Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #21
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be there in December, hopefully in time to catch the Flames in TB and FLA while I'm there. I wouldn't mind doing some surfing in or around Fort Lauderdale after the Flames game--does anyone know some good breaks around there that might have a surf shop nearby?
Old 10-30-2021, 08:05 PM   #22
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead of starting a new thread I figuredit is best to revive this old thread I found. My buddy wants to go to Disney World next summer and I am thinking about joining him with my family. I know that the summer is not a good time but we'll manage to survive. With two families I was thinking about an off site rental vs hotels. Does anyone have recommendations for a rental community? I found a bunch of good rentals in Windsor Hills and I think that will be my preference. It looks like a good area, prices are pretty cheap and it is a 15 to 20 minute drive to Disney. What are some thoughts on off-site vs on-site and the different resort communities?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:34 PM   #23
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
I'm planning on taking the family to Disney World in Florida some time over the winter. Probably in February (I hear Super Bowl week is the least busy time to visit the resort). I plan on going for 10 days and hopefully staying right on the resort.

I was just curios if anyone on CP has gone recently, if so what hotel did you stay at (on the resort) and what did you think (quality, price, etc. etc.). I would prefer a hotel with a beach, as well as a pool (I'm sure most hotels on the resort would have a pool with the exception of the budget ones). As far as what to do or see, we will be there for 8 days so we should be able to see everything.
Not a lot of "beaches" since it's in the middle of the state, but every place will have a pool. There is the beach resort, as others mentioned.

Last two times we went we stayed at the Contemporary. It's a 5 minute walk from the Magic Kingdom gate, and when you're dog-tired, it's the first stop on the monorail on the way out. You can see the fireworks very well from a few key spots on the resort (ask the staff).

I will say this: 10 days is an eternity in Disney. You'll want to leave after 5, and you might stay for 7, but look for other things to do in the Orlando area after that (*cough* Universal Studios *cough*). Either way, I recommend a full rest day somewhere in the middle, otherwise you'll blow your brains out. Have fun!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #24
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Look at the date. I think he’s back already.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 08:42 PM   #25
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Look at the date. I think he’s back already.
Given the price of new threads it makes sense to always bump the 10 year old one.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #26
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, sorry, I did not expect a 10 year old necro bump. I just saw October 24th. Jesus.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #27
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Given the price of new threads it makes sense to always bump the 10 year old one.
I'm just trying to save the environment. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #28
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I stayed at Windsor Hills with the extended family and it was pretty good. Cheap, walmart across the street, decent pool, and a short drive to the parks. I had a large house with a pool which was nice too. The only part that sucked was going to the Magic Kingdom as you have to park at the transportation centre and then take a monorail to the park. It takes like 45 minutes to get into the park. Oh, and while I was last there parking jumped from $10/day to $20/day.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #29
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Yeah, I know a beach at the resort isn't on the ocean. I do know that a few of the hotels on the resort do have beaches on the lake. Just thought it would be something fun for the kids to do.
Lakes with gators.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 11:26 PM   #30
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Instead of starting a new thread I figuredit is best to revive this old thread I found. My buddy wants to go to Disney World next summer and I am thinking about joining him with my family. I know that the summer is not a good time but we'll manage to survive. With two families I was thinking about an off site rental vs hotels. Does anyone have recommendations for a rental community? I found a bunch of good rentals in Windsor Hills and I think that will be my preference. It looks like a good area, prices are pretty cheap and it is a 15 to 20 minute drive to Disney. What are some thoughts on off-site vs on-site and the different resort communities?
IMO two ways to look at it, I've done both, both worked well for the vacation I had planned.

If you are going to go to Disney, and not really much else. Stay at a Disney hotel, take there shuttle from the airport, they will deliver your bags directly your room, there are even grocery services where you can get park snacks (juice boxes, granola bars....) delivered to your Disney hotel room before you arrive to save a little cash at the park. Night on the town, take the bus to downtown Disney or the boardwalk. Dinner out, book something at one of the nicer Disney hotels. Save the money on the car rentals, get into the parks an hour early and get 3-4 rides under your belt before the lines start.

If you are going to spend 2 days at Disney, 2 days at Universal, 2 days out on the town..... VRBO in Kissimmee, and get a rental car. There's a lot of good properties there with good prices. But I'm hearing book your rental car early these days.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:30 AM   #31
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ FYI, the Disney Magical Express bus that takes you from the airport to your WDW hotel is being discontinued in January.

I believe the company that currently operates it under contract to Disney will be continuing it in some form, but it will no longer be free. I also believe you will need to collect your bags at the airport after you land rather than having them delivered directly to the resort.

That takes away a big perk of staying on Disney property.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:40 AM   #32
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recommend staying at one of the hotels near Disney Springs, just outside the park. They have Friends of Disney status, which means you get most of the benefits of staying at a Disney hotel (shuttle buses, early FastPass booking, extended access hours) without paying the eye-watering prices of Disney hotels. You’re also easy walking distance to Disney Springs itself, which has loads of dining options and is a transport hub for the parks.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:48 AM   #33
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I recommend staying at one of the hotels near Disney Springs, just outside the park. They have Friends of Disney status, which means you get most of the benefits of staying at a Disney hotel (shuttle buses, early FastPass booking, extended access hours) without paying the eye-watering prices of Disney hotels. You’re also easy walking distance to Disney Springs itself, which has loads of dining options and is a transport hub for the parks.
Fast pass has been discontinued - there is now a paid version called Genie+.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:56 AM   #34
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I stayed at Windsor Hills with the extended family and it was pretty good. Cheap, walmart across the street, decent pool, and a short drive to the parks. I had a large house with a pool which was nice too. The only part that sucked was going to the Magic Kingdom as you have to park at the transportation centre and then take a monorail to the park. It takes like 45 minutes to get into the park. Oh, and while I was last there parking jumped from $10/day to $20/day.
Thanks for the reply. When you booked how did you go about it? Directly through the owner/the Windsor Hills website, Air BnB/VRBO or somewhere else? I saw a bunch of the units on Marriott Homes and Villas and was planning on booking through there to get the benefit of Bonvoy points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If we do on site I think the Springs area will be my choice or maybe 4 Seasons but I don't think the boss will let me spend the money for 4 Seasons especially considering we won't actually be at the hotel very much.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:10 AM   #35
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. When you booked how did you go about it? Directly through the owner/the Windsor Hills website, Air BnB/VRBO or somewhere else? I saw a bunch of the units on Marriott Homes and Villas and was planning on booking through there to get the benefit of Bonvoy points.

If we do on site I think the Springs area will be my choice or maybe 4 Seasons but I don't think the boss will let me spend the money for 4 Seasons especially considering we won't actually be at the hotel very much.
If you're into Bonvoy the Swan and Dolphin are onsite hotels options that participate in Bonvoy. In the Epcot/Hollywood studios area, so also a great location.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:23 AM   #36
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
If you're into Bonvoy the Swan and Dolphin are onsite hotels options that participate in Bonvoy. In the Epcot/Hollywood studios area, so also a great location.
I've looked into those two hotels pre Covid as the company that I worked for had a special rate of $120 at Swan and $150 at Dolphin per night or something like that. Those hotels seemed pretty dumpy to me.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:57 AM   #37
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I booked direct thru the owner at windsorhills.com
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:17 PM   #38
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've looked into those two hotels pre Covid as the company that I worked for had a special rate of $120 at Swan and $150 at Dolphin per night or something like that. Those hotels seemed pretty dumpy to me.
If staying offsite I'd be willing to pay $120/night just for the on-site perks even if not staying in the room - the early entrance specifically would be worth it at least a couple of days, imo.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:36 PM   #39
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

/\
Are the Swan and Dolphin included in the early park entry program? They are on the property, but I don't think Disney operates them

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
^^^ FYI, the Disney Magical Express bus that takes you from the airport to your WDW hotel is being discontinued in January.

I believe the company that currently operates it under contract to Disney will be continuing it in some form, but it will no longer be free. I also believe you will need to collect your bags at the airport after you land rather than having them delivered directly to the resort.

That takes away a big perk of staying on Disney property.
Good to know, I definitely viewed the free every 20 minutes public transport everywhere we planned to go as the value proposition of staying at a Disney hotel, I'm sure it still exists within the campus, but without the airport included that hurts it.

Last edited by #-3; 10-31-2021 at 09:38 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:06 PM   #40
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
/\
Are the Swan and Dolphin included in the early park entry program? They are on the property, but I don't think Disney operates them
Yes. See: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en...s/early-entry/