Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #201
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Glad to see you're open to other locations Cap, especially if you're interested in tech. Some companies could really use senior leadership and experience to handle their scalability and growth. Vancouver would be a great move if everything lines up.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but you should apply for some tech roles in Edmonton if they come up too. There's a pretty hearty community here that really supports each other.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #202
ryeguy252
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just got laid off yesterday from a midsized oil and gas producer. Anyone have experience with employment lawyers for service package reviews. Any success on negotiating a higher severence? Whats normal these days for a severence? Is it more or less due to COVID.

Any help is appreciated.
ryeguy252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #203
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Glad to see you're open to other locations Cap, especially if you're interested in tech. Some companies could really use senior leadership and experience to handle their scalability and growth. Vancouver would be a great move if everything lines up.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but you should apply for some tech roles in Edmonton if they come up too. There's a pretty hearty community here that really supports each other.
When I went through a period of unemployment (10 months) I got a lot of people suggesting Edmonton. At the time when I had nothing, I thought it was loser talk. I remember sitting down, closing my eyes, and imagining the life I would lead if I gave up and moved to Edmonton. It was depressing. Instead I got a job at a bar to pass the time. For five months I pulled pints and it was a lot of fun. Eventually the economy improved and I was able to switch industries.

Moral of the story...I would have none of the things or relationships that make me happy now if I'd taken a gig in the chuck.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #204
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm still currently underemployed but at least working. I got a bite from a headhunter who hires maintenance planners (the career I've been trying to get into for a year now) and this is now the third time I've been submitted and declined. It really is depressing to get all the job details and asked if I accept them on my end, only to not get the position.

This last time after I was told the hiring manager "didn't see exactly what they were looking for" I politely thanked them for the response and sent an updated personalized cover letter for the position.

I'm not sure if it was the right move as I haven't gotten any feedback but I figure I had nothing to lose.

Hopefully something breaks for us CC!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #205
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Well, to each their own. When I moved from Calgary I found it to be a pleasant surprise, hockey team notwithstanding.

I wouldn't let the city get in the way of a good opportunity though.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #206
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Well, to each their own. When I moved from Calgary I found it to be a pleasant surprise, hockey team notwithstanding.

I wouldn't let the city get in the way of a good opportunity though.
Agree. I moved from Calgary 10yrs ago.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #207
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy252 View Post
Just got laid off yesterday from a midsized oil and gas producer. Anyone have experience with employment lawyers for service package reviews. Any success on negotiating a higher severence? Whats normal these days for a severence? Is it more or less due to COVID.

Any help is appreciated.
What you heard was normal a year ago is probably high now. A lawyer is likely to see most of anything you might get. If you are around 3 weeks a year it’s not worth your time. 2 weeks a year might be worth your time to try.

Remember it will be months and months to battle it out and if you get a job in the meantime it changes everything.

Probably less then 5% chance of a demand letter working these days.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #208
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
When I went through a period of unemployment (10 months) I got a lot of people suggesting Edmonton. At the time when I had nothing, I thought it was loser talk. I remember sitting down, closing my eyes, and imagining the life I would lead if I gave up and moved to Edmonton. It was depressing. Instead I got a job at a bar to pass the time. For five months I pulled pints and it was a lot of fun. Eventually the economy improved and I was able to switch industries.

Moral of the story...I would have none of the things or relationships that make me happy now if I'd taken a gig in the chuck.
This is bad advice.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 09:40 PM   #209
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh, I feel your pain Captain. I left oil and gas in January this year after my company sold. Was planning to take a few months off...that is looking more like a year now. I've spent the last 5 years building my skill set in Cleantech/Renewables and working on softer skills (entrepreneurship, innovation, etc.).

Made boatloads of calls, emails, etc. and there is nothing right now. I agree that almost everyone Ive chatted with is saying the temporary layoffs are most definitely permanent.

I'd also make sure you push the incubator angle. I'm helping out 2 and while the hours and pay are peanuts it has been very good mentally to stay engaged. I'm hoping that one or 2 may see value in partnering up and landing a job that way.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #210
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think I talked about it, but late last week I applied to a technology company in a role that was a really good fit to what I've done, They sent back a questionaire to ask me some questions about my experience, which I sent back. then yesterday they sent me a scenario test that I worked on and sent back to them.

(Its amazing the hoops that you have to jump through now).

Anyways I heard back from them this morning that they want to interview me, which is a great piece of news, and makes me a bit happy.

Unfortunately in a way its a role in Vancouver.

I don't mind the idea of packing up and moving. I have some real concerns about it. I have my parents to think about, in terms of my mom we're seeing more and more issues with her after her brain injury a few years ago, and my dad is doing a great job of taking care of her. But I worry about that. Yeah yeah I get it, Vancouver's not that far away.

But at the same time, I'm really pessimistic about anything good happening in Alberta for a long time, and I know I had to start stretching my search out.

I talked to my dad about it this morning, just to be fair, and while he encouraged me to follow though on this, I could tell that he was down. I mean I go for coffee with them a couple of times a week, and the only other family member is my older sister, who's very self looking.

Ugh, I do want this job though.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #211
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got laid off in March, for reasons unrelated to Covid. I worked at a coal mine that is shutting down, the plant is converting from burning coal, to natural gas due to the carbon tax.

I've applied to 50 some jobs and the only time I've heard back is when the company says thanks for your interest, but no. Starting to get a little disappointed with the job search so I'm thinking about going back to school in the fall. Everything I would want to take though is hands on so who knows if that will even be offered next year

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #212
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Stick with it, I've been feeling pretty down on it, changed my resume and covering letter up.

I'm through to a second interview on two and another one came out of the blue today that I had an impromptu interview with today, and it looks like I'm getting a second.

Its disheartening, and I get pretty resentful when I don't hear back, because I personally think its a little rude, no matter how busy you are you can figure out a way to send an auto email.

I've applied for about nearly 200 jobs, and haven't heard back on more then half. But I have to believe that if you keep grinding and working at it, and make changes to what your doing as you go, good things will happen.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #213
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post

tldr: e=ng
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #214
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Friend of ours landed a job a couple weeks back here in Calgary after being unemployed 7mo, and sending out 250 resumes. Didn't know anyone there. Made the absolute best of the interview by doing his homework and thinking through some strategic/business considerations and development ideas so was able to knock both interviews outa the park. He's not an engineer, but rather a contracts/marketing person in O&G.

Former corworker of mine had an interview last week too.

So yeah there is stuff out there. Just gotta find it. mostly networking and also going directly to company websites and not hoping postings magically appear on Indeed and LinkedIn.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 05:32 AM   #215
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its disheartening, and I get pretty resentful when I don't hear back, because I personally think its a little rude, no matter how busy you are you can figure out a way to send an auto email.

I'm the opposite. The last time I was out of work, I got really depressed by the "Thanks but are not proceeding with your application" type emails.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:51 AM   #216
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just a bump because sometimes I use you guys (and appreciate it) to have conversations.

I think I mentioned yesterday was a good day. Since I changed my resume I've gotten better reaction. I got through to the second phase on the Vancouver job. I had another Calgary based company (recruiting and Software) that I applied for on Monday reach out for an impromptu interview, and have been put through for a second interview. And we're working on next steps for another role.

The Tech Incubator reached out to me and asked me what I want compensation wise to get me excited about coming on board. I told him I'm going to take a day or two to put something together for him. But we're into offer stage.

Part of me feels like a long stormy night is moving into sunrise, am I weird or overly romantic for thinking that. But its been personally a hell for the last three months, with me even starting to believe that I was undesirable. That the work force had passed me buy.

Thanks for letting me indulge.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #217
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
I'm the opposite. The last time I was out of work, I got really depressed by the "Thanks but are not proceeding with your application" type emails.

I appreciate that, but I'm the type that likes to know even if its a gut punch.

Just a word of advice. For a lot of companies they won't tell you, and won't alert you but they give you access to their ATS as part of their resume collection process, and you can usually see your status in there.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #218
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Thanks for letting me indulge.
CP is a great outlet for that. Glad it provides a platform to share your thoughts, many of us appreciate hearing from you.

It also warms my heart that the tech industry seems to be providing you the opportunities for your next career move. I think more people looking for their next position should explore this industry and area of work as it's really going to be a strong player in employment and economy in this province for decades to come. Best get on board if you can!

Good luck on finalizing your next role!
Old 06-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #219
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I received an offer letter yesterday, keep your head up everyone.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #220
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Congrats Worth, that's great news.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: