Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2021, 05:16 PM   #2121
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I personally know a Japanese National Sushi chef and with sushi appetite being on the decline in Calgary (O&G money drying up) we've talked about the prospect of doing a "personal chef @ your home" business. Saving on the overhead, she would visit your home and make a personalized sushi dinner for you and your guests. You can watch and speak to the chef as she prepares and serves each dish

Without going into a deeper dive into AHS guidelines if this is even possible, we've always wondered if there was such a demand for something like this
I would not doubt that there is demand/ a market for that type of experience especially for parties or events like weddings.

In late 2019 I was talking with a friend about starting a similar type of home experience but for wine and yoga. A wine tasting with a sommelier and a yoga session. But Covid rolled in and obviously shut down that idea.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 05:26 PM   #2122
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I personally know a Japanese National Sushi chef and with sushi appetite being on the decline in Calgary (O&G money drying up) we've talked about the prospect of doing a "personal chef @ your home" business. Saving on the overhead, she would visit your home and make a personalized sushi dinner for you and your guests. You can watch and speak to the chef as she prepares and serves each dish

Without going into a deeper dive into AHS guidelines if this is even possible, we've always wondered if there was such a demand for something like this
Personal chefs and catering is definitely a thing, so AHS regulations shouldn't be too much of a hurdle.

Sounds like a neat idea - good luck!
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #2123
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Did the Rouge tasting menu with wine pairing last week. Sadly I have to echo the previous comments in this thread that it isn't what it used to be. Only dishes I really enjoyed were the dessert and foie gras (but that is more of a reflection of the ingredient and not its preparation).

Also didn't really enjoy any of the wine, overly white focused and nothing overly memorable.
Suave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #2124
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ate at Charcut this past week and it was mediocre. I hadn’t been there in a while, but am in no rush to go back.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 07:29 AM   #2125
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I ate at Charcut this past week and it was mediocre. I hadn’t been there in a while, but am in no rush to go back.
Wife and I said the same thing.
Have been a handful of times over the years, just before COVID we went and thought "meh" but decided to give it one more go a few weeks back.

Definitely wont be going back, its gone down hill significantly.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #2126
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn.... Jackie's Thai in Eau Claire is closed - this is posted on their Google Feed:

Quote:
Jackie and family are moving back to Thailand. We close today (Friday, November 12th).
Watch for a new Thai restaurant in the new year!
On the bright side there's a new Vietnamese street food place with $9 Bahn Mi subs where the Jugo Juice used to be. Will report back when I get a chance to try it.....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #2127
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Damn.... Jackie's Thai in Eau Claire is closed - this is posted on their Google Feed:

On the bright side there's a new Vietnamese street food place with $9 Bahn Mi subs where the Jugo Juice used to be. Will report back when I get a chance to try it.....
Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Jackie's Thai place was a staple for many of the Elections staff...

Ate at Xich Lo (that new vietnamese street food place) half a dozen times. They're one of the few places that I've heard of that makes their own Hoisin sauce. Great food! I've never had fresher tasting Salad rolls, so make sure you try it
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #2128
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Out of curiosity does anyone have any insights as to why Freshii at the Mark on 10th closed and/or how long it was there for?
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #2129
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Out of curiosity does anyone have any insights as to why Freshii at the Mark on 10th closed and/or how long it was there for?
They literally posted up a 8 by 11 on their door apologizing to customers that they had to close citing rising food costs and other expenses. Closed within the last couple of months

Just been to another Freshii and their menu has changed, unfortunately for the worse. Fresh vegetables have gotten way more pricier and i feel for them for being a healthy alternative in saturated fast food market
Old 11-30-2021, 12:15 AM   #2130
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Major Tom on the weekend.

Cocktails and ambiance were good. Wife enjoyed the duck. My filet was really average. Will probably go back for drinks and the ambiance but might skip the food.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #2131
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have recommendations for a locally owned restaurant or steak house around downtown that's not outrageously priced? I'm going on a double date to Zoo Lights on a couple weeks and we're all stumped on a restaurant to go to after that isn't a chain. We're looking for great cocktails and a menu that has a decent selection. What are your favourites?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #2132
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for a locally owned restaurant or steak house around downtown that's not outrageously priced? I'm going on a double date to Zoo Lights on a couple weeks and we're all stumped on a restaurant to go to after that isn't a chain. We're looking for great cocktails and a menu that has a decent selection. What are your favourites?
Open Range up on Edmonton Trial and 12thish ave. Share the scalloped potatoes, the elk steak is really good too.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #2133
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
The Guild in the Bay made a decent steak pre-Covid. Not sure what prices are like now.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:50 PM   #2134
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
The Guild in the Bay made a decent steak pre-Covid. Not sure what prices are like now.
It was never cheap. Good food though.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:51 PM   #2135
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Guild is horrific. Last place for a steak horrible for couples night. Avoid.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:56 PM   #2136
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonmaster View Post
The Guild is horrific. Last place for a steak horrible for couples night. Avoid.
Agreed a place to be seen to show you have no taste or care for food, but like to pay to be "seen"
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:37 PM   #2137
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonmaster View Post
To each their own. One of the cooks the wife and I came to know from Brassiere Kensington was cooking at the Guild and we always enjoyed our meals. Maybe he saved us the good stuff.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:11 AM   #2138
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can’t say I’ve had a bad meal at the guild. But I haven’t gotten steak there.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #2139
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

Quote:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Jackie's Thai place was a staple for many of the Elections staff...

Ate at Xich Lo (that new vietnamese street food place) half a dozen times. They're one of the few places that I've heard of that makes their own Hoisin sauce. Great food! I've never had fresher tasting Salad rolls, so make sure you try it
Just picked up a sub from this place and it was fantastic.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #2140
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Calgary badly needs an Earl of Sandwich franchise

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business