Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Best Option for Internet Service Only

So I was on a 3 year Telus optik package, which expires pretty soon. I was paying about 75 bucks a month for TV and internet together. And I am basically over paying for cable. Having VOD is nice occasionally but I could just do with the cost savings and Gamecentre gets me my hockey.

But this leaves me with a fundamental issue: while there are now alternative wireless providers, internet service is pretty much Bell, Telus or Rogers. So if I want to go "internet only", what is the best way to go about it? What provider is best, and what service is best? Assume I'm a pretty average user who downloads things but isn't pulling TB's of data down monthly, though my usage will probably increase given that netflix / Itunes will become my main source of entertainment content.

Given that I'm sure a bunch of people are on the "get rid of cable" train lately, this thread may benefit others too... give me your two cents!
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
So I was on a 3 year Telus optik package, which expires pretty soon. I was paying about 75 bucks a month for TV and internet together. And I am basically over paying for cable. Having VOD is nice occasionally but I could just do with the cost savings and Gamecentre gets me my hockey.

But this leaves me with a fundamental issue: while there are now alternative wireless providers, internet service is pretty much Bell, Telus or Rogers. So if I want to go "internet only", what is the best way to go about it? What provider is best, and what service is best? Assume I'm a pretty average user who downloads things but isn't pulling TB's of data down monthly, though my usage will probably increase given that netflix / Itunes will become my main source of entertainment content.

Given that I'm sure a bunch of people are on the "get rid of cable" train lately, this thread may benefit others too... give me your two cents!
The two that I know of are Nucleus and Teksavy. Teksavy was about $47 for 25mbit and unlimited bandwidth. Nucleus was like $58 and 500GB for the same I think.

I have only used Nulceus and that was many years ago.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Doesn't look like that Teksavy one provides service around here.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Teksavvy works in parts of Calgary I believe, but you also have to pay for a phone line to use their internet service. The cost of that made them more expensive than Telus/Shaw.

When I was looking at this a couple months ago, Telus had the cheapest internet at $52/mo for 15 Mbps, and $62 for 25 Mbps. Shaw was $55 for 20 Mbps, and $60 for 25 Mbps.

I believe there's an installation fee for Shaw, and adding TV channels was quite a bit more expensive than Telus.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah I just went on their website and put in my postal code and it gave me a "no services for your area" message, so that sucks.

I don't want TV channels so I don't care about that. I'm pretty sure my current Telus service is 15mbps, it's "Optik High Speed v1", whatever that means. Basically I just want to pay 40something dollars for more or less the same service or ~50 bucks for something better.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=122828

I've been extremely happy with my 50GB/10GB (which typically ends up being more around 52GB/18GB) from Telus.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

70 bucks a month? Meh... that's roughly what I pay now and I get TV.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Teksavvy works in parts of Calgary I believe, but you also have to pay for a phone line to use their internet service. The cost of that made them more expensive than Telus/Shaw.

When I was looking at this a couple months ago, Telus had the cheapest internet at $52/mo for 15 Mbps, and $62 for 25 Mbps. Shaw was $55 for 20 Mbps, and $60 for 25 Mbps.

I believe there's an installation fee for Shaw, and adding TV channels was quite a bit more expensive than Telus.
No installation fee from Shaw, unless you need an outlet wired, which isn't an issue if you are just getting internet.

On the original question, for $75, the only way you are going to get noticeable savings (sub $50 range) is by having a really crappy internet plan. This might not be the best idea, since bandwidth issues would make constantly streaming problematic, especially since both Shaw and Telus have moved towards enforcement on monthly bandwidth caps.

Going internet only, I would get an unlimited package from Teksavvy. It might not save you are much as you are hoping though, as the only real benefit is the unlimited bandwidth, not so much on cost savings.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I see this thread is a few days old... I use Distributel. I found ADSL too slow, but liked teksavvey. So far Distributel has had consistent as advertised speeds and been dependable. Once in a blue moon I have had to unplug everything (including the cable from the modem) and start it all back up in order to reset things... seems to happen when I use a VPN tunnel and peer block for extended periods of time.

See my signature for other options...
Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just want to bump this thread....

I'm moving to 'Internet Only' for the house and Nucleus has 25MB cable service for $47/mth (not a promo price).

Anyone use them recently?

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote