Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #81
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't share the sentiment, but I understand it.

I subscribe to the notion that Darryl Sutter is a big game-changer. I also think that this season's acquisitions will mould into something really good here - I believe this is going to be the hardest working team that we have seen since Hartley's days, and that they will be the most physical since the 2013-14 season (line brawl anyone? say what you will, but that line brawl propelled the Flames the rest of the season and into the next, all the way to round 2 of the playoffs, while wrecking Vancouver and forcing them to fire their coach and enter a rebuild). They will also be the hardest Flames team to score on since the old Darryl Sutter days too with Kipper. This is my reason for optimism this season. Do I rank somewhere around 1 or 2? LoL, no. Of course not. I am, however, probably a lot closer to 1 or 2 than 30 or 31. I think the Flames have a shot at the division this year, with maybe a 2nd round (or even 3rd round) playoff appearance depending on the opponent. The Pacific is weak this year (and I have a feeling Vegas shows a large regression this season - still near the top of the division, but the headlines will be about 'What's wrong with Vegas?' around the NHL. I also think that the west is rather weak overall. Who is a legit contender this year in the west? I see only Colorado. St. Louis seems to be a team that is regressing IMO. Chicago is still building while trying to compete now - they will be better, especially with Dach back, but I don't see a contender. Nashville seems to be weak. Stars should be pretty good - but I wouldn't bet money on them since they are so Jekyll and Hyde too. Winnipeg? Probably one of the stronger teams in the west this season, and I don't think they are a contender at all. Minnesota? Not a chance.

I look at this season as 'the best' or perhaps 'the last' chance to make some noise with this team for the foreseeable future. Why?

1) The west overall kind of sucks this year
2) Gaudreau and Tkachuk - might be their last year here in Calgary, and who knows what returns they will garner and if the returns work out better or worse. If they are re-signed, it will be to higher cap hits than they are making now, so even more difficulty in putting together a contending team.
3) Darryl Sutter - call me a stupid Sutterite, but I consider him to be the X-Factor. Squeezes blood from rocks for his breakfast every morning. Bathes in the tears of his enemies' wives every night before retiring for bed. That kind of stuff.
4) For the first time since the 2013-14 season, this team is legit tough. Yeah, for some people, that means 'slow and crappy', I get it. Look at what that line brawl did in Vancouver. McGrattan, Westgarth, Smid, Jackman (though traded) were all pretty tough. Plus you had players with size and/or some grit to their game like Colborne, Bouma, Jones and a few others up and down the lineup. That team started having a tonne of swagger, especially after that brawl. It destroyed Vancouver and sent them down the standings, ending up with firing their coach and forcing them into a rebuild, while propelling Calgary into solid play the rest of the season (so solid, that Aaron Ward rightly predicted the Flames to make the playoffs the following year) all the way into the 2nd round of the playoffs the following season.

I disagree with how this organization has been run under Treliving. Hired piss-poor coaches. Tried to compete before this team was ready. Traded too much draft capital over the years. In charge of a team that has shown zero consistency in even making the playoffs, much less winning. There is no excuse for it.

However, how will this season go? I am betting pretty darn good. We will see I guess.

However, I can also 100% fully acknowledge that things may not work out. I do think that this team can use more talent - defence and top-end talent mostly. I don't think this team is a contender - don't misunderstand me being optimistic. I don't have anyone being a legit contender outside of Colorado from the West this season, and even that team has some big holes on their roster.

I am just looking forward with some optimism to see how this season unfolds. If they fall on their faces, well, then I will assume that a rebuild is around the corner.

As an aside, I do feel like this season on CP mirrors the 2012 season with lots of people riled up and an overly-negative tone to the boards. Think back to that time. Remember how a lot of that negative crowd just got silenced once this team entered (by force, kicking and screaming) into a rebuild? Well, for the people that really can't see the light this season (I don't blame you, but there is some light IMO), just relax and know that if this fails, then you can bet that the Flames will be entering a rebuild given their contract situation. So enjoy this (possibly last) season where the Flames are relevant and competing in the standings.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #82
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks Calgary4L you've talked me off the ledge and renewed my faith in mankind.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #83
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Coyotes:

don't have a building
suck EVERY year
trade their good players away because they can't afford them
traded ALL their good players away this year
play to an empty building
don't make a sound when their team falls in a forest

And even their fans are more optimistic than Flames fans
BS, the Coyotes only have one fan, Jordan.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #84
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickEstrada View Post
I understand why some of the glass half full posters get frustrated with the growing number of unhappy fans but as you can see it's not just posters here frustrated with the team. Most Flames fans have moved on from this core of players and are waiting for change.
One thing that I don't think gets mentioned is the thread about contract talks "starting" re: Johnny then nothing happens all summer. So you have fans looking optimistic and excited about what's about to happen yet nothing happened. Losing Gio didn't help.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:34 PM   #85
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, much of it has been mentioned. For the offseason, the reconciliation of potentially being in the Eichel mix turned, within weeks, of people expecting (100% healthy) Eichel and move b and c as well to transform the team.
And when it didn’t happen, which was a long shot at best, people got a lot more apathetic or angry when those personal hopes that got way too high for no legit reason, were crushed.

Plus, it’s an odd vibe. The Dome is suited for the Flames playing well and being at games in person is something that gets people excited in of itself. That hasn’t occurred in almost 19 months, so handful of posters that are full long time season ticket holders have the extra disconnect, and those that watch on TV don’t and haven’t get sucked into the team by an atmosphere that’s pretty cool around then Dome when they are winning and playing well within a game…and that vibe makes it way through the TV.

A good start, good crowds, will get some of the apathy shook off as people (such as myself) get back into the hockey routine and back to the Dome or watching a lively Dome on TV. Have to say I am looking forward to a Sutter team claiming the Dome as their territory.

Still think second in division.

Last edited by browna; 10-08-2021 at 08:37 PM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote