Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2021, 09:45 PM   #641
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On a better note, this Center Seat Documentary series has been fantastic!
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:25 PM   #642
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
I wish they would get over this stupid "be my number one BS".
The role is the First Officer or the Executive Officer.

Number One was Picard's nickname for Riker (and his dog).
No one else in Starfleet uses that antiquated naval term anymore.
I'm disappointed that not every Starfleet vessel has a Poop Deck anymore.

I would imagine that in between infrequent and intermittent Transporter duties, swabbing the Poop Deck was probably Chief O'Brien's job.

"We have to transport down to the surfa....Good Lord O'Brien...what the hell is that smell?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:37 AM   #643
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The number 1 thing always drove me bonkers, its not a title. Other ships had executive officers but not the ship under Picard, he had a number 1.

Also in the Star Trek universe there were very few enlisted personal. I think on the Enterprise in NG there were 5, and O'Brien was their king. Literally everyone was a Lt and above. You look at the Con of a major US war ship and the officers are outnumbered by the enlisted men.

On deep space 9 I remember there being 3 Chiefs. No lower enlisted ranks. I guess its part of the everyone needs a hug Federation that they throw around commissions like people throw around dollar bills at the strip club.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:41 AM   #644
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On a better note, this Center Seat Documentary series has been fantastic!

Agreed! I caught the first two episodes, and they were fantastic. Looking forward to checking out the rest.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:27 AM   #645
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any word on new Picard episodes? Or was it a one season thing. I can’t even remember lol.

But I do recall it being better than Discovery, which was awful. I quit after a few episodes.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:58 AM   #646
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Any word on new Picard episodes? Or was it a one season thing. I can’t even remember lol.

But I do recall it being better than Discovery, which was awful. I quit after a few episodes.
Season 2 will be running in February after Discovery's season is over. It has also already been renewed for season 3 in 2023.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #647
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The number 1 thing always drove me bonkers, its not a title. Other ships had executive officers but not the ship under Picard, he had a number 1.

Also in the Star Trek universe there were very few enlisted personal. I think on the Enterprise in NG there were 5, and O'Brien was their king. Literally everyone was a Lt and above. You look at the Con of a major US war ship and the officers are outnumbered by the enlisted men.

On deep space 9 I remember there being 3 Chiefs. No lower enlisted ranks. I guess its part of the everyone needs a hug Federation that they throw around commissions like people throw around dollar bills at the strip club.
Crazy, I was thinking about this last week. Even Lower Decks which is a show that is supposed to be low ranking crew aboard a star ship has it's main characters as Ensigns. Four ranks below Captain. Where are the Recruits and Petty Officers?

At least with DS9, technicians and security officers are visible in the background by having a bunch of Bajorans buzzing around.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #648
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I wish they would get over this stupid "be my number one" BS.
The role is the First Officer or the Executive Officer.

Number One was Picard's nickname for Riker (and his dog).
No one else in Starfleet uses that antiquated naval term anymore.
Quote:
Number One was Captain Pike's nickname for his XO in the very first episode of Star Trek ever produced, "The Cage". Roddenberry always upcycles his old ideas. I would say it's fine if you imagine it in the vein of a naval tradition. There are a lot of things in naval traditions that are not officially codified.

I do hate that new Trek has taken that and made it a meme.

You are going to hear Anson Mount's Captain Pike call Rebecca Romjin's character Number One a lot in Strange New Worlds. That's fine as that was the original thing for these characters in 1965.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-26-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #649
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its fine internally, but when they're out and about meeting new species or attending conferences you're not calling him your number 1.

Usually as executive officer is the official term, its exec or X.

But its nitpicking.

Going back to the ranks and lack of enlisted the life of an ensign should be horrible. Lots of toilet scrubbing and mopping and turning screws.

The Soviet military was very much like that not because of a lack of enlisted men, but because seargents who are the backbone of the military in the Soviet model are just conscripts with better training becoming insta sarges. So usually the Lt in the Soviet military did the work of the enlisted men, and the enlisted men did menial tasks like holding screwdrivers or mopping floors.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #650
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If only this was the biggest problem with Discovery...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:36 AM   #651
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I'm rewatching tng and I must say, the score as Picard is being revealed as Locutus is just super duper. The distorted TNG theme. The ominous monastery choir. I don't think I've ever paid this much attention to it and I dig it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #652
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Going back to the ranks and lack of enlisted the life of an ensign should be horrible. Lots of toilet scrubbing and mopping and turning screws.

The Soviet military was very much like that not because of a lack of enlisted men, but because seargents who are the backbone of the military in the Soviet model are just conscripts with better training becoming insta sarges. So usually the Lt in the Soviet military did the work of the enlisted men, and the enlisted men did menial tasks like holding screwdrivers or mopping floors.
I think in the utopian Trek that Roddenberry kept trying to bring back into the fold every now and then, the idea of the lower decks wage slave coal shovelers are long gone. Scarcity has been wiped out. Money no-longer exists.

People explore the universe because they have a passion for it and robots and technology (Voyager Holodoc prototypes were all turned into waste disposal units) have taken care of those menial tasks.

Yes, not everybody gets to be part of the elite bridge crew, some people are just lower level scientists like Lt. Picard from Tapestry, but they are still not enlisted potato peelers.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #653
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I'm rewatching tng and I must say, the score as Picard is being revealed as Locutus is just super duper. The distorted TNG theme. The ominous monastery choir. I don't think I've ever paid this much attention to it and I dig it.
And right after this season they fired the composer of Star Trek seasons 1-3 and replaced it with Rick Berman's idea that Star Trek music should all be the music equivalent of beige.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:36 AM   #654
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

You are going to hear Anson Mount's Captain Pike call Rebecca Romjin's character Number One a lot in Strange New Worlds. That's fine as that was the original thing for these characters in 1965.
This I don't have a problem with as Number One is basically her name.

Plus Pike isn't going to go, "Number One.....I really need you to be my number one".
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:28 AM   #655
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This I don't have a problem with as Number One is basically her name.

Plus Pike isn't going to go, "Number One.....I really need you to be my number one".
I wouldnt be so sure about that...I think you're putting a lot of unsubstantiated faith in the STD script-writers there.

I wouldnt be surprised if Pike gives them a "You're My #1 #1" Valentine's Day card.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #656
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want to take everyone involved in this show out behind the wood shed and beat them with a trout.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #657
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you didn't like the first 3 seasons of Discovery and you're watching season 4, it's your fault at this point. Is it just cathartic at this point to watch something you hate and then come to CP to complain about it?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #658
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep hoping it'll get good! Look, I'm still watching Fear the Walking Dead. Last night I did them back to back...

This episode had so much relationship schlock it actually feel just like some of the worst episodes of FTWD. The bridge fires looked like mini Flames Goal flames. Just randomly Fooshing.

Maybe next episode will be better. I'm sure of it. Honestly though, does anyone actually really like this version of ST? So much wasted potential.

Also, congrats to nameless bridge surfer dude who got specifically named, who's name I've already forgotten.

Book was by far the best part of the episode.

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-29-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #659
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and I'm not sure if it's foreshadowing of what will happen in Picard, but the mention of his consciousness being transferred into a robot brain was...interesting. I'm not sure cheating the ravages of time like that is in Picard's character, but I guess we should expect it to happen now.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #660
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh, and I'm not sure if it's foreshadowing of what will happen in Picard, but the mention of his consciousness being transferred into a robot brain was...interesting. I'm not sure cheating the ravages of time like that is in Picard's character, but I guess we should expect it to happen now.
Its been a while...but I think that ship has already left the Spacedock?

Isnt that exactly what happened at the end of Season 1? They Deus Ex Machina'd Picard?