Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Linkin Park new album "The Hunting Party"

So there's a new LP album coming out on June 17th that many of you may or may not know about. What is interesting about it is that LP are this time claiming to have moved towards a heavy, 90s influenced rock sound, more in the direction of their earlier albums - which are widely considered their best works and were very influential for their time - in an effort to distinguish themselves once again. From what's been released of their album so far, this does indeed appear to be their intention (although said with cautious optimism). Still, this is exciting for the fans of old. I myself do not dislike their newer releases, but the groundbreaking style and energy they captured in their earlier albums were second to none to fans alike, so this is great news.

The album will also feature guest performances from Daron Malakian of System of a Down, Tom Morello of RATM/Audioslave, Page Hamilton of Helmet, and Rakim. Check out the releases so far:

note: while some may see this as an invitation to troll LP for their later albums, that's not the purpose here. this is merely for those interested to discuss their first self proclaimed rock album since MTM.

"Wastelands" UFC preview

"Guilty All the Same"

"Until It's Gone"
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I never really considered them influential, there were an insane amount of bands doing that exact same type of stuff in the late 90s. The difference is the first Linkin Park album had some decent songwriting and really catchy hooks, kind of a guilty pleasure.

Don't think I've heard a single song past their debut, maybe something that was in a Transformers movie. Anyways, they're a silly rap/rock band and not to be taken seriously.

Last edited by Engine09; 05-28-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Serious suck, but you've got to give credit to a band that puts out a heavy rate of material despite being out of the public consciousness for quite some time.

There's a catchy driving tune to be had every couple albums.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liked the last two releases, but not feeling any of the songs they have released off the new album so far. Sounds very generic and dated to me.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two things:

1) It's usually a bad sign when a band says something to the effect of "it's gonna be heavier or like our older stuff or blah blah blah." When a band says that the album usually disappoints.

2). Linkin Park is a lot of things, but groundbreaking doesn't really sound like one of them. Tom Morello? Now there's someone groundbreaking.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You're entitled to your opinions but Hybrid Theory when it came out was absolutely groundbreaking for the time. Even if others were attempting to do the same thing in the 90s as the above poster suggested, they obviously weren't doing it at the same level or quality to garner the attention and success LP received almost immediately. Also being that it is the 7th highest selling album of the 21st century, I think it speaks for itself.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Groundbreaking how? They combined rap-rock and nu metal, two styles at that time that were totally overdone. Don't go with album sales either or Nickelback is the best rock band of the last decade. You can like Linkin Park for sure, you can call them a good band (even if I don't), but to suggest they are groundbreaking is an insult to actual groundbreaking acts.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I've never been a big fan because of so much filler on their albums, I do believe to some degree they were groundbreaking in the mainstream. While there were quite a few acts in the 90's doing rap/rock, I can't think of one that used a live DJ as part of their band, and if they did, the others didn't have catchy hooks or the same production value. After awhile many of their songs sounded the same though, which is why I didn't care much after their first album. More recently they've had a song or two on each album which I liked, but just too much filler.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always lumped this crap with the likes of Limp Bizkit and Evanescence.

Pass.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Limp Bizkit had a DJ, Incubus had a DJ, Kid Rock had a DJ, Sugar Ray had a DJ Slipknot had a guy who did all the samples and stuff, etc...I think Linkin Park can best be described as executing that brand of music very well, but the brand itself wasn't particularly groundbreaking ever, and especially not at that time
Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can sit down and listen to Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Korn, whoever was also considered nu metal in the 90s, and none sound anything like LP. IMO at least, many of those bands were shoddy attempts at best.. their sounds were grungy, unpolished and not exactly the most enjoyable to listen to.

As Radiohead's Kid A pretty much revolutionized Alt Rock at the turn of the century, Linkin Park did similar things at a mainstream level. No attempts at Rap/Rock had the same kind of melodies, hooks or production value, while also using sampling like they did with Joe Hahn to create a modern electronic sound (for the time) over top of it all. There was a ton skepticism and negativity received at the time when recording HT, yet they persisted with their own sound and it obviously paid off, as it caught the attention of a lot of people. The combination of rap with other genres in mainstream music exploded after they stepped in, and it's obvious they had a large part in it. Today it's pretty much commonplace. Of course the quality has subsided over time, but nobody raises an eyebrow at a hip hop track with a rock chorus/anthem on a top 40s song anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Daron Malakian

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #13
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

That makes them influential though, not groundbreaking. And even then, they aren't that influential. Run DMC did "Walk This Way" in 1986, much more influential and groundbreaking in the melding of rock and rap. Adding in the electronic elements isn't groundbreaking because other metal bands had electronic elements too (see industrial and prog metal), and really it was scratching and sampling for the most part, an element already strongly present in rap rock. What makes Tom Morello groundbreaking is he achieved those sounds with just his guitar and effects.

It seems to me you find Linkin Park groundbreaking because they melded a bunch of different styles of music together to make a clean, concise style you like, but one that within the context of the genre is hardly groundbreaking at all. Linkin Park is just less harsh and abrasive than Korn and Slipknot, but the fundamental elements are the same.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #14
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seen them live 7 times. Looking forward to this one but I can't ever think of them as groundbreaking. They play catchy fun tunes that I can bob my head to. I'm easy to please so good enough for me.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:22 AM   #15
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am a huge Linkin Park fan. I find some of the comments in this thread surprising, but then again, tastes vary.

I didn't like Guilty All the Same when I first heard it, but it's growing on me for sure. I am one of the people who have enjoyed the direction Linkin Park has grown in and was a little worried about them returning to more of their roots. A Thousand Suns is one of my favourite albums of all time, so we'll see. Hybrid Theory was also a fantastic album too.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #16
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Linkin Park new album "The Hunting Party"

I get being a fan of the music, that's all good, people like what they like.

But I can safely say this is the first time in my entire life, having worked at a music store for the past decade, that I've ever heard anyone try to argue Linkin Park as "groundbreaking" on any level. Wowza.

They are so indistinguishably close to both Korn and Limp Bizkit that the whole thing is a bit silly to me.

Like what you like, but they're not a significant band.

Last edited by strombad; 05-29-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #17
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used to be a huge fan of Linkin Park. Hybrid Theory and Meteora got a ton of playtime on the old discman. But I haven't listened to anything they've made since Minutes to Midnight, which I absolutely hated. I don't know what it is exactly but I don't really enjoy their music anymore. Every once in a while I'll throw HT or Meteora on and usually end up switching to something else shorty after.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #18
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Also being that it is the 7th highest selling album of the 21st century, I think it speaks for itself.
Creed comes in at #9, so I'd be careful trotting that out.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #19
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Creed comes in at #9, so I'd be careful trotting that out.

Plus NSYNC is #2.

#groundbreaking
Old 05-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #20
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Like what you like, but they're not a significant band.
Completely disagree. See? Some people think so while others don't. I do believe they are groundbreaking and have had a huge influence on the industry and music in general. They are a significant band IMO.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post: