Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #41
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
#### No Man's Sky forever. I wouldn't pick that garbage up again if it was free on PS+ tbh.
I agree. I bought it on launch, thought I just didn't understand the game, but turns out it was just really pointless and shallow.

Out of principal alone I won't ever play that again. I feel robbed.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #42
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
#### No Man's Sky forever. I wouldn't pick that garbage up again if it was free on PS+ tbh.
I get that the game is not for everyone, but I don't get how the irrational hate persists for this game.

Destiny had a much worse bait and switch than No Man's Sky and then they charged for their DLC that "fixed" their game. These guys made a royal mess, but then at least fixed it as a series of free updates (with NEXT a quasi-sequel in terms of the enhancements)

Personally, I started playing No Man's Sky after the foundation update (base building) and I have enjoyed it. To me it is such a different experience, a sandbox to set my own objectives and a lot more chill gaming session.

A warning though to anyone jumping back in - old saves = adapting to the new game world, and there are still bugs being reported (I have had one crash). They are saying they will be updating regularly, so if they keep that promise, then these bugs should be ironed out over time.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #43
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hated Destiny too honestly.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #44
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
I get that the game is not for everyone, but I don't get how the irrational hate persists for this game.

Destiny had a much worse bait and switch than No Man's Sky and then they charged for their DLC that "fixed" their game. These guys made a royal mess, but then at least fixed it as a series of free updates (with NEXT a quasi-sequel in terms of the enhancements)

Personally, I started playing No Man's Sky after the foundation update (base building) and I have enjoyed it. To me it is such a different experience, a sandbox to set my own objectives and a lot more chill gaming session.

A warning though to anyone jumping back in - old saves = adapting to the new game world, and there are still bugs being reported (I have had one crash). They are saying they will be updating regularly, so if they keep that promise, then these bugs should be ironed out over time.
I agree. I get that they made mistakes, but from my perspective they've more than made up for it with free updates.

Last edited by Russic; 07-27-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #45
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I agree. I bought it on launch, thought I just didn't understand the game, but turns out it was just really pointless and shallow.

Out of principal alone I won't ever play that again. I feel robbed.
I was the same as you, however after the latest update it finally is living up to how the game was originally pitched. Its got me playing the game again.

Its a free update so why not.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #46
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/g...s_tile_index_2

Game is free for 1 day at Humble Bundle. I haven't tried it yet, but thought I would let everyone know.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #47
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm not usually a first person gamer (I find it disorienting) but played Far Cry Primal last year which really sold me on the franchise. Picked up Far Cry 5 last week, beautiful setting, but how the heck do you guys handle driving in first person games?? Especially off roading through trees in missions where the emphasis is on time/speed.

I think the reason I didn't feel that way in Primal is it's 10,000 BC, so it's mostly walking/running, keeping the disorienting factor minimized. Do I just suck at driving in first person, or is Far Cry not known to have the best driving experience? Man is it hard to do in first person!

Last edited by Sainters7; 07-28-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:05 AM   #48
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
So I'm not usually a first person gamer (I find it disorienting) but played Far Cry Primal last year which really sold me on the franchise. Picked up Far Cry 5 last week, beautiful setting, but how the heck do you guys handle driving in first person games?? Especially off roading through trees in missions where the emphasis is on time/speed.

I think the reason I didn't feel that way in Primal is it's 10,000 BC, so it's mostly walking/running, keeping the disorienting factor minimized. Do I just suck at driving in first person, or is Far Cry not known to have the best driving experience? Man is it hard to do in first person!
I would say a bit of both. Far Cry's vehicle controls are pretty terrible
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #49
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha yeah, not sure why I even asked about the first part, that's a given at this stage. But good to know it's also known to be bad. Not sure how anyone can do this smoothly...but I love the setting at least. Maybe I'll just walk everywhere..
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:42 AM   #50
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

You'll only drive until you get a helicopter.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #51
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep the driving controls in Far Cry are crap although I have found some vehicles handle better than others and eventually I figure things out enough to pass the driving challenges. Thankfully I really enjoy walking through the environments in Far Cry 5 and the boats, planes, and helicopters provide good transportation options. When I do have to drive I normally just auto-drive to the destination while I chill out and enjoy the scenery.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 07-29-2018 at 10:39 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #52
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
I was the same as you, however after the latest update it finally is living up to how the game was originally pitched. Its got me playing the game again.

Its a free update so why not.
Im playing it for the first time and am enjoying it quite a bit. I just wish the starship controls were better or supported a HOTAS setup. Had to fire up elite dangerous just to scratch my space joystick flight itch.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:52 PM   #53
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 07-30-2018, 09:52 PM   #54
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Need some help folks...

I mainly play sports games, but find i am going thru Xbox one controllers once every few months.

Damage is typical, where the left analog stick gets messed up and the game seems to be flaking out based on which direction im trying to move. Based on some quick online research it seems this is typical of the Microsoft xbox one controller (i have the stock ones i got with the console and recent white ones purchased, same issue).

Can anyone suggest a durable xbox one controller out there???
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #55
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Need some help folks...

I mainly play sports games, but find i am going thru Xbox one controllers once every few months.

Damage is typical, where the left analog stick gets messed up and the game seems to be flaking out based on which direction im trying to move. Based on some quick online research it seems this is typical of the Microsoft xbox one controller (i have the stock ones i got with the console and recent white ones purchased, same issue).

Can anyone suggest a durable xbox one controller out there???

If you have the cash the Xbox Elite Controller is excellent quality or go with the Razr Wildcat. For a cheaper option the PowerA Fusion controllers get decent reviews.

Last edited by Since1984; 07-31-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #56
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problem with the Xbox Elite controller is that the D pad lifts up if you press too hard in one direction. It's such a huge flaw in my opinion, regardless of which D pad you actually use, that I actually can't believe it made it into production.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #57
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No Man's Sky might have been a fail at first but with the NEXT update this week it has become what it promised to be and is one of the best games I have ever played. Amazing.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:49 PM   #58
Captain Hair
Backup Goalie

Exp:

More free Battlefield goodies...

Quote:
EA began its Battlefield expansion giveaway campaign back in May and has since given away almost all the DLC that both of the most recent games in the franchise have had to offer. Today, the publisher has made free the final pieces of DLC remaining. Those are Battlefield 1's Apocalypse, as well as Battlefield 4's China Rising and Naval Strike expansions.
https://www.neowin.net/news/battlefi...-free-to-claim
Captain Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Hair For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #59
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hockey related gaming news: Eastside Hockey Manager is part of the $1 tier of the new Humble Bundle. Then Super Blood Hockey is on the beat the average ($5.64) (with Dirt Rally too)

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/s...n=tile_index_2

Eastside Hockey Manager is like the old versions of Football Manager, and you can get database updates from Steam Workshop to start in newer seasons, including last year with Vegas being added. It's like a deeper, stats heavier version of Be a GM
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Problem with the Xbox Elite controller is that the D pad lifts up if you press too hard in one direction. It's such a huge flaw in my opinion, regardless of which D pad you actually use, that I actually can't believe it made it into production.
I can't recall ever noticing this with mine but I don't play fighting games as pretty well all other games simply use the D pad for switching weapons, issuing commands, cycling through inventory, etc.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote