch OLED is available at Shoppers. If you add ~ 75$ in other items and you have 250,000 points it's a wild deal.

https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/Sho...e=045496883409

Redeem $250 worth of points for $400. AND get back $45 in more points for later. Doesn't have to be the switch though, basically anything that adds up to that much at Shoppers.

I picked up $550 worth of items for basically $100 (or less if I save the points for bonus redemption again).
sold out again
Old 11-29-2021, 11:08 PM   #1659
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

EDIT: Totally mistaken.

Last edited by chemgear; 11-29-2021 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:12 PM   #1660
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, and I think the bonus redemption is also over tonight so hope everybody who had points lined up the discount!
bonus redemption ends on the 1st