Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2021, 06:23 PM   #921
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any non citizen permanent resident who brakes the law and should be deported can point to this and say "but I didn't kill anyone".

Either change the law or follow it. if they change the law for everyone then he can stay but changing the law for one person because it's a high profile case isn't fair either.

The law is dumb but it's still the law. Maybe use this as something to change the law moving forward.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #922
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canadians sometimes are starting to think like Americans. This man made a one time mistake. He owned up to it more than most people do and showed genuine remorse. He was a hard working immigrant of which this country is built upon. Just because it affected hockey players shouldn’t mean squat. The guy isn’t a threat in any way to do anything negative and I’d argue will probably be more of a Canadian going forward than most of these bozos screaming for justice through deportation. I don’t think the families should be considered whatsoever in this, good or bad. There doesn’t need to be any further punishment going forward. How can people be so daft? This really gets on my nerves.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #923
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Here's a magazine article from Macleans I read back in August. Thought about it again today when I saw this thread bumped. It touches on the deportation aspect a tiny bit, but this article is about forgiveness. It's quite emotional and makes me wonder how I would react if I was one of the parents of the kids that were killed. I think I know the answer but until you're in that situation it might not be as easy an answer as you'd think.

Quote:
Jaskirat Sidhu remembers the first time someone forgave him for causing the deaths of 16 people and altering the lives of countless more. It was day one of his sentencing hearing in March 2019, the first time he’d come face to face with the families of the Humboldt Broncos.

Sidhu was overcome with emotion as he entered the makeshift courthouse located inside a community-centre gymnasium in Melfort. There was fear. There was sadness. “I was broken,” he says. “I’m an emotional guy who never wanted to hurt anybody, who never wanted to take the most valuable things in their life from them.”

He was trembling in his chair at one point when a Broncos family member approached and sat down next to him. He can’t remember who. She told Sidhu that she forgave him. His body froze.

“My mind went blank—it didn’t respond,” he says. “You keep asking yourself: ‘How do they have the power and energy to forgive me? How can they do this? You haven’t done anything good to them.’ ”
https://www.macleans.ca/longforms/fo...askirat-sidhu/
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #924
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

100% in support of not deporting him.

He didn't wake up that morning wanting to kill anyone. That's a terrible tragic situation that anyone could find themselves in.

He's shown nothing but remorse, put up absolutely no fight during trial, was put in a situation he should have never been allowed in by his employer/industry, had no previous record, and is zero risk to reoffend.

"Sometimes I sit and I hear the kids crying, the children crying, and I see all of the devastated pictures in my mind. And people are rushing, the firefighters, all of the first responders. Those things, they're still with me."

He'll be living with guilt for the rest of his life. No need to make it worse for not just him, but his entire family.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #925
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Any non citizen permanent resident who brakes the law and should be deported can point to this and say "but I didn't kill anyone".

Either change the law or follow it. if they change the law for everyone then he can stay but changing the law for one person because it's a high profile case isn't fair either.

The law is dumb but it's still the law. Maybe use this as something to change the law moving forward.
Poe, they are following the law. Nothing has changed in this case. Here's a paragraph from the article I linked to above. If you think he should be deported, that's up to you. I don't. But they aren't changing the law for this one man.

Quote:
He is eligible to apply for full parole in October, after serving one-third of his eight-year sentence. But where he and Tanvir will live after he is released is yet to be determined. Under federal law, offenders who are not Canadian citizens and whose jail sentences are longer than six months can be deported. Sidhu’s only avenue to remain here is through submissions to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA), where an officer will recommend whether he should be allowed to stay or if his case should go to a hearing before the Immigration and Refugee Board. “If they send him to a hearing, the deportation order is automatic,” says Sidhu’s deportation lawyer, Michael Greene. “They just have to prove he was convicted of a serious offence. There’s no doubt that this is.” Sidhu cannot appeal the order, but he could challenge the CBSA’s decision in Federal Court; if successful, his case would be sent back to another officer.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #926
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW, he has one of the best immigration lawyers out there.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #927
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Thanks for sharing that article Kootenay.

It's such a horrific situation and I just have so much sadness for all the families and Jaskirit. I understand the families that are still angry, I am overwhelmed by the families that forgive Jaskirit, I am devastated for him and his future having to live with such unimaginable guilt and pain. I don't want to see him deported, I don't see what good that would do, but I also see the perspective of the parents who don't want to ever have to run into him or see him.

I just don't know.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 08:01 PM   #928
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

To me, the deportation rule is to get rid of bad guys. Jaskirit Sidhu is not a bad guy. He's not even a good guy who did a bad thing. From all accounts, he is a good guy who made a mistake that lead to a tragedy. I fail to see how removing him from Canada makes anything better.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 05:03 PM   #929
carmenshoes
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Truck driver who killed 16 in Humboldt Broncos crash loses bid to stay in Canada

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/truck-d...nada-1.5812553
carmenshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:46 PM   #930
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Absolute failure by Canada.

That truly passes me off
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:36 PM   #931
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
To me, the deportation rule is to get rid of bad guys. Jaskirit Sidhu is not a bad guy. He's not even a good guy who did a bad thing. From all accounts, he is a good guy who made a mistake that lead to a tragedy. I fail to see how removing him from Canada makes anything better.
He is a convenient skape goat for a government that builds infrastructure that would be considered cutting edge in 1982.

Any chance we can deport Scott Moe for killing someone when he was behind the wheel?
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 10:09 PM   #932
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s an appeal process for a reason. This is just the first step in the process…
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #933
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
…….who brakes the law…..

An unintended pun no doubt……
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:24 PM   #934
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does the law state he needs to be deported, or did a judge make that decision as punishment?

Not a lawyer.

Hope this guys stays.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:31 PM   #935
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Does the law state he needs to be deported, or did a judge make that decision as punishment?

Not a lawyer.

Hope this guys stays.
The statute seems to say there's no right of appeal but I suspect that might be challenged on Charter Grounds.

https://www.lawnow.org/inadmissibili...0be%20appealed.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #936
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Not a lawyer.

Hope this guys stays.
It's the law. It is pretty much normal that if someone who is not a citizen is convicted of a serious crime, they are deported upon their release. It would have been an exception if he wasn't deported. I am not sure how "serious crime" is defined though, but 16 dead and 14 injured (some with life altering injuries), seems pretty serious.

Having said that, I don't know how often they make exceptions and if there was a realistic expectation that they would get one in this case.

Personally, I don't have any strong feelings one way or another. He seems remorseful and I doubt he is a danger in the future, but also not committing a serious crime isn't a high bar to set for being able to reside in Canada. Whether or not some of the families forgive him shouldn't even factor in IMO.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:21 AM   #937
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

His crime was failing to stop at a stop sign. In retrospect it might have not been wise to have pled guilty, he may have been convicted of a lesser offence.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #938
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
His crime was failing to stop at a stop sign. In retrospect it might have not been wise to have pled guilty, he may have been convicted of a lesser offence.
His crime was falsifying log books and driving more hours than allowed.

He was an impaired driver who blew a stop sign.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2022, 09:05 AM   #939
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
His crime was falsifying log books and driving more hours than allowed.

He was an impaired driver who blew a stop sign.
Exactly, people wouldn't have the same sympathy if he had been drinking.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2022, 10:41 AM   #940
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think he should stay.

He seems like the kind of person that would do everything in his power to make our society better. Given his tragic situation, infamy and open remorse he would be in a unique position to do something formidable. Make lemonade kind of thing.

I'm thinking speaking engagements with proceeds going to charity. He's already living in hell with this on his conscience every hour of every day, talking about it might help him cope and reduce the chances of something like this happening again.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote