Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #21
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can someone explain to me better why I would be better off to go to koodoo and buy the nexus 4 vs buying it with a 2 year tab from WIND. If I decide against WIND sometime within that 2 year time frame my understanding is that I just pay the rest of my phone off as if I purchased it outright in the first place.
I would be using WINDS service.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #22
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Can someone explain to me better why I would be better off to go to koodoo and buy the nexus 4 vs buying it with a 2 year tab from WIND. If I decide against WIND sometime within that 2 year time frame my understanding is that I just pay the rest of my phone off as if I purchased it outright in the first place.
Yeah, that would work too. Considering the Nexus 4's price tag I would just pay up front but I've long been an advocate of owning my own device.

Work out the math though, Wind's prices on buying phones outright is just bizarrely high at times.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #23
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
As far as I can tell, while Wind's service says that they would clear the remaining balance after 24 months, it's still only at a rate of 10% of your bill. Everybody else is taking off an equal portion of your remaining tab per month so that you end up with owing $0 at the end instead of Wind just clearing the balance because you held on for the full 24 months. Not to mention, Wind is charging $450 for the device versus Koodo's $300. So if you grab the Nexus 4 from Wind on the $30 plan, you're paying $150 upfront, and get only $3 taken off every month.

So let's assume you leave Wind after a year:
12 months x $3 per month (10% of your $30 plan) = $36 off your remaining $300 tab.

Owing $244 and have already paid $150 making it a $394 purchase.
It just makes too much sense to take the phone from Koodo even if you're paying more upfront initially or just going with Koodo in the first place if you can't pay more than the $150 upfront.

Last edited by Anduril; 08-20-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #24
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Went and got my new phone set up with the $30/month plan at Wind.

However it sounds like I'll have to wait until Oct 5th to port the number because Rogers charges a minimum of $100 to cancel a contract. So I have 2 phones going for a 1.5 months now.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #25
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Aha, just phone and spoke to Rogers and got a really pleasant representative (for once). She checked and found out I can call and cancel my contract on September 5th in order to pay $0.

So I guess I'll call Wind Sept 5th and port my number since their website says not to cancel first.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitedSoul View Post
All right, so the deal is my contract with Rogers ends this month, and I want to move to either Wind or Mobilicity.

I spend very little time outside of the city, and live in Huntington Hills.

I've been with Wind for 2 full years now and am as happy today as I was the first day. For a "City and area" phone, they're a wonderful option. Piggybacking on Rogers gives all kinds of roaming flexibility as well so coverage isn't ever an actual issue.

I also used the phone a bunch on a recent trip to Halifax (and area). Turned data on when I needed it, made plenty of calls, and in the end spent around $10 on out of coverage charges. Seriously....$10 bucks is a lot percentage wise (my plan is $40) but peanuts when I'm saving $30-$50 a month.

I would highly recommend buying a Nexus 4 from Google Store ($309 for 8BG) and throwing a contract free Wind SIM in it. Don't over think it, just do it and be happy. It's a zero risk game.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #27
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
Piggybacking on Rogers gives all kinds of roaming flexibility as well so coverage isn't ever an actual issue.
Can you explain this in more detail? I had to drive out to Airdrie today and lost reception until I was a few minutes into Calgary again.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #28
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Can you explain this in more detail? I had to drive out to Airdrie today and lost reception until I was a few minutes into Calgary again.
I've had decent coverage in Airdrie a couple times... anyways... he's talking about the Wind Home and Wind Away zones. For coverage that isn't in their range Wind piggybacks onto Rogers and your phone should change from Wind to Wind Away. That's why I'm not concerned about Wind's coverage, it's basically roaming.

There is an extra cost to call/txt etc but even when I've been away for weekends or entire weeks my costs still stay below the 100+ I would be paying my deal with Telus, Bell or Rogers.

I do turn off my data though as that can be pricey.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can you buy the Google Nexus 4 phone at Bestbuy as a Koodo straight out purchase or have to go to a Koodo Mobile place? Thanks