Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #1001
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man, trying to help my sister get an Xbox Series X for my nephew for Xmas had it in cart and checked out but M/C had to text her a code to verify the purchase and she was in the shower so didn't get back to me in time. Sooooooooo close. Oh, well keep trying

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #1002
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah this is "fun". Trying to get a PS5 as a gift for my son for Christmas. At this point I think he is gonna be getting a controller and a note saying we will look for one when there is availability.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #1003
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even more xbox:

https://www.xbox.com/en-ca/configure...srwovc6w1xjl00
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #1004
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Yeah this is "fun". Trying to get a PS5 as a gift for my son for Christmas. At this point I think he is gonna be getting a controller and a note saying we will look for one when there is availability.
Yeah, the PS5 will be tough... Remember to try tomorrow at 9am on walmart's website.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #1005
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
seems like the Xbox is taking longer and longer to sell out. Good that the supply is catching up a bit. I do wonder how many people purchased an Xbox One X thinking they were getting the latest console......
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #1006
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
seems like the Xbox is taking longer and longer to sell out. Good that the supply is catching up a bit. I do wonder how many people purchased an Xbox One X thinking they were getting the latest console......
Yeah their naming convention is stupid.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #1007
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Yeah their naming convention is stupid.
It really is. XBOX 360 was a decent enough name but it added difficulty in regards to naming it's successor. Would have been better had they just gone XB1, XB2, XB3, etc.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #1008
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to be clear, in case a Playstation 5 digital edition accidentally gets purchased on Thursday morning...the only real difference between the console and disc edition is the fact that the console edition doesn't use physical discs? No difference in performance or storage or anything else?
Old 12-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #1009
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Just to be clear, in case a Playstation 5 digital edition accidentally gets purchased on Thursday morning...the only real difference between the console and disc edition is the fact that the console edition doesn't use physical discs? No difference in performance or storage or anything else?
Correct. Unlike the Xbox X/S or whatever, there is no performance difference, just a lack of disc drive.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #1010
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old 12-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #1011
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It really is. XBOX 360 was a decent enough name but it added difficulty in regards to naming it's successor. Would have been better had they just gone XB1, XB2, XB3, etc.
The whole reason they named it the 360 instead of Xbox 2 is because it was the same gen as PS3, and having the smaller number than Sony just wouldn't do
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #1012
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I told the wife I can't always controls what happens.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #1013
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I told the wife I can't always controls what happens.
At least you aren't telling her it's an air purifier.
https://mothership.sg/2020/11/ps5-ai...er-taiwan-man/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #1014
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

/itsavagina
Old 12-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #1015
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1333965584652849152
Old 12-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #1016
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The whole reason they named it the 360 instead of Xbox 2 is because it was the same gen as PS3, and having the smaller number than Sony just wouldn't do
I can see that line of thinking and like I said before 360 was okay but after that it's just become confusing. Maybe would have been better to just go by year of release like Xbox 2005, Xbox 2013, Xbox 2020 although they then may have feared the names would make the consoles appear dated years after release. Should have stuck with XB1, XB2, etc but someone at Microsoft was thinking too much.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-02-2020 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #1017
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can see that line of thinking and like I said before 360 was okay but after that it's just become confusing. Maybe would have been better to just go by year of release like Xbox 2005, Xbox 2013, Xbox 2020 although they then may have feared the names would make the consoles appear dated years after release. Should have stuck with XB1, XB2, etc but someone at Microsoft was thinking too much.
It's a non issue made into an issue by people that do not pay attention to detail.

Nintendo's unconventional naming techniques were never problem even when you had a Wii and Wii U.

Don't be dumb and pay attention to what you are buying.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #1018
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
It's a non issue made into an issue by people that do not pay attention to detail.

Nintendo's unconventional naming techniques were never problem even when you had a Wii and Wii U.

Really Wii and Wii U wasn't great either. I think NES, , SNES, N64, NGC, and Wii is totally fine as they are all differentiated. It's not a major issue but anytime the general population is somewhat confused to branding it's a sign the the marketing people didn't do a great job IMO.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #1019
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Microsoft should have taken a page from Nvidia and just used larger numbers to differentiate between generations. Call the Xbox One the Xbox 1080, it's a nice link to the 360 name. Then the Series X could have been the 2080 and Series S the 2070. Much cleaner, and their numbers are way bigger than Sony's so no issues there either
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #1020
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

Not exactly true:

https://www.polygon.com/2014/8/5/597...tendo-bad-name

Naming matters. Yeah, it's great that hardcore gamers didn't have a problem. Unfortunately, that's not where most of the console sales go. Same problem Microsoft dug themselves into. It's just a bad marketing decision as it causes confusion that at best makes Microsoft look nonsensical, and at worst passes on that confusion to the consumer, which has clearly happened.

The Xbox naming conventions are the absolute dumbest thing about those consoles and a complete self-own. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, really, if that's the worst thing about your product. It's just an unforced error that causes nothing but problems. It's putting a false sense of creativity over logic and what's best for the customer. I doubt it impacts their bottom line too much, but it really shouldn't impact their bottom line at all.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote