Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2021, 10:27 AM   #121
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

His 2-way contract means he'll earn $275k.

This is probably the simplest/safest course for the BJ's...no sense in dragging proceedings out and inviting the continued rage of the idiots (even if they aren't fans/customers). Imagine a protest at their arena making paying fans feel unsafe.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #122
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
In the US, people still have rights. My company has a vaccine requirement but if you don’t, they let you work at home. I guess they don’t want to deal with legal issues by firing people
We're just gonna fire people here
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #123
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the US, people still have rights. My company has a vaccine requirement but if you don’t, they let you work at home. I guess they don’t want to deal with legal issues by firing people
In most US states you can be fired without any reason given at all, with no severance, and with no consequences to the employer.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #124
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
In most US states you can be fired without any reason given at all, with no severance, and with no consequences to the employer.
Yes it’s called at will but nobody does it. At least not any major companies. They don’t want a bad reputation or messy lawsuit.. they can still be sued for discrimination
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #125
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Yes it’s called at will but nobody does it. At least not any major companies. They don’t want a bad reputation or messy lawsuit.. they can still be sued for discrimination
You can’t be sued for discrimination over vaccination requirements. It’s not in the human rights legislation.

And yes, lots of employers in at will states do just that. Because they don’t have to deal with legal issues. Because it’s an at will state.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 11:24 AM   #126
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny seeing the evolution of this thread. Starts out wishing him well with his new ventures. Then an immediate sharp drop off the cliff as soon as his situation comes out.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:32 PM   #127
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You can’t be sued for discrimination over vaccination requirements. It’s not in the human rights legislation.

And yes, lots of employers in at will states do just that. Because they don’t have to deal with legal issues. Because it’s an at will state.
You can sue for anything, they may not win but they can try

Many companies try to avoid it for bad press

No, I live in an at will state and work with HR in many cases, companies do not fire people just because they can
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #128
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can sue for anything, they may not win but they can try

Many companies try to avoid it for bad press

No, I live in an at will state and work with HR in many cases, companies do not fire people just because they can
Your experience is not representative. And has nothing to do with vaccine mandates and “avoiding bad press”. You’ve completely lost your narrative.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #129
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going on a hunch here, but I will bet that the BJs spoke with the PA about this and got some advice. I think if they terminated the contract, the PA would have to step-in, and end up having to fight for Rinaldo's interests. This is probably their best way of handling the situation. The NHL has guaranteed contracts, so I would assume that it falls out of the realm of 'at will employment'?

However, didn't the PA file a grievance years ago against another team who told their player to just stay home, as they were intent on buying him out and didn't want him injured at the time? I am drawing a blank here now. Maybe not the same circumstances, as they are allowing Rinaldo to find different opportunities to continue his career.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:03 PM   #130
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Wait, I'm confused. What about anyone in the US whose company has vaccine requirements but no option to work at home, aka the majority of employees?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #131
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fro with his 2nd

Edit: Fro hates anti-vaxxers

Last edited by Canada 02; 10-02-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:02 PM   #132
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I am going on a hunch here, but I will bet that the BJs spoke with the PA about this and got some advice. I think if they terminated the contract, the PA would have to step-in, and end up having to fight for Rinaldo's interests. This is probably their best way of handling the situation. The NHL has guaranteed contracts, so I would assume that it falls out of the realm of 'at will employment'?

However, didn't the PA file a grievance years ago against another team who told their player to just stay home, as they were intent on buying him out and didn't want him injured at the time? I am drawing a blank here now. Maybe not the same circumstances, as they are allowing Rinaldo to find different opportunities to continue his career.
it's a little weird that they wouldn't discuss whether he was willing to get the vaccine when signing him
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #133
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know what I can’t wrap my head around is how a player like him can rationalize this. I mean as a tough guy (who often fights) his risk of suffering long term impact from concussions is far, far greater than the tiny risk that the Vaccines present. I mean the mental gymnastics a person would have to go through are amazing.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote