Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #61
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCatalyst View Post
I’m seriously considering buying a place in either Hidden Valley or Sandstone. Can anyone speak on the noise levels from planes? There are 2 airport noise maps. The old one has hidden valley in the 25 db range, whereas the new one it looks to be fine. I’d just like to hear an honest opinion from people who have lived there. For example, if you have windows open during the summer are the planes disturbing sleep? Or if you’re in your backyard is it pretty bad? Like bad enough to have to stop a conversation?

I still live in Hidden Valley. I don’t notice the planes at all unless they are flying lower than normal. I’d recommend just walking around and see if you can tell.

My biggest complaint, and maybe it’s true of all neighbourhoods, are sounds of sup’d up cars at night.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #62
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I live in Sandstone, it's great! There is subtle airplane noise occasionally but it's never loud enough to bug me and it's never interrupted a conversation. I agree with wormius, the only noise complaint I have is the stupid morons racing loud cars and motorbikes at night on country hills blvd
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:21 PM   #63
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I live in Evanston,

It's a drive in - drive out community for sure, so better make sure that's the life style you are looking for. In terms of the area, great access to shopping / entertainment possibly as good as you can get in the suburbs. Pretty much as bad of access as you can get to dining in Calgary, if that's you cup of tea.

Symons Valley / Sage Hill / Nolan hill, I'm not sure I'd want to live that close to the east side of a land fill (just food for thought).

Sage Meadow / Kincora are probably the nicest areas around here, at least at face value.

Evanston, lacking an HOA is a bit of an issue. even new communities like Livingston are kicking the crap out of us in terms of community amenities, but if you have kids Evanston might be the best bet, we already have K-9 catholic (not that people should be propping up a publicly funded school system that exists on the premise of discriminating) and K-4 for public and probably 5-8 in 2-3 years based on the CBEs capital plan). One really nice thing about Evanston if you are looking at detached garage, all of the alleys are paved.

Hidden Valley, this could be my bias but I think a lot of stuff build ~2001 in Calgary, seems to be cheap for lack of another term.

All of this said if there was 1 community I would opt into in the area, it's Panorama. Has the HOA, has the clubhouse, has the schools (right up to grade 12 next year). in the same basic location. They finally built the back exit to Stoney this year, so you can get some houses in the back of the community that used to take 5 minutes to really get moving at rush hours, now going straight onto Stoney .
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 01:08 PM   #64
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
All of this said if there was 1 community I would opt into in the area, it's Panorama. Has the HOA, has the clubhouse, has the schools (right up to grade 12 next year). in the same basic location. They finally built the back exit to Stoney this year, so you can get some houses in the back of the community that used to take 5 minutes to really get moving at rush hours, now going straight onto Stoney .
We just passed our one year anniversary after buying a house in Panorama, and I have zero regrets. We're in the middle between an elementary and middle school, which is awesome for the kids. Walking distance to the community center, tons of shopping/entertainment nearby, and my commute downtown (when I do have to work in the office) is pretty easy with Deerfoot in the morning and 14th St in the afternoon. Having that new interchange is awesome now as well, I can get to Sage Hill for my Wine & Beyond "shopping" in 6-7 minutes. It's been such a huge quality of life improvement after living in Chestermere for the last 10 years
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #65
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The quick access to Beddington, Shaganappi, Country Hills, Stoney Trail, and 14th is pretty nice. I kind of hate that there aren’t a lot of good restaurants and cafés in this area.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:11 PM   #66
LostCatalyst
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ok much appreciated. I realize Sandstone and Hidden Valley are a little bit isolated from restaurants/bars and the like. But it seems it could be a pretty cheap uber ride over to Canadian Brewhouse. So that's pretty good.
LostCatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #67
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ok much appreciated. I realize Sandstone and Hidden Valley are a little bit isolated from restaurants/bars and the like. But it seems it could be a pretty cheap uber ride over to Canadian Brewhouse. So that's pretty good.

Yeah I've even walked to Brewhouse to get my car the next day. Brixton's is pretty good but it seems to change owners and staff frequently. Madison's is nearby in Beddington too but I haven't really been there. Tipsy Pig is gone to Evanston now.
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #68
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Don’t forget about Scotsman’s Well in Creekside!
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkidding For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #69
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are these pubs good?
Old 10-18-2021, 09:17 PM   #70
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
T-Pot right next to the Brewhouse is fantastic for Chinese food, and there's a new dim sum place opening up beside the Save On Foods in Panorama. Hopefully it's decent
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:30 PM   #71
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
T-Pot right next to the Brewhouse is fantastic for Chinese food, and there's a new dim sum place opening up beside the Save On Foods in Panorama. Hopefully it's decent

Oh yeah, T-Pot’s very good… and Seniore’s Pizza.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #72
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

I must admit it's funny seeing the older posts from 2013 about Evanston and the 'no school' and 'one way in one way out', etc. Things sure have changed for the better, granted it took time. I moved to Evanston in 2017 so the public elementary school done by then, and the playground the school was fighting for was done 2018. Now with the 14th st interchange done and the new (2nd) catholic school done now (that takes pressure off the one public school) it's getting pretty comfy here.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:01 PM   #73
P-Rugby
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Are these pubs good?
There’s a Leopolds in sage hill
Old 10-18-2021, 11:20 PM   #74
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The correct answer to Wormius's question, it doesn't really matter. Having local pubs does not good dining make.

Everywhere has local pubs, and everywhere has a contingent that loves their pub, and those people are not wrong, there a passible pubs all over Calgary anyone could fall in love with. But if I'm looking for a nice dinner out with a chef on staff and no sports ball game on in the background I'm driving minimum 10-15 KM. When I say North Calgary has a dining quality problem that is what I am talking about. [This will make my daughter happy] To quote the poet Walker Hayes bringing up your local pub in a discussion about dining quality is kinda "Fancy like Applebees on a date night".
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 05:57 AM   #75
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Stay in your quadrant, Goon!

Also, who else thinks we should call people from Kincora “Kinkies”?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote