Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #101
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sundin was pretty damn good. It's close with him.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #102
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

One more Iginla story for your enjoyment.

Iginla and his closest friends celebrate ultimate milestone together.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...-hall-of-fame/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #103
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Sundin was pretty damn good. It's close with him.
All those guys were good. But Sundin got a Leafs bump. He wasn’t as good as either Iggy or Thornton in my books.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 10:05 PM   #104
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
^ Without looking Imma bet that every other guy on those lists is in the top 100 players.

Iginla was better than Sundin, Kurri, Gartner, Lafontaine, Lemaire, Modano, Newy, the Pocket Rocket, Shanahan, Ratelle, Mahovolich, Cornouyer and Delvecchio (and that’s just counting the forwards on the 100 list that I saw play).

ETA: Iggy, Thornton, Hawerchuk and Malkin can make their own club.
I do not know about the older guys, but Iginla was not better than Shanahan
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:09 PM   #105
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
Iginla was not better than Shanahan
*Iginla's supporting cast was not (ever) better than Shanahan's, you mean

Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov, and Nicklas Lidstrom
vs
Craig Conroy, Matthew Lombardi and Robyn Regehr

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 10:23 PM   #106
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
*Iginla's supporting cast was not (ever) better than Shanahan's, you mean

Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov, and Nicklas Lidstrom
vs
Craig Conroy, Matthew Lombardi and Robyn Regehr
He played many seasons before being traded to the Wings, and his production went down during his time with Wings because he had to play a more complete game and share ice time with other good players.

And he was almost a point per game player at age 38 in his first year with the NYR, Iginla was nowhere near that with better players in Pitts/Bos/Col

Last edited by WCW Nitro; 11-16-2021 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:42 AM   #107
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

The point is that...

- 16th all-time in goals scored (tied with Sakic)
- 7th all-time in era-adjusted goals scored
- 4th all-time in consecutive 30-goal seasons
- 5th all-time in total 30-goal seasons
- 7th all-time in game-winning goals

All of that ^^ PLUS...

- 72 career fights - most of them against some pretty legitimate opponents (here's a few of them)
- - Barret Jackman x2
- - Cody McCormick x2
- - Steve Ott x2
- - Cody McLeod x2
- - Willie Mitchell x2
- - Brendan Shanahan x2
- - Radko Gudas x2
- - Deryk Engelland
- - Denny Lambert
- - Lyle Odelein
- - Rick Tocchet
- - Ryane Clowe
- - Bill Guerin
- - Zac Rinaldo
- - Jordin Tootoo
- - Darren McCarty
- - Derian Hatcher
- - Rod Brind'Amour
- - Tom Wilson

PLUS... 2x Olympic Gold... 1x World Championship... 1x World Cup

PLUS... Currently leads all Canadian players in points and goals since the NHL (re-?)joined the Olympics in 1998, with 10 goals and 14 points in 19 games. The next-closest "modern-day" Canadian player in goals-scored is Eric Lindros with 8 goals in 20 games (even though 5 of his goals were in the 92 Olympics, before he was in the NHL). The next closest (since '98) in points is Sakic with 13.

One of the top-10 greatest and most consistent goal-scorers of all-time, and arguably one of the 5 best power forwards of all time, but not considered one of the "Best 100 Players Ever."

Last edited by FanIn80; 11-17-2021 at 11:54 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #108
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He played many seasons before being traded to the Wings, and his production went down during his time with Wings because he had to play a more complete game and share ice time with other good players.

And he was almost a point per game player at age 38 in his first year with the NYR, Iginla was nowhere near that with better players in Pitts/Bos/Col
Shanahan is an interesting one I suppose. Its hard for me to see an argument where Shanny is clearly better than Iggy, there may be an argument for the opposite but hard to know

Shanny was a beast, but his highest finish in goal scoring was 5th (Iggy let the league twice) and in points 8th (Iggy led the league once). Shanny's highest finish in MVP voting I believe was 15th (edit- apologies I see he was 9th once), and Iggy was top 3 on 3 occasions as I recall. there was never really a legitimate discussion revolving around Shanahan as the best player in the league, or a top 5 five player for a real period of time, whereas Iginla arguably there was. Even in that 38 year old season with the Rangers, he was 4th in team scoring (behind 3 ohter guys in their mid 30s)

Shanahan was an amazing example of a player of a similar type to Iginla- yet i think there is a defensible argument that at least prime Iginla was better

Last edited by looooob; 11-17-2021 at 11:52 AM.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #109
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I watched both of their entire careers and IMO, yeah he was. Iggy on any of Shanahan's teams would have cleaned up.

