Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #1001
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
How have I never heard of this - Star Wars Detours from 2012?

An entire episode was leaked in Nov 2020, although I can't find it online. People seemed to love it
~2 seasons have been produced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Detours
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #1002
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Watching this now before it gets removed, thank you!

edit: It was alright... need to get some Vadar and Seth's emperor clips!

The shot at Indiana jones with the Lucas connection was funny.

Last edited by Mull; 03-24-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:16 AM   #1003
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I only really discovered the fun that is reddit about half a year ago, and so I apologize if this link has been shared, but the internet is amazing.

An entire community of people dedicate to supporting the idea that in Star Wars the empire were the good guys

https://www.reddit.com/r/EmpireDidNothingWrong/
Spoiler!

Side note- is there a way on this forum to resize images from links so they don't overwhelm the reader?
Old 03-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #1004
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've always said that.

In the movies its easy to say the Rebels were the heros that's how propaganda works.

But Palpatine merely wanted to bring peace, justice and stability to a galaxy that's too large to be ruled by "Democracy". We saw how corrupt the Republic was in other source material. The Rebels were terrorists, Bail Organa was a major part of an unlawful Rebellion and Alderaan harbored criminals.

A sledge hammer solution? Absolutely.

We saw in the Mandalorian what happened when the Rebels took over, nothing, slavery still existed, poverty in the outer ring, no peace and security and Crime Lords rose.

The Rebels regularly employed criminals, and psychotic arms ripping off thugs to achieve their means while enacting acts of terror.

Palpatine was the answer.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #1005
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've always said that.

In the movies its easy to say the Rebels were the heros that's how propaganda works.

But Palpatine merely wanted to bring peace, justice and stability to a galaxy that's too large to be ruled by "Democracy". We saw how corrupt the Republic was in other source material. The Rebels were terrorists, Bail Organa was a major part of an unlawful Rebellion and Alderaan harbored criminals.

We saw in the Mandalorian what happened when the Rebels took over, nothing, slavery still existed, poverty in the outer ring, no peace and security and Crime Lords rose.

The Rebels regularly employed criminals, and psychotic arms ripping off thugs to achieve their means while enacting acts of terror.

JohnnyB is that you?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 09:25 AM   #1006
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I've always said that.

Besides being supreme ruler, did Palps have any end game plans beyond that, like higher ideals?

Was he like the Nazi's where he would want to commit genocide on a group?

Or was his goal just to be in charge of an empire and manage taxes and such?

Last edited by Mull; 03-25-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #1007
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The old EU was kinda stupid on that. He wanted to basically suck out the brains of all the non force users to gain control over life and death.

In the new EU, not really, beyond power and control. Remember Palpatine always talked in some semblance of truth, especially with Anakin. He indicated that the Sith and the Jedi had the same ultimate goals. Power, but also that the Sith felt that the galaxy needed a strong singular leader that could stop corruption and bring peace justice and order to the Galaxy, They needed ultimate power to do it.

In the book the Rise of Darth Vader, Palpatine mused that the Jedi misunderstood almost all aspects of the dark side, they focused on the whole fear anger and hatred, and that the Sith were rage monster murderers. But in fact that Sith needed to learn about how to control and when to unleash fear anger and hatred, they also had to learn to get by the petty precepts of morality in pursuit of a higher goal which was to save the myriad of non force users from themselves by putting them under the rule of one enlighten leader who's main goal was stability of the galaxy and ultimate power for himself.

Palpatine at the end of that book had stated that he had bought peace and order to the Galaxy, and now it was his to decide what to do with it.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #1008
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The old EU was kinda stupid on that. He wanted to basically suck out the brains of all the non force users to gain control over life and death.

In the new EU, not really, beyond power and control. Remember Palpatine always talked in some semblance of truth, especially with Anakin. He indicated that the Sith and the Jedi had the same ultimate goals. Power, but also that the Sith felt that the galaxy needed a strong singular leader that could stop corruption and bring peace justice and order to the Galaxy, They needed ultimate power to do it.

In the book the Rise of Darth Vader, Palpatine mused that the Jedi misunderstood almost all aspects of the dark side, they focused on the whole fear anger and hatred, and that the Sith were rage monster murderers. But in fact that Sith needed to learn about how to control and when to unleash fear anger and hatred, they also had to learn to get by the petty precepts of morality in pursuit of a higher goal which was to save the myriad of non force users from themselves by putting them under the rule of one enlighten leader who's main goal was stability of the galaxy and ultimate power for himself.

Palpatine at the end of that book had stated that he had bought peace and order to the Galaxy, and now it was his to decide what to do with it.
So its cannon to say he felt he leading would lead to the betterment of peoples lives?

Palps investing in hospitals and schools?
Old 03-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #1009
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
So its cannon to say he felt he leading would lead to the betterment of peoples lives?

Palps investing in hospitals and schools?

One thing that was big is that people talked about the Tarkin Doctrine, that fear was the best way to keep the systems in line. But the whole speech also talked about the inequality of the outer rim worlds vs inner rim worlds. That during the republic, the inner worlds basically didn't care about the outer rim as long as money and resources came in. So the outer rim was controlled by Crime Lords and even though the Republic talked about abolishing slavery, it was huge in the outer rim. The Empire attempted to address this by forming sectors under a military government to get rid of corruption, and also things like piracy and crime. Then when the Empire collapsed the Outer rim went back to its pre empire days, Crime Lords took over, Slavery and piracy went through the roof.

The inner rim worlds never suffered from a lack of schools and hospitals and infrastructure though, they were rich.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #1010
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
One thing that was big is that people talked about the Tarkin Doctrine, that fear was the best way to keep the systems in line. But the whole speech also talked about the inequality of the outer rim worlds vs inner rim worlds. That during the republic, the inner worlds basically didn't care about the outer rim as long as money and resources came in. So the outer rim was controlled by Crime Lords and even though the Republic talked about abolishing slavery, it was huge in the outer rim. The Empire attempted to address this by forming sectors under a military government to get rid of corruption, and also things like piracy and crime. Then when the Empire collapsed the Outer rim went back to its pre empire days, Crime Lords took over, Slavery and piracy went through the roof.

The inner rim worlds never suffered from a lack of schools and hospitals and infrastructure though, they were rich.
So Palp fought to support the underprivilege of the Galaxy.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #1011
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
So Palp fought to support the underprivilege of the Galaxy.

Kinda, he saw things from the standpoint of Force users, non force users. Or weak and not weak.

So in a sense the weak were meant to serve the strong, that is the order of things.

What he wanted though was that all of the worlds would have an equal place in him empire and what applied to one applied to all.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:21 AM   #1012
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

More you say? Okay!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #1013
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I really love Seth Green's take on Star Wars and Palpatine.

Its funny that the Lego Star Wars series, which are extemely kid friendly, are actually really hilarious because they've followed along that line.

Palpatine is just a utterly psychotic, sarcastic, caustic jerk who lives to torture Vader
Vader is a bit of a bumbler.
Lando is just sleazy
Solo is a jerk.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #1014
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obi-Wan is a go...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1376534672843239435

Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru return from the prequels.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #1015
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I don't get how O'Shea Jackson gets roles, he is a horrible actor. Oh wait his Daddy is rich..

Rupert Friend was awesome in Homeland, that is a nice snag for sure.

Not really familiar with the rest outside the big two and Edgerton, who I assume is reprising his role as Uncle Owen.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #1016
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looking forward to this, I'm a big fan of Ewan as Obi-Wan. Its interesting that they're bringing Hayden back into the fray, I'm assuming that they're going to flash back to the Clone Wars, so we're going to get an add on to the Clone Wars lore, which is interesting because the picture of the Clone Wars and Anakin's and Obi-Wans role in it is pretty incomplete. And even the fall from Anakin's point of view which wasn't covered in Clone Wars was covered in ROTS.

I would expect that we're going to see Clones in this movie. One thing I've said I've always wanted to see is an encounter between Cody and Obi-Wan after the fall of the Republic, its a story that really needs to be told as Cody became a hardcore Storm Trooper with anti-non clone sentiments and became really embittered in his later years.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #1017
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ewan and Hayden back together again. I didn't know it, but this is what I've been waiting for forever.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #1018
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Obi-Wan is a go...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1376534672843239435

Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru return from the prequels.
It's nice to see a casting list with such a large amount of diversity.

Say what you will about "woke social justice warriorism" but we are finally getting to see POC castings far far more.

It's taken too long, but I am happy to see it!

Signed, Middle Aged White Dude.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #1019
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Shoot me if I'm wrong but Indira kind of has a Portman look to her, maybe some Padme action.

Also I wonder if the flashbacks take part after Ashoka leaves the Jedi Temple, so we won't add on to her Clone Wars lore.

I expect most of this will take part on Tatooine though with some flashbacks. They won't pay Hayden to stomp around in a Vader suit.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #1020
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Oh Indira she was great in Game of Thrones, guess I did recognize another one there.

Just to your point Cap about the Cody story line, I am very happy to see this get a Disney+ treatment, but part of me does wish this was happening in the animation studio so we could see some more deep dives into the post order 66 world with all the different Jedi and Clone Troopers.

But that's ok I won't complain, very happy this is coming down the pipe.