Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #41
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I would think this costs Tkachuk - he was offered 8x8.

Suzuki is a better player, playing a more valuable position, in the highest-taxes market in the game, who just went to a Final.

And he didn’t get 8x8.
He is? every signing we have things like this posted as facts

I would have a tough time picking between them, going to the finals doesn't change his value IMO. Flames won more games in a debacle season, they were pretty fortunate to be a playoff team and likely won't even be close this year.

Last edited by dino7c; 10-12-2021 at 01:43 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #42
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Tkachuk doesn't score more though.

Tkachuk has 80 points in 127 games over the last two seasons (0.63 PPG)

Suzuki has 82 points in 127 games over the last two seasons (0.65 PPG), and has been even better in the playoffs with 23 points in 32 games (0.72 PPG).

Also according to advanced stats Suzuki has been one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL the last two seasons.

Still some work to do to be worth this contract, but it's worth the bet to try and sign him now to get him locked up long term IMO.
Curious how he does with Danault gone. He will likely get tougher matchups this season.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:50 PM   #43
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

I would have a tough time picking between them, going to the finals doesn't change his value IMO. Flames won more games in a debacle season, they were pretty fortunate to be a playoff team and likely won't even be close this year.
He's a Centre, which is a significant tie-breaker if you want to say two players are close.

He lead the Habs forwards in TOI int he regular season, and tied for the lead with Danault in the playoffs.

Being the most played player who scored the most goals and most points on a team that went to the finals is significant.

While I don't love the AAV, I think this is the better route for the Habs than doing a bridge (which don't typically happen until the off-season, when he would presumably be vulnerable to another offer-sheet from the Canes).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #44
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still remember laughing when the Oilers signed Draisaitl for $8.5M. I guess this is the same sort of gamble. Time will tell if it's worth it or not.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #45
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I still remember laughing when the Oilers signed Draisaitl for $8.5M. I guess this is the same sort of gamble. Time will tell if it's worth it or not.
Hindsight has been showing that locking up your young Stars for 8 years coming off their ELCs tends to be the right move...even if it costs a bit more short term.

I wish we had two more years of Gaudreau, and 5 more years of Tkachuk after this season.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #46
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Tkachuk doesn't score more though.

Tkachuk has 80 points in 127 games over the last two seasons (0.63 PPG)

Suzuki has 82 points in 127 games over the last two seasons (0.65 PPG), and has been even better in the playoffs with 23 points in 32 games (0.72 PPG).

Also according to advanced stats Suzuki has been one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL the last two seasons.

Still some work to do to be worth this contract, but it's worth the bet to try and sign him now to get him locked up long term IMO.
I said scores more as in goals, Tkachuk .30 GPG, Suzuki .22 GPG.

I get it, Suzuki is a center but .02 PPG better does not make him more valuable than Tkachuk IMO
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #47
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Suzuki lead his team in playoff scoring and tied for the team lead among forwards in ice time with Danault.

Suzuki is -20 over two years. He was -15 as a rookie and -5 in year 2. Tkachuk is -41 over three years, and his +/- shows a positively Nealesque trajectory. -10, -14, -17.

Tkachuk’s PPG has been the same since his rookie year - 0.63 his first two, 0.64 last year.

Suzuki’s PPG jumped from 0.58 as a rookie to 0.73.

In 32 playoff games, Suzuki is a 0.72 PPG player.

Conversely, Brady Tkachuk has a famous dad and a famous brother, both of whom are better at hockey.

If I had to give one player or the other 8x8, Suzuki is the clear choice.