Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #61
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The normal package I get for TV is the Basic HD/whatever package has Discovery and Space and I pay like $3 a month extra to get Oasis HD. I lost a few I liked but we didn't miss it much, and I get all the hockey and football I need.
The last time I was going through this rigamarole, the customer service dude told me to write down all the channels I watched and he'd see what the cheapest way of getting it was. Didn't make any difference, there was always one channel in a couple of grouped add-ons that kept adding up to $$$$. Super cool of him to go that extra mile, but unfortunately no savings were to be had.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #62
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I've been with Shaw for a decade now and this is the second year in a row they've offered me a 6 month promo for cheap TV channels if I am willing to hook up a home phone for free. This year they also gave me a free HD Box. I'd say they're doing enough to keep me happy.
Careful, the phone starts cheap, and gets expensive..it started at $20 a month, I looked at my latest bill and it's $35. No wonder they want everyone to sign up.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #63
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Careful, the phone starts cheap, and gets expensive..it started at $20 a month, I looked at my latest bill and it's $35. No wonder they want everyone to sign up.
Yeah, I return the home phone the day before the normal pricing kicks in. Paid absolutely nothing for it last time. I've never even plugged a phone in to it since I have no corded phones to try on it!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #64
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My mom got a promo call from Shaw giving them extra HD box and more channels with phone box for like $5 more. Is this a typical deal? Seems too good to be true.

I've never been called by telus for anything. The picture quality sucks, and my internet is slow as balls. No one ever sign up for 3 year contract no matter what deal you get. Asked for a tech multiple times and basically got a f u. Was told the wiring was bad in my area... Well I'll give you back the tv and let me cancel.

I never had issues with Shaw and all their employees seem pretty decent. Telus seems complete opposite.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #65
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I switched to Telus about 6 months ago. The actual service has been great, but their customer service and business practices are downright dishonest. 3 times now they have raised my bill without any warning, when I call they claim a "misunderstanding" and it took talking to multiple people to get it corrected. The last time I took detailed notes, and may or may not have "archived" the conversation. FU Telus and your BS shady tactics.

I never had any issues like that with Shaw, but was on a grandfathered account and got sick of paying too much for very poor channel selection. Both companies totally suck.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #66
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How I see it, if you're in a good area for telus it's good because telus tends to be a bit cheaper. But generally shaw is a lot faster and will get better speeds with their dnu upgrade. You pay a little more for Shaw but I think it's worth it. I'm really considering paying out my contract with telus.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #67
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else's Shaw do this?

For me....it's only channels 223 and 209. Especially during Flames games and many times, it just say "signal lost"
I thought before that it was my 6 year old TV.
Just bought a new LG, and it's still doing the same. (bottom pic)

No other channels though. I have a 6 month old Gateway.
The same channels, on regular def (channels 27 and 6) work fine.

This has been happening on and off for a few weeks months now and is starting to get old.

The pics are huge...
Spoiler!
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #68
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

My former LG LCD TV did something like that about the same age, too. Corners went fuzzy/staticky and then the TV turned off for a few minutes then back on.

But, if you have isolated it to the Gateway, it is probably that.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #69
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
My mom got a promo call from Shaw giving them extra HD box and more channels with phone box for like $5 more. Is this a typical deal? Seems too good to be true.
That's the one I got. It's for 6 months.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #70
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Does anyone else's Shaw do this?

For me....it's only channels 223 and 209. Especially during Flames games and many times, it just say "signal lost"
I thought before that it was my 6 year old TV.
Just bought a new LG, and it's still doing the same. (bottom pic)

No other channels though. I have a 6 month old Gateway.
The same channels, on regular def (channels 27 and 6) work fine.

This has been happening on and off for a few weeks months now and is starting to get old.

The pics are huge...
Spoiler!
I'm going to pull the typical IT response. Have you tried a restart of the gateway and/or portals?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #71
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not sure what's worse: Telus or Shaw. Possibly telus due to their contracts. I've heard horror stories of brutal customer service once someone signs a big contract. We'd probably cut the cable off before we signed a big contract
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #72
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

*edit

Actually, with further troubleshooting (and because it's been such an ongoing problem)

Has anyone noticed their BB100 connection getting absolutely crushed - every night, without fail between roughly 7PM-12AMish.

My test speeds plummet from the standard (75-100Mbps) to 5-8Mbps. With this sort of consistency, is it just congestion? Or are they limiting things?

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-21-2014 at 08:48 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #73
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
*edit

Actually, with further troubleshooting (and because it's been such an ongoing problem)

Has anyone noticed their BB100 connection getting absolutely crushed - every night, without fail between roughly 7PM-12AMish.

My test speeds plummet from the standard (75-100Mbps) to 5-8Mbps. With this sort of consistency, is it just congestion? Or are they limiting things?
With Shaw too but I'm not in Calgary but in a semi rural area and my speeds drop from around 3pm to 12 AM also. Mine goes from 25Mbps to around 2Mbps which means watching hockey or utube is almost impossible. I've been complaining for 2 years and all they say is they are upgrading. I managed to get the introductory price (1/2 price) for the next six months to keep me quiet, which softens the blow but it's frustrating.

I think it's kids come home and start downloading and gaming but Shaw says there doesn't appear to be any extra load on my line.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #74
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else with no inwebz? I'm in rocky ridge and have zero net and cable has beenoff and on for the past 90 minutes.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #75
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was just about to come and post about no Shaw internet as well. I'm in Sage Hill and my internet has been down for over an hour now.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #76
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Mine was off this morning around 10:00AM. Maybe they're doing upgrades through different areas of the city or something.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #77
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm back online now.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #78
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
With Shaw too but I'm not in Calgary but in a semi rural area and my speeds drop from around 3pm to 12 AM also. Mine goes from 25Mbps to around 2Mbps which means watching hockey or utube is almost impossible. I've been complaining for 2 years and all they say is they are upgrading. I managed to get the introductory price (1/2 price) for the next six months to keep me quiet, which softens the blow but it's frustrating.

I think it's kids come home and start downloading and gaming but Shaw says there doesn't appear to be any extra load on my line.
I'm pretty central, and they told me there's an issue with load in my area during peak times which they should have resolved in the next two to three weeks.

They credited me for a month of internet...we'll see if it resolves in a few weeks.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #79
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I have been a shaw customer for years now and had all my services with them. I got rid of my home phone a year ago as I never used it. I called last week to cancel my TV and the earliest they can get someone out to disconnect it is this weekend. Seems funny that if I add or remove channels it is 30 seconds but I need someone in person to disconnect it but whatever.
The part that really gets me is that I was renting a cable box for the last 5 years. It was always taken off my account so really I was not paying for it. I have not used it about 2 years as I have PVRs on all my TVs so I stored it away. Now they want it back and I can't find it anywhere. I called and told them this and now they are going to charge me $80 for it. I get that it is theirs and such but $80 for this crappy SD box that they will just throw away anyways gets me.
Now I am looking at cancelling my internet just for something like this.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #80
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am moving into a new place at the end of the week and I am thinking of going with Telus over Shaw. Telus seems to be less expensive for similar services and I've found Shaw internet to be very spotty over the last little while. Anyone use Telus internet for online gaming? Thoughts?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote