Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-30-2021, 06:03 PM   #5001
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What do you think of the Optishot from the amount you have used it? Obviously not tracking the ball limits the 'realism' but I am curious about the fun factor to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I bought the optishot 2 last year and built out a full simulator cage in my office.
I really need to use it a lot more though to be honest. Not getting my money's worth on it yet.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:45 AM   #5002
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop27 View Post
What do you think of the Optishot from the amount you have used it? Obviously not tracking the ball limits the 'realism' but I am curious about the fun factor to it.
It's pretty good for the price.
Even just using it with a hitting net and your laptop screen is enough to get going and playing rounds. Comes with 14 course + a range.
I find it's quite accurate for distance and angles, but it doesn't track thin or fat shots well since it's just sensors tracking the clubhead passing over them.

However, I'm not sure I'd buy it again.
With products like the Garmin R10 coming out, there's probably a setup that's cost effective and tracks the ball I'd try to create.
Plus I'd love to have something I can take from my sim to the range and back & forth like that.

The other problem I have is it's difficult to use with both right & left handed players.
Unless you have a really wide space where you setup stance mats on both sides. You can't really move it for each player as sitting inside the stance mat and wired out to your computer.
My space I'd about 10' wide, so I've set it up for righties and lefties can't join us for a round.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #5003
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Courses should be out of overseed by then.

Silver Rock is excellent. Ram's Hill is a bit of a drive, but is a decent track.

Classic Club is garbage, avoid at all costs.

Classic club is pretty highly rated...what makes it garbage in your opinion?

I'm going to play Escena next week while I'm there...ever played? Looks like the highest rated course in PS proper. A large upgrade from Tahquitz where I usually play...
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #5004
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've played Escena. It's a good walk. Not the hardest course around, and pretty much all there right in front of you. No range, but have a large warmup net.

Classic Club is complete horse####. I had three teeballs land right in the middle of the fairway end up in the water. And not ones that were curving towards the hazard at all. Conditions were terrible (was there in January) hardpan dirt with bare patches throughout the fairways.

Terrible design and poor conditions. For $100 green fee it should be a lot better.

Both Desert Willow courses are better as is Ram's Hill.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #5005
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone see if that Banff Springs deal came through this year?
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:40 PM   #5006
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
It usually comes up in the new year, no? Usually it's announced around march and available for booking for a couple of weeks in early april.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:39 AM   #5007
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It usually comes up in the new year, no? Usually it's announced around march and available for booking for a couple of weeks in early april.
It is associated with the Calgary Golf Show which is March 19-20, 2022 so expect the deal to happen the last week of March or early April.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:29 AM   #5008
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looks like a new indoor place in my neck of the woods. Had an appointment in this building last week and noticed the sign up outside.

https://gogogolf.ca/

Apologies if old news, admittedly I didnt go back far in the thread to see if it has already been mentioned.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #5009
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
Looks like a new indoor place in my neck of the woods. Had an appointment in this building last week and noticed the sign up outside.

https://gogogolf.ca/

Apologies if old news, admittedly I didnt go back far in the thread to see if it has already been mentioned.
Curious about the automatic lie converter. Does anyone know what this looks like? What do they do for rough or bunkers?
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #5010
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Curious about the automatic lie converter. Does anyone know what this looks like? What do they do for rough or bunkers?
It’s just a different carpet depending on where your ball lands.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #5011
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Wonder if it's the same tech Rad Golf on 42nd is using. Some kind of Korean simulator that tilts from side to side.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #5012
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wonder if it's the same tech Rad Golf on 42nd is using. Some kind of Korean simulator that tilts from side to side.
Looks like the same owners as the one on 10 Ave downtown. It rotates depending on the lie with different carpets.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #5013
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
It's pretty good for the price.
Even just using it with a hitting net and your laptop screen is enough to get going and playing rounds. Comes with 14 course + a range.
I find it's quite accurate for distance and angles, but it doesn't track thin or fat shots well since it's just sensors tracking the clubhead passing over them.

However, I'm not sure I'd buy it again.
With products like the Garmin R10 coming out, there's probably a setup that's cost effective and tracks the ball I'd try to create.
Plus I'd love to have something I can take from my sim to the range and back & forth like that.

The other problem I have is it's difficult to use with both right & left handed players.
Unless you have a really wide space where you setup stance mats on both sides. You can't really move it for each player as sitting inside the stance mat and wired out to your computer.
My space I'd about 10' wide, so I've set it up for righties and lefties can't join us for a round.
I picked up the R10 and it’s pretty good so far. It’s obviously not the same as the $10,000 options available, but it’s good. I used it an indoor range and it’s adequate for what I need. I’m trying to straighten things out (literally), and it gives you all the metrics you need for that. Basically, it has everything in terms of club speed, face angle, and everything else I can think of for tracking. The distances seem reasonable as far as accuracy goes, or at least in the ballpark. It’s hard to know until I use it outside where you can see where the ball goes, of course.

I played a course on there and it’s fine, I guess. That’s a subscription service at $130/yr and I just can’t see keeping that after the trial. It’s just not that great and that seems like a lot to pay for something that I can’t see myself using very often.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:38 PM   #5014
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have my R10 set up in my basement with a hitting mat, screen and projector. It's been awesome! I plan on doing a full golf sim at some point but for this winter I just went ultra budget.

R10 - 800$
Hitting Mat + Ball Feeder - 600$
Projector - 250$
E6 Connect - 400$ for 1 year.

I don't use the hometown hero app though, I sprung for E6 connect through my laptop and I've been very impressed.

Have you updated the R10? The last update seemed to really kick up the accuracy.
Spoiler!

Last edited by indes; 12-18-2021 at 01:46 PM.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #5015
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you get through E6 connect? I think it’s updated, but I’m not entirely sure. I basically just fired it up right away, lol.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #5016
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
What do you get through E6 connect? I think it’s updated, but I’m not entirely sure. I basically just fired it up right away, lol.
E6 connect is just a better software, 27 golf courses and better UI and ranges. E6 is for using the R10 as an indoor sim. The R10 also comes with 5 free courses on E6 if you have an iPad or iPhone.

To update the R10 you need to download Garmin connect on your PC and plug it in through the USB.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #5017
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, was able to escape the cold to Palm Springs and get in 3 rounds over the last 3 days. Pretty fantastic conditions on the courses right now. Was weird teeing off at 12:30 and getting close to darkness on 18! I’d definitely come back and play here. Shot 88, 92, and 87 so played pretty well too.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #5018
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where did you play?
Old 12-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #5019
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where did you play?
Tehquitz creek resort course (fantastic shape and amazing value at $69)
Marriott valley course (decent course, good value at $67)
Desert Willow - fire cliff (probably the best course I have ever played).

We cancelled pga west and subbed in Marriott as there was a huge wind warning with 60 mph winds. Mariott was a hot deal on golf now and the wind was bananas for a while.

Last edited by Weitz; 12-28-2021 at 06:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2021, 07:04 PM   #5020
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I stayed at the Desert Willow when I was last there.

Both those courses are fantastic. We were there at the end of January so had a little bit more light. Because I was at the resort I could do twilight for $35 and almost get finished.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow