Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Andrew Mangiapane's upside

I've been a fan of this player since his junior years, and I'm not surprised he was a solid NHLer last year from the Ryan line. But I am wondering where he should ideally be slotted in the lineup.

As a prospect, he's been a huge producer every year, including being the top 21YO-or-under producer in the AHL in 2017-18. There's no reason we should be capping him off as a bottom six forward given his history of production. His production in the NHL last year was also very impressive - he had our fifth-highest primary point rate trailing only Gaudreau/Monahan/Tkachuk/Backlund without playing with any of those four.

Toolswise, he's not the tallest guy but he's strong enough to win board battles with taller guys, and he's a pretty strong skater.

Skillwise, I think he's got the second best shot on our entire roster, only behind Monahan. Utilized properly I believe he could be a 25+ goal scorer. In fact as a prospect I was regularly getting Cammalleri flashbacks from his shooting repertoire.

He's also IMO a strong two-way player. He had some of our better underlying numbers in the NHL, and at lower levels was also a strong penalty killer which is not a role Peters has experimented with.

He's a natural LW, but I see no reason he couldn't be tried on his off wing to take full advantage of his excellent one time blast.

Compared to Dube or Bennett I think Eatbread is better suited to playing a top six wing role because he's a very natural winger, the other two play more of a balanced game and as Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Backlund as well as Lindholm are all inherently assist guys, not necessarily snipers, eatbread's shooting skill is a unique asset.

Can Mangiapane play in our top six and make it better? I see no reason he cannot, and I think it is a waste to have him on the fourth line, although depth still has its value.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A poor man’s Gelinas maybe? I see some Cammalleri in him too.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I think he may surprise allot of people...he and Dube under Peters amongst others.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has shown some real inventiveness in getting into shooting lanes, with and without the puck.

For some reason, the Calgary fanbase is very much against 'gifting' players, but I would like to see players put in the best situations for them to succeed.

Mangiapane has a knack for getting open for a shot, and Bennett can make room for playmakers. It would be great to pair either with Gaudreau or Tkachuk and see what they can create.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he can switch to RW then there is plenty of room for him to play in the top 6.

He’s got the talent to play top 6 as soon as this year but he’d have to be eased into it. He has succeeded at every level and I see no reason why he can’t continue to get an expanded role and succeed in the NHL.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love his last name.

Let em eat bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really do like his upside. Guy is a very solid skater and shows great effort. Has a wicked shot also.

Do be honest I think his max potential is solid second line winger but will likely fall into third line tweener.

With second PP minutes and solid play could maybe flirt with some 35 point seasons.

Good player but I still think both Bennett and Dube have higher overall impact potential.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys like Mangiapane and Dube breaking out is what could take this team to truly elite.

Hopefully it happens.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Mangiapane/Dube reminds me of Johnsson/Kapanen for the Leafs.

That could add a killer new dimension to this team.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think eventually Mangiapane's gonna be a strong bottom 6 player and he will be great on the penalty kill if given the chance. I'd put him there right away if we trade Frolik. Really good fundamentals and work ethic
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #11
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

i'm also a big fan. he's got such a good motor, slick hands, holds on to the puck more often than not, and knows where to distribute to keep plays alive. one of our sole bright spots in the playoffs.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #12
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd call him 3rd line winger material at best today. He's never going to supplant the like of Tkachuk or Gaudreau or Lindholm. Does he even pan out better than Dube? Those two are close IMO.

But for LHS's in an ocean of LHS on this roster, I would use one to find a similar RHS RW that could be a top six RW today for the Flames.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #13
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he'll round out to be a middle 6 LW. Can pot 40 points, 50 maybe as his peak. He has a good amount of potential to be an impact player so I wouldn't be surprised if he proves me wrong.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 10:59 PM   #14
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If he stops falling over he could have an impact, good motor and hockey sense as well as a good shot, but man he needs to work on balance and core strength.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #15
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
If he stops falling over he could have an impact, good motor and hockey sense as well as a good shot, but man he needs to work on balance and core strength.
This is the Mangiapane thread

But it could also apply to the Bennett thread

Or the Brodie thread

Or the Kylington thread

Let’s make it a Jankowski thread while we’re at it
Old 07-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #16
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
That's a rookie for you.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:43 PM   #17
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In the latter half of his season, he was probably going at a 30-35 point clip.

I'd say he's a 30 point NHLer this season if he doesn't take some kind of step back.

If he carves out a career in the league, yeah 50 points sounds about right. Maybe finds himself on a regular 2nd line role at some point.

There's a lot of tools in his box. Damn exciting to have on your fourth line.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:09 AM   #18
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

What strikes me about Mangiapane is his vastly improved play throughout the season all over the ice. Defensively, his game has seen significant growth. I was surprised when Peters started keeping him in the lineup as I didn't think that he was strong enough defensively for a bottom 6 role. What really impressed me was his play down the stretch and into the playoffs where he suddenly found the confidence to start holding onto pucks longer and have more patience with his shot. He definitely started showing a lot more creativity, and this leads me to believe that he could very well pan out as a top 6 option.

I think it will be a revolving door of wingers and line combinations again this year - maybe especially so given that I think Frolik will eventually get traded to free up cap space this off-season, and Neal being dealt. You have Czarnik, Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett and maybe even Jankowski (assuming Lindholm is a center) as wingers moving around the lineup around established pairs.

Who are the established pairs?

Gaudreau - Monahan
Tkachuk - Lindholm

If Lindholm stays as the top-line RW, I would actually like to see a 2nd line of Tkachuk - Bennett - Mangiapane for a stretch and finally close the book on the whole "Is Bennett a centre or a winger", as I feel that Bennett under Gulutzan was not properly utilized or developed. Maybe a stretch of 30 games or so.

Either way, I do think that Mangiapane should be in that conversation to get a long look as a top 6 winger, but perhaps ease him in as a third line winger on either side and see how he responds.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 06:31 AM   #19
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love Mangiapane. He has solid 5 v 5 scoring rates, excellent possession metrics, and prolific production at every level. The eye test reveals quickness, skill, patience to make plays under pressure, and a general fearlessness.

Where should he be used? I think this could be tried:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Backlund - Tkachuk
Lucic - Ryan - Bennett
Dube - Jankowski - Czarnik
- Quine -
*assuming Frolik traded
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #20
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's already better than I expected him to be - happy to be wrong about him. I would like to see him solidify himself as a solid, 2-way middle-6 guy this year. A nice, consistent 35 points or so, would be awesome.

With Neal gone, there is an opening in the lineup. If Mangiapane and/or Dube can step up, the Flames are in great shape.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: