Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2021, 04:12 PM   #521
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with moving the Coyotes there is that they finally got a balanced schedule of 16 teams in each conference. If the Yotes go to Quebec, they lose that again. And the most westerly team in the east - Detroit - will never go back to the west.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #522
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do I smell an election in Quebec? I bet that’s all it is, politics.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:35 PM   #523
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The problem with moving the Coyotes there is that they finally got a balanced schedule of 16 teams in each conference. If the Yotes go to Quebec, they lose that again. And the most westerly team in the east - Detroit - will never go back to the west.
I hope Quebec gets a team again at some point, but the lack of symmetry would be really annoying. I imagine that some unlucky team from the east would have to move to the Western Conference. Or they could make the Quebec team stay in the west. I believe when the Flames first relocated to Calgary, they stayed in the Eastern Conference at first. My memory could be failing me, but I seem to recall they played Philly in the playoffs one year and I know it wasn't a Cup final.

I also wonder if there might be a team in the east looking to relocate and they are keeping it on the downlow, kind of like when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg. It seems less likely, but you never know. It's hard to imagine Bettman ever giving up on the Coyotes in Arizona though.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #524
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Without even reading the article I imagine it wouldn’t be an expansion franchise but likely the Coyotes relocating there. I can’t believe they could support a franchise without a corporate base but what do I know?
If Winnipeg can support an NHL team, Quebec City can.

They for sure won’t lose $300M over 20 years.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #525
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Keep Phoenix in Phoenix, but move them into Phoenix so they can be successful.

Then add a team in QC because it'll be successful too.

And a team in Houston to make it 34 so Dallas has a rival.

How is this a bad plan?
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #526
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If Winnipeg can support an NHL team, Quebec City can.

They for sure won’t lose $300M over 20 years.
Things are changing here.

The city is far less dependent on the provincial government then what it was in the 90's. Quebec city is growing and has an insanely low unemployment rate.

People aren't making 100k but most people do well. I agree 100% with the poster above, without a shadow of a doubt Quebec city would be a profitable market.
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #527
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Geographical balance.

Moving a team to the east and adding two expansion teams in the west.

Portland and Houston?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #528
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHL is extremely unlikely to expand again unless they can find owners willing to meet or top the $650 million fee paid by Seattle. To sell a new franchise below that price would set a bad precedent. All 32 existing franchises would be in danger of losing resale value, and the existing owners will never do that if they have any better choice.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:01 PM   #529
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I believe when the Flames first relocated to Calgary, they stayed in the Eastern Conference at first. My memory could be failing me, but I seem to recall they played Philly in the playoffs one year and I know it wasn't a Cup final.
The Flames were in the Patrick Division (today's Metro) for the their first season in Calgary.

It really didn't matter though because the league had a perfectly balanced schedule where all teams played exactly 4 games against each of the other 20 teams in the league, and the playoffs were a straight 1-16 format.

The Flames played Chicago, Philly, and Minnesota in the playoffs that season. Edmonton played the Habs in the first round and the Islanders in the second, and the Canucks played Buffalo in the first round.

There really wasn't any point to even having Divisions with that format.

The following year, the Flames moved to the Smythe Division and the schedule was re-structured to be more Division-heavy, and the playoffs switched to playing in-Division for the first two rounds with the Conference Finals in the third round.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #530
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus after seeing Seattle fall flat on their faces this season possible expansion owners might be more hesitant to pony up $650M+ for a team. Vegas was the outlier. Seattle has been successful with ticket and merchandise sales but thats a lot of money to pay for a bottom feeder off the get go.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:17 PM   #531
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Do I smell an election in Quebec? I bet that’s all it is, politics.
Undoubtedly it plays a role.

The arena is sitting there. What kind of a sweetheart deal with a potential owner could be arranged?
Old 11-20-2021, 07:42 AM   #532
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am pretty sure the Red Wings organization has zero say on where the NHL places them conference wise. Detroit should be a Western Conference team, I understand why they would prefer to stay in the East but every Western Conference team would prefer to play in the East if they could to shorten travel time. Move Detroit back to the Central and the Nords go to the Atlantic, problem solved.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #533
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am pretty sure the Red Wings organization has zero say on where the NHL places them conference wise. Detroit should be a Western Conference team, I understand why they would prefer to stay in the East but every Western Conference team would prefer to play in the East if they could to shorten travel time. Move Detroit back to the Central and the Nords go to the Atlantic, problem solved.
I don’t think they have zero say, and somewhere I read that there were promises made when they moved back. It use cost them millions to be in the western conference.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:38 AM   #534
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bettman says there is currently no opportunities that interest the NHL in Quebec City

https://twitter.com/user/status/1481695902326837250
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 11:49 AM   #535
Burn13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Bettman says there is currently no opportunities that interest the NHL in Quebec City

Love it. Less is more.
Burn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:57 AM   #536
Gemnoble
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

But by golly will they bend over into non-euclidean shapes to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix.
Gemnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemnoble For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 12:02 PM   #537
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Pretty standard boilerplate response.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:03 PM   #538
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Keep Phoenix in Phoenix, but move them into Phoenix so they can be successful.

Then add a team in QC because it'll be successful too.

And a team in Houston to make it 34 so Dallas has a rival.

How is this a bad plan?
I think that the talent level is stretched thin enough already. Adding two more teams would dilute things more. There is already far too many Pitlicks, Richardsons, and Ritchies getting regular shifts in this league. Expanding simply adds more plugs. More teams equals more AHL level talent in the NHL.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:17 PM   #539
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:
Icon39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemnoble View Post
But by golly will they bend over into non-euclidean shapes to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix.
HAHA, Stupid Quebec City!
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 02:07 PM   #540
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL isn't going to say anything different until the regular season is over. I think there is a pretty good chance the league and QC have a preliminary MOU about what could happen with the Coyotes. Maybe even something like a 3 year "show us" deal, but there will be a bidding process to establish the permanent location)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Time zone wise it's pretty ideal right now with 16 EST teams, 6 CST teams + ARI and COL, and 6 PST teams + CGY and EDM.

Obviously having 2 time zones in one division isn't the end of the world, though this would make 3 zones in the central division and there would be a few more PST vs. EST games.

Though if certain jurisdictions move to permanent DST or ST it could make things better or worse.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote