Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Korn summer 2000. It was an epic show at the height of their popularity. I still get goosebumps watching crappy bootlegs on YouTube. It was the loudest show I’ve ever been to, bar none. Both for band loudness and crowd noise. I’ve never heard or seen anything like it since. When they closed with blind the pit looked like that famous clip of Woodstock where they played, just smaller.

I’ll never forget after the show, I was 15, these two older bikers turned around and told us it was the best goddamn show they’d ever seen, which included all the 80/90s greats like Metallica.

Roger Waters about 10 years ago at the dome. Played DSOTM in full and then played some Animals complete wi flying pig. I was in heaven.

Eric Clapton about a decade ago was phenomenal.

I’ve seen NIN in Vegas at the Hard Rock 3 times. What a venue. I love it there.

Grace Too at the first Hip farewell concert was great. Second loudest crowd I’ve ever heard and Gord’s primal screams were amazing. And I don’t much care for the Hip.

Any of the 3 Tool shows I’ve seen at the dome.

SOAD twice in six months around 05? 08 maybe? Right after hypnotize/memorized came out. Again at the height of their popularity. Dome was so full of energy.

Oh and that time the lead singer from Goldfinger jumped in the crowd, got punched in the nuts by an ahole fan, singer retaliated, so did fans, security got mad saying he shouldn’t have gone on crowd, goldfinger told security to #### off and played rest of show, albeit brief, with no security. Fans were pretty chill. That was odd.

I’d have to check my stubs to find some other gems. Those are what come to mind at the moment.
Korn puts on a phenomenal show. I wish they would come back up here.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Jubilee: Vampire Weekend, Elvis Costello, Morrisey, Stevie Ray Vaughan

Jack Singer: Los Lobos, John Hiatt, Johnny Clegg

Burns Stadium: Buddy Guy, Los Lobos

Max Bell: George Thorogood (2x)

Corral: Rush, Arcade Fire

Last edited by troutman; 05-02-2020 at 09:00 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #23
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

1. Dr. Dre and Snoop at Coachllea 2012 - the Tupac hologram show. It was insane not knowing who was coming up or what was going on. 50 Cent, Eminem, Warren G were all insane and then the hologram was one of the most surreal experiences of my life.

2. The Hip at the Dome on their last tour, night one - as mentioned before, I thought the ground was shaking during Grace, too.

3. Kanye West Glow in the Dark tour at the Saddledome - insane show with Kanye still mostly holding it together. Also Rhianna, NERD and Lupe opening was wild.

4. Rolling Stones at the Commons in Halifax - even though it was pissing rain it was a total blast.

5. Prince at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto on the Welcome 2 Canada Tour - I saw him 4 times on his tour, and this show was by far the best. Prince was in a great mood and I think there were 3 or 4 encores.

Honorable mentions: U2 at the saddledome on the elevation tour, Tom Petty and Steve Winwood at the Saddledome, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit at the Ryman in Nashville, Stevie Wonder at Bonnaroo, Kanye and Jay-Z on the Watch the Throne tour, Chemical Brothers at Coachella
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to East Coast Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #24
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The Guess Who did a Running back through Canada tour in 2004. I remember the Dome being packed for this one. IIRC they came out with a CD for these concerts.
This was my first ever concert! Great show.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #25
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
5. Prince at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto on the Welcome 2 Canada Tour - I saw him 4 times on his tour, and this show was by far the best. Prince was in a great mood and I think there were 3 or 4 encores.
There were rumors with the Calgary show that he was going to play at a club after the concert - I wasn't too sure the rumors were true, and it was getting late, probably a weeknight. IIRC, he did end up playing at 3:00 am at a sushi place downtown for a couple of hours, and I really regret not staying out for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #26
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
1) Motorhead, Reverend Horton Heat, Nashville Pu$$y - 2009, Flames Central/The Palace.
Three bands that at face value wouldn't have much in common, but under the surface they had a common link of basic rock n' roll played LOUD. All three bands had energy to spare, and well, LEMMY!!!

I was at that show. Saw Motorhead 3 times, all small venues here in Calgary. This one was so loud, my face was moving when Lemmy hit the bass. Great show.

My list:

1. AC/DC - Who Made Who - 1986 Northlands Coliseum. My favourite band, 10th row on the floor. Saw them 7 different tours. No one has more fun on stage than this band.

2. Metallica - Poor Touring Me - 1997 - Saddledome. Front row. Ridiculously great band live. The 1989 show was great, too. The band was so close, Lars kicked a cup of water into the crowd and it landed in my lap. James singing Creeping Death looking straight at me.

3. Testament/Megadeth/Judas Priest - 1990 - Northlands. All three bands brought it. Testament before they went cookie monster. Mustaine was not yet sober, angry and terrific. Rob Halford and Priest, great showmanship.

4. Paul McCartney - 2005 - Key Arena, Seattle. I got to see a Beatle. 3 hours plus on stage. Still singing very well (last summer's show in Vancouver, his voice is showing it's age a little.) Took my inlaws, my mother-in-law was crying she was so happy.

5. Mark Knopfler - Killing to Get Crimson tour - 2008 - Jack Singer, Calgary. The master at work. His band was tight, small venue, amazing sound. All 13 + minutes of Telegraph Road - maybe my favourite live song performace ever.

Honourable mentions: Billy Idol at the The Joint - Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas. Thought it was going to be a joke. Steve Stevens was killer, Billy was into it, lots of audience interaction.

54-40/Matthew Good/ Tragically Hip - Fort Calgary - 2012. Front row, right on the barrier. Last time I saw the Hip live. It was hotter than hell and all 3 bands killed.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #27
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
When I was young it was all about arena concerts but IMO the best concerts I've been to have been in small venues. I much prefer being up close to the band than sitting in seats or way back on the floor.
agreed. I've seen bowie, Dylan, etc, but the shows that stand out for me the most were in bars and small venues, or at a folk fest.

for example I still remember vividly seeing a group called Acoustically Inclined at the Edmonton Folk Fest in 1991.

seeing SNFU at the Polish Hall in the late 80's

Seeing The Rheostatics on their Melville tour at the Powerplant on the U of A Campus, also in 1991, or maybe 1992.

There was an old downtown hotel in Edmonton Called the Ambassador, I saw Albert Collins in their rundown bar in 1992.
Also saw John Cale there, that same year.

A little known American blues/roots busker rediscovered in the early 1990's named Ted Hawkins. saw him in a pub in Sydney Australia in 1994. just an amazing performer. (troutman, check him out. I recommend "The Next Hundred years")

this is leading me down a rabbit hole. 1989 to 1993 I saw so many amazing performers. I had forgotten how many. my prime of going to live music.

edit: wanted to say I do have to give a shout out to the first show I went to with my own money. Twisted Sister opening for Iron Maiden on their World Slavery tour in late 1984.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 05-01-2020 at 11:31 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #28
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saw some great concerts but will just list the ones that still stand out to me.

April Wine - because it was my first concert, I was 16 and was the first time my buds and I did lsd . So much fun. At the Corral I think 1980ish.

AC/DC - Just a great rockin show. I think early/mid 80's at Max Bell arena.

Yes - Also in the 80's. Five or so rows from the front middle floor. Best sound at a concert, was just so crystal clear. I think at the Corral. Bass player was insane

Robert Plant - 1988 at the Saddledome. Led Zep was favorite band.

Edgar Winter - at a bar in Calgary, that's the only details I remember other than it was really good. Still remember Frankenstein.

Paul McCartney - At a park in Tel Aviv in 2008. Beautiful setting and still sounded so good.

Last edited by Zevo; 05-01-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
agreed. I've seen bowie, Dylan, etc, but the shows that stand out for me the most were in bars and small venues, or at a folk fest.

for example I still remember vividly seeing a group called Acoustically Inclined at the Edmonton Folk Fest in 1991.

seeing SNFU at the Polish Hall in the late 80's

Seeing The Rheostatics on their Melville tour at the Powerplant on the U of A Campus, also in 1991, or maybe 1992.

There was an old downtown hotel in Edmonton Called the Ambassador, I saw Albert Collins in their rundown bar in 1992.
Also saw John Cale there, that same year.

A little known American blues/roots busker rediscovered in the early 1990's named Ted Hawkins. saw him in a pub in Sydney Australia in 1994. just an amazing performer. (troutman, check him out. I recommend "The Next Hundred years")

this is leading me down a rabbit hole. 1989 to 1993 I saw so many amazing performers. I had forgotten how many. my prime of going to live music.

edit: wanted to say I do have to give a shout out to the first show I went to with my own money. Twisted Sister opening for Iron Maiden on their World Slavery tour in late 1984.

that was the show at the Dome right? I called that the revenge tour. I was dating a girl in high school and she made me go to a Platinum Blonde concert and I absolutely hated it. So I made her go to the Iron Maiden Twisted Sister Concert and she pouted through the whole thing.

It was glorious.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #30
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Metallica-Multiple times but the cunning stunts show in the 90s was pretty epic (band and stage show)
Guns N' Roses (the recent show in Edmonton, never thought I would see the day)
System of a Down
Tool
Saw Slash with Myles Kennedy at the Grey Eagle and that was pretty awesome...I mean its Slash standing right there two feet away from me in a small venue
Old 05-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #31
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I was at this show too! one of the craziest concerts I've ever been to. by the end of the night it was freaking scary how drunk everyone was, along with those pitchers flying around. Likely the closest I've come to being at a full on riot at a concert.
Have to love the logic of the organizers. The crowd is unruly and getting out of hand, and we are out of beer cups. We'll just keep washing and serving pitchers! Oh well, made for a good rock and roll memory!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #32
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Somehow I’ve never seen the offspring. I love their older stuff. It boggles my mind. I think they even did a special 20th anniversary tour for Smash. What’s up with that?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #33
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 stick out for me.
Metallica back in I think 1986 on their Master of Puppets tour, they played the Max Bell and it was general admission. Absolute madhouse and loud as hell.
1991 Clash of the Titans in Vancouver. Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer with Alice in Chains opening.
Roger Waters on his Dark Side of the Moon tour about a decade ago, amazing show.
Edit: Yeesh, make that 4, how could I forget Paul McCartney?

Lots of other great concerts, AC/DC, Billy Joel, early Motley Crue, Priest, Rush, Van Halen, every Metallica show has been amazing (saw 5 I think). Saw Dio in the Corral back in the 80's with Bon Jovi opening for him before he hit it big, he got boo'd.

Last edited by Jacks; 05-01-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #34
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Jubilee: Vampire Weekend, Elvis Costello, Morrisey, Stevie Ray Vaughan
Green with envy, I didn't truly appreciate his music until after he had died.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Green with envy, I didn't truly appreciate his music until after he had died.
He did something I never seen before or since. He placed his guitar (strings down) on the stage, and manipulated it around to play notes quite effectively.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #36
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So many to choose from, but love this idea

Coachella:
- Snoop/Dre/Tupac/Wiz Khalifa/50 Cent/Eninem/Kendrick Lamar main stage
- Naked and Famous - main stage sundown set
- Future Islands outdoor stage sundown set
- The XX - outdoor stage
- The Stone Roses - Main
- Justice - Main Stage
- Jamiroquai - Saraha Tent
- Migos - Saharra Tent
- Wu Tang Clan - Outdoor stage
- Disclosure - Outdoor stage
- Rudimental - can't remember where
- Action Bronson 2015
- Run the Jewels 2015
- Beyonce - only for the show, can't stand her music
- Major Lazor before they made it big, played in a small tent to a very small crowd. Discovered them by walking by and popped in. Love when that happens.

Life is Beautiful 2015
- Kendrick, Kygo, Run the Jewels,

Electric Daisy Carnival 2010 (in LA @ USC Stadium, before it moved to LV)
- Deadmau5, Swedish House Mafia, Kaskade

Dome
Metallica, Stevie Wonder, Kings of Leon (were ok I guess)

Mac Hall
Modest Mouse

Last edited by username; 05-01-2020 at 02:53 PM.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to username For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #37
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
He did something I never seen before or since. He placed his guitar (strings down) on the stage, and manipulated it around to play notes quite effectively.

I remember seeing Kip Winger doing something similar to that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #38
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I really regret missing that Stevie Wonder show.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #39
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of my favorites off the top of my head:

The Hip- Vancouver, 2016. Hands down the most emotional concert experience of my life. 2+ hours of pure joy, love, and excitement. The entire crowd was on their feet and going crazy right from the moment they walked on stage, and nobody sat down until well after the last note rang out. As mentioned by others in this thread, "Grace, Too" shook the building. Check out the eruption at around the 3:16 mark of this video. Total goosebumps. And the video doesn't really do it justice. The noise in there was absolutely deafening.

More:

U2- Montreal, 2001- Elevation tour. Incredible energy from both the band and the crowd. Bono is a hell of a front man, and the setlist was a perfect mix of old classics and All That You Can't Leave Behind material. It was also my first time seeing them which made it extra special, as I'd been a big fan since the early 80s.

Midnight Oil- 1993, Another Roadside Attraction festival. Holy crap, these guys were phenomenal. One of the most powerful live bands I've ever seen. Their reunion tour in 2017 was also excellent. It was like they'd never left.

Radiohead- Mac Hall Ballroom, 1996. Brilliant show. I'm so glad I was able to catch them right before they broke huge.

Sasquatch Festival at the Gorge, 2006. The lineup was outstanding: Nine Inch Nails, Ben Harper, Death Cab for Cutie, The Tragically Hip, Queens of the Stone Age, Beck, Neko Case, Gomez, Constantines, Sam Roberts, Arctic Monkeys...among many others. Such a great weekend.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #40
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Some of my favorites off the top of my head:

Midnight Oil- 1993, Another Roadside Attraction festival. Holy crap, these guys were phenomenal. One of the most powerful live bands I've ever seen. Their reunion tour in 2017 was also excellent. It was like they'd never left.

thought about adding this one also
looooob is online now   Reply With Quote