And you mentioned he wasn't with the Wings the whole time? Right, prior to that he was with the Blues who had guys like Hull and Janney or the Devils with McLean, Muller, Stastny, Lemieux, Fetisov, Sundstrom. Hell, even his Rangers had Jagr, peak Gomez, Drury, Nylander, Straka, etc.

Iginla was a better player.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:25 PM   #110
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll speak to Mahovolich, as he was my favourite player growing up (he and Orr).

Obviously I am somewhat biased, and yet I still think Iginla is pretty clearly the better player.

Delvecchio is an interesting one - almost identical career numbers to Iginla. Played on a hell of a line (unlike Iginla), but was a great player in his own right. I didn't see him enough to be able to make an assessment one way or the other.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #111
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
Shanahan is an interesting one I suppose. Its hard for me to see an argument where Shanny is clearly better than Iggy, there may be an argument for the opposite but hard to know

Shanny was a beast, but his highest finish in goal scoring was 5th (Iggy let the league twice) and in points 8th (Iggy led the league once). Shanny's highest finish in MVP voting I believe was 15th (edit- apologies I see he was 9th once), and Iggy was top 3 on 3 occasions as I recall. there was never really a legitimate discussion revolving around Shanahan as the best player in the league, or a top 5 five player for a real period of time, whereas Iginla arguably there was. Even in that 38 year old season with the Rangers, he was 4th in team scoring (behind 3 ohter guys in their mid 30s)

Shanahan was an amazing example of a player of a similar type to Iginla- yet i think there is a defensible argument that at least prime Iginla was better
That's very true, but during Shanahan's prime there were a lot more superstars in the league than during the time when Iginla led the league in goals/points. If Iginla's prime coincided with players like Lemieux/Jagr/Sakic/ Lindros/etc there would have been no discussion of Iginla being the best player in the league.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #112
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I watched both of their entire careers and IMO, yeah he was. Iggy on any of Shanahan's teams would have cleaned up.

And you mentioned he wasn't with the Wings the whole time? Right, prior to that he was with the Blues who had guys like Hull and Janney or the Devils with McLean, Muller, Stastny, Lemieux, Fetisov, Sundstrom. Hell, even his Rangers had Jagr, peak Gomez, Drury, Nylander, Straka, etc.

Iginla was a better player.
Janney fell off incredibly without Shanahan, while Shanahan continued to perform, even in Hartford and they had nobody. Gomez and Drury were not in NY during Shanahan's first and most productive year there, and when did Nylander and Straka become stars? They were average players who had a couple of good years playing with guys like Shanahan and Jagr.

I am saying it's a slam dunk, but it's definitely not a stretch to think that Shanahan was better.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:53 PM   #113
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's very true, but during Shanahan's prime there were a lot more superstars in the league than during the time when Iginla led the league in goals/points. If Iginla's prime coincided with players like Lemieux/Jagr/Sakic/ Lindros/etc there would have been no discussion of Iginla being the best player in the league.
fair enough although I don't think players all of a sudden stopped getting good at hockey during Iggy's prime- there were good players in Iggy's time too- we can argue that in 01-02 that was a year where for whatever reason there weren't as many elites on the top of their game but that was only one of 3 times he was tabbed as one of the league's top 3 players...Shanahan was consistently behind too many of his peers- anyways in the end I think you could argue maybe that Shahanan's career had more depth to it and Iggy had more peak but at best they are darn close
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:10 PM   #114
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
fair enough although I don't think players all of a sudden stopped getting good at hockey during Iggy's prime- there were good players in Iggy's time too- we can argue that in 01-02 that was a year where for whatever reason there weren't as many elites on the top of their game but that was only one of 3 times he was tabbed as one of the league's top 3 players...Shanahan was consistently behind too many of his peers- anyways in the end I think you could argue maybe that Shahanan's career had more depth to it and Iggy had more peak but at best they are darn close
Iggy played at the same time as Jagr, Forsberg, Sakic, shooting on guys named Roy, Brodeur and Hayek, and then in the second half of his career, with, Sid, Ovie, Malkin.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #115
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to compare Iginla and Shanahan to be honest, but I'd do Iginla.

Iginla basically was the Flames offense for most years. He'd lead the team in scoring by like 20-30 points. Shanahan was always a cog in a bigger wheel except for that one year in Hartford.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #116
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regardless of how you place Iginla against Shanahan, Sundin, Thornton and other similar players Iginla being left off the top 100 is a complete and total joke!
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #117
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Hard to compare Iginla and Shanahan to be honest, but I'd do Iginla.

schteve_d is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:

Tags
greatest flame ever