Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Flames 4 Bruins 0

Game Takes: Flames 4 Bruins 0

- Vladar with shut out number two!
- Mangiapane and Gaudreau score again
- Flames go 4-1-2 on the 7 game trip
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:26 AM   #2
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I mostly remember Peter Maher saying is that you can tell the true quality of a team from the second quarter of the schedule – roughly the second 20 games. That's when the season becomes a grind, injuries and fatigue begin to take a toll, and the contenders get separated from the pretenders. We'll have to see which one the Flames are this time around.

I wish I could remember the name of the Oiler back in the 90s who was trumpeted for the Calder based on scoring something crazy like 15 goals in the first 20 games of a season. He finished the year, as I recall, with about 17, and that was the end of him as an offensive star.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:33 AM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have never been a big shutout team over the decades. I imagine they have already eclipsed the high mark for shutouts in a season as a team and if not will do so easily by the end of the season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #4
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Flames have never been a big shutout team over the decades. I imagine they have already eclipsed the high mark for shutouts in a season as a team and if not will do so easily by the end of the season.

I recall Kipper getting 10 the year after the lockout, his Vezina season, and don’t believe his backups got any.

That should be handily beaten by the team this year if they keep playing the way they are
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Kipper had 10 in 2005-06
Old 11-22-2021, 08:06 AM   #6
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I recall Kipper getting 10 the year after the lockout, his Vezina season, and don’t believe his backups got any.

That should be handily beaten by the team this year if they keep playing the way they are
By pace for sure ... but there's nothing linear about shut outs. You need to play well, have the goalie play well, run into teams that are struggling, get some bounces.

Who knows they may have already run out of a few of those categories.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
By pace for sure ... but there's nothing linear about shut outs. You need to play well, have the goalie play well, run into teams that are struggling, get some bounces.

Who knows they may have already run out of a few of those categories.
The way Darryl coaches I would think that between now and April they should be able to get four more. It would certainly bode well for the team if they could eclipse that mark.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow 9-2-2 on the road. Leads the league in road games played (tied with the Islanders that did not have a home).

Rolling 4 lines as much has been done with only Lindholm and Gaudreau hitting the 18 minute of ice time

Sutter is getting more from the core players by limiting their ice time. The man is a genius.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm surprised at the advanced stats for the 4th line, they seemed to have an outstanding game with a lot of time spent in the Bruins' zone.

Also, Andersson and Hanifin seemed to play LARGEr than normal.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:23 AM   #10
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I'm surprised at the advanced stats for the 4th line, they seemed to have an outstanding game with a lot of time spent in the Bruins' zone.

Also, Andersson and Hanifin seemed to play LARGEr than normal.
Fourth line had a really good first period then not so much

Monahan was kind of the opposite

Overall maybe Rasmus’s best game this season and one of Hanifin’s. Kylington’s highest TOI of the season is good to see as well. Darry likes him

Curious to see what happens with Valimaki. He had a nice stat line but looked rusty (which makes sense - he got healthy scratched for 15 percent of a season)
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
wow 9-2-2 on the road. Leads the league in road games played (tied with the Islanders that did not have a home).

Rolling 4 lines as much has been done with only Lindholm and Gaudreau hitting the 18 minute of ice time

Sutter is getting more from the core players by limiting their ice time. The man is a genius.
while I think it is all part of the design anyways (balancing the lines- particularly so during compact road trips) , the Flames have had the advantage (at least many nights) of opening up a lead (and sometimes a generous one) which makes it more palatable to run the lines. again I think he would be doing it anyways

whatever the case I'm buying it
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote