Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #61
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am a little sad as a close skiing buddy hasn't been vaxxed and isn't looking to get vaxxed. We bought Sunshine seasons passes again this year but with this requirement, it may be a lonely year.

I am fully onboard with vaccination, even on the hills for common areas etc indoors but to get onto the hill seems a bit much in some regards. The ski hills for the most part operated with virtually zero cases amongst guests during last winter during some really bad waves. The outbreaks that did happen was mostly amongst staff living in close quarters and people partying amongst their group of friends. The risk of getting Covid at a skill hill with the level of people vaxxed, being outdoors etc is about as low as possible.

Hopefully he changes his mind soon and I can get out, last year was magical in a lot of ways as it had been a few years since I had gone on a regular basis.
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:46 PM   #62
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I am a little sad as a close skiing buddy hasn't been vaxxed and isn't looking to get vaxxed. We bought Sunshine seasons passes again this year but with this requirement, it may be a lonely year.

I am fully onboard with vaccination, even on the hills for common areas etc indoors but to get onto the hill seems a bit much in some regards. The ski hills for the most part operated with virtually zero cases amongst guests during last winter during some really bad waves. The outbreaks that did happen was mostly amongst staff living in close quarters and people partying amongst their group of friends. The risk of getting Covid at a skill hill with the level of people vaxxed, being outdoors etc is about as low as possible.

Hopefully he changes his mind soon and I can get out, last year was magical in a lot of ways as it had been a few years since I had gone on a regular basis.
I think for Sunshine, in particular, the vaccine mandate is very important just so there isn't a bottleneck at the gondola trying to move people up to the hill. With the mandate, they'll be able to cram people into the gondola and you won't be waiting in line at the base for hours.

I only went to Lake Louise last year, but they did a great job of protecting guests from Covid, which is why we didn't hear of any crazy transmission there. I went about 25 times and didn't eat inside a lodge a single time. My kids had snowboard club there about 15 full days and also didn't eat inside even once. The lodges were essentially closed, they had people policing the lines for social distancing and mask usage, and they didn't put different cohorts in the gondola.

If they can make vaccines a requirement, they save themselves so much trouble and it allows the rest of us to have a more normal season.

Anti-vaxxers like your friend should absolutely not be accommodated by the rest of us. Bummer you'll be without your ski friend, though, but from an outside perspective...fata him.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #63
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not just the guests, they are very tight on staff this year. Having outbreaks would be a real PITA for them. I don't think it would reduce guest counts much, in fact it may boost them if people feel safe, and like they can buy lunch in a crowded lodge.

These are business decisions now, and when the numbers are crunched, I think vaccine mandates make loads of sense for them in that regard.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:03 PM   #64
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m all over the place. My son is supposed to be flying to Calgary with his school in February for a ski trip to Jasper during February.

16-18 year olds in the UK have and are only receiving one Pfizer jab which means no one in his class will be able to enter Canada as policies in both countries currently stand.

Added to that, we have a ski trip planned for April. I’m fully vaxxed, but the same problem remains for my son.

Added to that, my friend in Calgary, who I’ve been skiing at Sunshine with since I was a child is refusing to get any of the current vaccines, saying he is holding out for a vaccine that may or may not be approved by January. Then he plans to get the Spring Pass from March.

He is being otherwise careful, but that won’t matter because Sunshine’s policy will prevent him skiing there. It is a completely sensible policy given the challenges provided by the Gondola lines.

After two years of ski trips being cancelled I’m dreading the potential ruination of another trip - 2 trips for my son.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #65
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I’m all over the place. My son is supposed to be flying to Calgary with his school in February for a ski trip to Jasper during February.

16-18 year olds in the UK have and are only receiving one Pfizer jab which means no one in his class will be able to enter Canada as policies in both countries currently stand.

Added to that, we have a ski trip planned for April. I’m fully vaxxed, but the same problem remains for my son.

Added to that, my friend in Calgary, who I’ve been skiing at Sunshine with since I was a child is refusing to get any of the current vaccines, saying he is holding out for a vaccine that may or may not be approved by January. Then he plans to get the Spring Pass from March.

He is being otherwise careful, but that won’t matter because Sunshine’s policy will prevent him skiing there. It is a completely sensible policy given the challenges provided by the Gondola lines.

After two years of ski trips being cancelled I’m dreading the potential ruination of another trip - 2 trips for my son.
Good word. Don't think I've seen it before.

That's disappointing for you, but super crappy for your son and his friends. Young people are sure missing out on some fun stuff that all of us took for granted when we grew up.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #66
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The rumour is Nakiska is opening on the 11th? What do we know about that?

https://skinakiska.com/conditions/snow-report/

Quote:
The snow is falling! Our tentative preview weekend is now the 11th-14th of November!! Lifts will open at 10:30am, ticket prices will reflect the terrain for the day.
No beginner/intermediate terrain will be available this weekend. Limited services will be available. (maybe only expert skiing?)

Last edited by troutman; 11-08-2021 at 07:54 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #67
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

https://twitter.com/SunshineVillage/...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Sunshine says they are opening Nov. 11th also
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:49 PM   #68
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ If anything the 11th is a bit late for Nakiska. Normally Nakiska and Norquay are competing to be the first to open around or just after Halloween.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:50 PM   #69
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think Nakiska will only have expert runs open, and Sunshine only the Bunny Hill.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #70
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

has anybody been to LL yet?
Old 11-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #71
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
has anybody been to LL yet?
Negative. It looks terrible, though. Live cam:

https://www.skilouise.com/mountain-c...777.1636569701
Old 11-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #72
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went last Saturday, thinnest opening day in years, was super fun, park had a jump and 5 rails, two thumb up, can't wait to go back this weekend.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #73
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Went last Saturday, thinnest opening day in years, was super fun, park had a jump and 5 rails, two thumb up, can't wait to go back this weekend.
Well dang, guess I'll go on Saturday then.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #74
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

With the women’s downhill going on at LL, are there run and lift closures?
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #75
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a lift close for it. Men's downhill will obviously be closed, including the upper bit. I believe it starts somewhere near the base of the old summit platter, just up from that.

Looks like Sunshine was closed today for avalanche control on the road. I checked the Louise webcam this morning, and it was busy for a Wednesday. Ah, still have it cached.

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #76
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw that LL was giving Sunshine cardholders 20% off due to the Sunshine closure.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #77
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Also wondering if there's any impact on my plan to head to LL this weekend.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #78
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Was at Louise today. Holy fata was it epic.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #79
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, Louise the last few days has been awesome. The sun today was welcomed.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:28 PM   #80
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hitting marmot saturday, feels great that winter is back