Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #3721
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
It's made the news now, and he's officially trying to back track...

https://calgary.citynews.ca/2021/11/...nts-resurface/
I don’t think it’s fair to use these older tweets as an argument for him to resign. These tweets were well known and available for the past few elections. That the electorate doesn’t care about Chu’s comments is the electorate’s problem and not Chu’s.

Ward 4 was voting for Chu based on his track record before the publication ban was lifted. For people to be complaining about his public 2011 tweets is kind of ridiculous. This isn’t new. It’s why this thread exists. They want causally racist, casually homophobic Chu. Apparently the line in ward 4 is alleged sex offender and even then a good portion of the ward doesn’t care
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #3722
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think it's senseless to conflate the new information coming to light as a result of the publication ban being lifted with his social media posts that have been available since day one.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #3723
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t think it’s fair to use these older tweets as an argument for him to resign. These tweets were well known and available for the past few elections. That the electorate doesn’t care about Chu’s comments is the electorate’s problem and not Chu’s.

Ward 4 was voting for Chu based on his track record before the publication ban was lifted. For people to be complaining about his public 2011 tweets is kind of ridiculous. This isn’t new. It’s why this thread exists. They want causally racist, casually homophobic Chu. Apparently the line in ward 4 is alleged sex offender and even then a good portion of the ward doesn’t care
He says what he posted is not who he is now but he ran for councillor and lost in Ward 4 in 2010 and, at the same time, Calgary elected a Muslim mayor. Pretty terrible stuff from a generally terrible person.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #3724
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Hold the phone! Just perusing his old tweets... didn't Sean Chu say he NEVER drank?

https://twitter.com/user/status/417403548989530112
This hunt is getting pretty pathetic.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:12 PM   #3725
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah guys, this witch hunt of a pedophile rapist is getting pretty tiresome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:48 PM   #3726
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Yeah guys, this witch hunt of a pedophile rapist is getting pretty tiresome.
Fill your boots with old 2011 random tweets about nothing to crack the case. If anything it makes you more pathetic in your search for truth.

Stick to shiba inu Encyclopedia Brown.

Last edited by Yoho; 11-06-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:07 AM   #3727
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Fill your boots with old 2011 random tweets about nothing to crack the case. If anything it makes you more pathetic in your search for truth.

Stick to shiba inu Encyclopedia Brown.
I think it's fair game if someone is outed as a pedo to go back and dig a bit deeper at his ugliness and lies.

It's a bit deeper than the guy just being a useless boob.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #3728
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s fair game, but what is it accomplishing? He lied about consuming alcohol and made a Facebook post suggesting using pigs to ward off Islamic terrorists — is anyone going to seriously suggest that those are worse than the ‘sexual interference while acting as a peace officer’ stuff? If the guy won’t step down over that, the other two things won’t even register.

It’s like a guy gets away with shooting a convenience store clerk, and now we’re all really fixated on that time he stole a bag of chips. Who gives a sh-t about that, why do we care? He already sucked in a major way, whose opinion is this changing? And if it is changing one’s opinion, their priorities are seriously in need of reevaluation if the child-touching didn’t do it. This all seems like a masturbatory exercise at this point.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #3729
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It’s fair game, but what is it accomplishing? He lied about consuming alcohol and made a Facebook post suggesting using pigs to ward off Islamic terrorists — is anyone going to seriously suggest that those are worse than the ‘sexual interference while acting as a peace officer’ stuff? If the guy won’t step down over that, the other two things won’t even register.

It’s like a guy gets away with shooting a convenience store clerk, and now we’re all really fixated on that time he stole a bag of chips. Who gives a sh-t about that, why do we care? He already sucked in a major way, whose opinion is this changing? And if it is changing one’s opinion, their priorities are seriously in need of reevaluation if the child-touching didn’t do it. This all seems like a masturbatory exercise at this point.
I honestly think it's most likely people are just taking the opportunity to pile on someone they don't like.

I can hope that the constant shaming helps push him to quit.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #3730
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted the drink thing because it reinforces his pattern of lying. No one should take his versions as truth, and we should absolutely trust the victim, not let his words have us second guess what may have happened. Because he's a liar.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #3731
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a politician. Lying is part of the job to some degree, it just depends on what about. Chu lying about alcohol is about as groundbreaking as a teenager lying about pot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I honestly think it's most likely people are just taking the opportunity to pile on someone they don't like.

I can hope that the constant shaming helps push him to quit.
It is. Unfortunately, I think Chu has the same playbook other political grifters use; once people start piling on for little, relatively meaningless transgressions, use it as a way to frame yourself as a victim, a 'woke cancel culture hit-job'. And by always insisting everything smells like sh-t regardless of importance or severity, people will eventually go nose-blind to all of it.

Unless something more damning comes out, I think we're stuck with Chu until next municipal election. I'd love to be wrong on that.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 11-08-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:42 PM   #3732
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
To confirm, there are currently no plans to install lights at any of the intersections, let alone all 3. This was referenced in Erick's original post but it might be worth noting again:

https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...storation.html
The lights are going in and should be done by late October.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...collision-rate
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:21 PM   #3733
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

One side benefit would be another access point to Nose Hill Park for pedestrians
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:22 PM   #3734
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

In a move that surprises absolutely no one...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:00 PM   #3735
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still surprised how low-key this council has been keeping.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:53 PM   #3736
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
One side benefit would be another access point to Nose Hill Park for pedestrians
Actually it won't. The area north of Charleswood is apparently ecologically sensitive so pedestrian crossing signals won't be installed....

It should be worth clarifying here that only Charleswood will have a light. The other two intersections will merely ban left turns onto JLB at peak hours. I expect compliance with this one to be on par with the 70 km/h speed limit zones on JLB....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 07:55 AM   #3737
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ha ha ha. Liars. They had it planned all along. That's going to slow down the daily commute for thousands of Calgarians for a problem they cooked up themselves. Maybe it's me but I'm just not seeing any of these accidents they are claiming. It's pretty rare that it's ever backed up outside of poor weather conditions. Part of the reason it's a great stretch of road is because the traffic flows constantly as it's a long stretch of straight road with no intersections requiring drivers to stop. I expect fender bender accidents will actually increase due to the addition of these lights.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-18-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:01 AM   #3738
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh?

The data indicates a lot of accidents and injuries.

I also drive that area all the time, school, city rec facilities, crucial east-west corridor, etc. And have many accidents, lame closures because of accidents, near misses, etc.

This has been badly needed for a long time in my opinion. Yes it will add a few minutes likely to a commute, etc but for safety reasons...
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:06 AM   #3739
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Huh?

The data indicates a lot of accidents and injuries.

I also drive that area all the time, school, city rec facilities, crucial east-west corridor, etc. And have many accidents, lame closures because of accidents, near misses, etc.

This has been badly needed for a long time in my opinion. Yes it will add a few minutes likely to a commute, etc but for safety reasons...
Have you seen the data? Is it disclosed anywhere? If the data backs it up then fine but I have seen a lot of collisions over the years but haven't seen many collisions on this stretch of road at all. If it was as bad as they say I wouldn't it be backed up a lot more?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:08 AM   #3740
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They also put up those wire barriers, and they are already damaged in several places. I do wonder why they didn't just put one up the middle...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat