Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #2001
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious what their intel on the fan reception to the jerseys in general. Do they have insight that makes them believe the majority of fans are pleased with the current jerseys, and aren't interested in change to the primaries?

With all the concepts that's been posted in here, it's a very simple formula they would have to follow to make a jersey that I believe would have better reception than the current set.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #2002
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Have to agree it's always been perplexing.

I get the odd design, as they were sort of forced by Reebok in 2007 so lots of teams ending up looking kind of foolish with Edmonton and Florida leading the way.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/2007-08/2007-08.html

My gut says teams were being forced, the Flames and others listened, some original six teams pushed back, and the teams that "listened early" were stuck with some odd designs for years.

But why stick with it for 10+ years? That's what I don't get.

Last year was a step away from chaos by getting rid of the odd black piping, but they still have the vertical meets horizontal mess in the arm pits, stupid flags and super ugly pants.

Just bring back the retro sets ... that would make half your fans happy. And then design a third jersey that has some black in it for the next generation.

But how can they not know this? What stunted committee has to exist to not get this fixed for 11 years?

Hell even if they were money grubbing capitalists you'd think they'd see the gains in getting people to buy a new concept in a hockey market.
Design around clothing has always been a weak point of the Flames. Their hats look way dated, same with hoodies.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #2003
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Like so?

I'm admittedly a perfectionist and nit pick details but these are complete perfection. Old colour scheme which is by far the best the organization has ever employed with enough new subtleties (and no OVER crowding) to work as a modern/"new" design.

The people in charge of jerseys need to get off their asses and adopt these immediately.

Don't know why we have to continue to watch and shell out money to get the shoddy department store design we currently call authentic flames jerseys. Okay maybe not that bad, but clearly we can roll out something so much better.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-09-2018 at 12:01 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #2004
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think the road jersey has a bit too much red. Playing on the road against a team in home reds could be confusing.

But yeah, pretty close to perfection.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #2005
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Agree and also logo is a bit gigantic. I think it’d be good to do a retro new design like that but keep the font of the letters and numbers they have on the current set, seems like those fonts have been around for long enough that the Flames kinda own it and it’d be a good nod to their heritage.

/nerd
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #2006
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm admittedly a perfectionist and nit pick details but these are complete perfection. Old colour scheme which is by far the best the organization has ever employed with enough new subtleties (and no OVER crowding) to work as a modern/"new" design.

The people in charge of jerseys need to get off their asses and adopt these immediately.

Don't know why we have to continue to watch and shell out money to get the shoddy department store design we currently call authentic flames jerseys. Okay maybe not that bad, but clearly we can roll out something so much better.

I agree that it should not be that hard to have a updated version of the retro jersey. Unfortunately the fashion design team of the Calgary flames take there advice from the Ralph Furley collection. While I shake my head that the best they could do is bring back the retro jersey for the the 10th time, they could have done a lot worse.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #2007
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think the road jersey has a bit too much red. Playing on the road against a team in home reds could be confusing.

But yeah, pretty close to perfection.
Confusing in what way? Or do you mean distracting?
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #2008
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't think those jerseys are quite perfect. I find the Canucks numbering pretty abrasive and I think the forearms on the road jersey should be white, along with perhaps the gloves. Otherwise, damn good -- and miles better than what they have now.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #2009
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I don't think those jerseys are quite perfect. I find the Canucks numbering pretty abrasive and I think the forearms on the road jersey should be white, along with perhaps the gloves. Otherwise, damn good -- and miles better than what they have now.
Huge no to white gloves. I have an irrational hatred of white gloves.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #2010
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Usually, I'd agree, but they really worked in Vegas and I'd be curious to see how they'd look here.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #2011
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

This thread is older than the '04 jerseys were when we retired them.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #2012
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Usually, I'd agree, but they really worked in Vegas and I'd be curious to see how they'd look here.
The funny thing is that they didn't work in Vegas... The white gloves were used in their road jersey set.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #2013
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Well, our jerseys have been ugly for a long time so..
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:13 PM   #2014
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Pretty sure Ken King still isn't reading it either.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #2015
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love the white version of our retros, and think it would be so sharp updated to the adidas style jerseys with new materials. I'll keep waiting, I suppose.

I actually think it would be a huge hit to bring back either the pedestal jersey or the horse head for a retro night, one evening special.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #2016
Atlantica
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Some thinking outside the box options:

Replace flaming C in crest with:

1. Oiler logo with dripping oil and a line through it.

2. Craig Mctavish's face with a line through it (missing one front tooth)

optional: mcdavid goofy grin with line through it on the shouldders

3. Edmonton sucks in bold lettering
Atlantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #2017
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
There is nothing irrational about hatred for white gloves. They're hideous.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #2018
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

But how can they not know this? What stunted committee has to exist to not get this fixed for 11 years?

Hell even if they were money grubbing capitalists you'd think they'd see the gains in getting people to buy a new concept in a hockey market.
I think the plan has always been to have a full redesign which may be retro, when they entered a new building.
The owners, and not just one of them, wanted the flags. They just wanted the maple leaf and the Alberta flag shield, but weren't allowed.
Recall the Flames and Tampa had sock stripes for two seasons where the stripes didn't meet at the back. So Calgary was all in on being a Guinea pig for Reebok. I'd rather have had the more stripes then the Walmart practice jersey style the Oilers adopted with theeague wide change.

Plus, jersey contract also stated that they couldn't change for x number of years.

But in the end, again, the Flames are/were ways waiting for that next chapter in club history, and not before, that being a new building, to make the "big" change when it came to jerseys and uniforms.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #2019
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
I think the plan has always been to have a full redesign which may be retro, when they entered a new building.
The owners, and not just one of them, wanted the flags. They just wanted the maple leaf and the Alberta flag shield, but weren't allowed.
Recall the Flames and Tampa had sock stripes for two seasons where the stripes didn't meet at the back. So Calgary was all in on being a Guinea pig for Reebok. I'd rather have had the more stripes then the Walmart practice jersey style the Oilers adopted with theeague wide change.

Plus, jersey contract also stated that they couldn't change for x number of years.

But in the end, again, the Flames are/were ways waiting for that next chapter in club history, and not before, that being a new building, to make the "big" change when it came to jerseys and uniforms.
To be honest I feel like this is also what is holding the Flames back as a successful franchise. A lack of support coming from the community towards the team/players, because the people who own and run this team are too focused on that "next chapter" vs. investing in any culture change and community support.

Until that focus shifts the Flames will continue down the road of mediocrity.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #2020
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
There is nothing irrational about hatred for white gloves. They're hideous.
In midget hockey one of the kids on my team shows up with white gloves...
Coach sees them: “you aren’t wearing those. No one is wearing white gloves.” And made comments later about it making you a target.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post: