Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2021, 12:13 PM   #541
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Was there not a gif party? Wtf is wrong with y'all

I usually don't gif for the preseason. I save the goods for the reg and post seasons
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #542
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Some people are definitely getting carried away, but this is the most consistently best performance that I have ever seen from Kylington. And it's not like he is a rookie fresh out if Juniour, or making the jump straight from the AHL: I think the fact that he has already played a tonne of NHL games, and has noticeably improved what was his most glaring shortcoming (good decision making with the puck at speed) is a significant development.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I was just looking at picking him up for my hockey pool that has development slots… and was shocked that he’s played 95 nhl games!!!!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #543
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Always been a Kylington fan. I hope he rams everyone’s negative comments down their throats.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #544
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Always been a Kylington fan. I hope he rams everyone’s negative comments down their throats.
Who is being negative?
Old 10-02-2021, 12:34 PM   #545
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Every Flames fan, I am sure is hoping a prospect can have a great camp and force a decision
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #546
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not a huge Kylington fan but I'd love if he proved me wrong. The team needs more of what he offers but he has to continue to prove he's an effective player at the NHL level.

To echo a few other "detractors" comments about Kylington this is the best he's ever shown in the preseason and I'm glad he's making the most of his opportunities and ideally forces his way on to the roster over guys like Gudbranson or Stone.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:41 PM   #547
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Zadorov is a good player...please stop lumping him in with Gudbranson since they are both big. ...
I am not sure I agree with your assessment.

Zadorov is a BIG player. Like really, really big. You realize it when you see him up close. Myers is taller, but he is lanky. Zadorov is both tall and wide. We were in the front row yesterday. Saw him putting his big ass against the boards and just annihilating Garland (pretty sure it was Garland) without putting much effort into hitting. Literally, just stuck his back against the board and stopped Garland cold, sent him flying, that was it. We have not had a defender capable of doing this since Regehr and that's very good to have.

Having said that, Zadorov seems slow; you see it right away. Not only he is slow, he seems to be a bit lazy - as in not rushing in to take a position, but gliding slowly to it. His on-ice positioning and pass-taking are not top-notch. Missed several easy passes, made several really sloppy passes. This stuff is concerning; but hopefully, Sutter will be able to straighten him out.

Lastly, while Zadorov could be a Pronger-like beast, he is not using his size to intimidate the opponent. Twice yesterday, he was challenged by a smaller player and both times he did not take his hands off the stick, not even chirping, just looking away. I mean, we all remember Lucic punching his face three times like a bag without a single response. Smart is one thing and it's good. Not standing up for yourself and your teammates is not very good, especially, when you have the natural physical attributes to do so.

Again, I like having Zadorov on the team and I hope he improves under Sutter. Russian players are very coachable usually.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #548
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't envy Sutter right now. I can't come up with 3 working pairs of defencemen that I like.

Hanifin - Tanev: Great pairing obviously, but it leaves the other pairings weak IMO.

Kylington - Tanev: It has looked good (and I like Kylington and want him to succeed), but is the expectation that he goes from a 6th/7th defencemen right up to the top pairing (Tanev is this team's best defensive defencemen, and you have to use him against the top lines IMO)? Right into the fire? I don't know.

Zadorov - Andersson - I don't like this as a 2nd pair - they are both not agile enough and are questionable defensively IMO. Seems like a 2nd pair that will give you fits too often.

There is a lot of depth on D, which is a bonus (and if the Flames are in it, I expect Treliving not to spend draft picks on acquiring more depth defencemen unless there are a couple of injuries this season back there). I just have a more and more difficult time in making out 3 good pairs. I can't wait to see what Sutter ends up with for the opening night roster. I am sure there will be people who both praise it and detest it.

Gudbranson is in. Kylington has done nothing but earn a spot so far too. There is no way that Valimaki is going to be out.

One thing is great to see for sure - Kylington is making things more difficult for Sutter I think, but also Zadorov has been making it more difficult for the wrong reasons (defensive lapses, horrible puck-moving).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #549
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki/Kyl - Tanev
Kylington/Val - Zadorov
Gudbranson/Stone
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #550
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I am not sure I agree with your assessment.

Zadorov is a BIG player. Like really, really big. You realize it when you see him up close. Myers is taller, but he is lanky. Zadorov is both tall and wide. We were in the front row yesterday. Saw him putting his big ass against the boards and just annihilating Garland (pretty sure it was Garland) without putting much effort into hitting. Literally, just stuck his back against the board and stopped Garland cold, sent him flying, that was it. We have not had a defender capable of doing this since Regehr and that's very good to have.

Having said that, Zadorov seems slow; you see it right away. Not only he is slow, he seems to be a bit lazy - as in not rushing in to take a position, but gliding slowly to it. His on-ice positioning and pass-taking are not top-notch. Missed several easy passes, made several really sloppy passes. This stuff is concerning; but hopefully, Sutter will be able to straighten him out.

Lastly, while Zadorov could be a Pronger-like beast, he is not using his size to intimidate the opponent. Twice yesterday, he was challenged by a smaller player and both times he did not take his hands off the stick, not even chirping, just looking away. I mean, we all remember Lucic punching his face three times like a bag without a single response. Smart is one thing and it's good. Not standing up for yourself and your teammates is not very good, especially, when you have the natural physical attributes to do so.

Again, I like having Zadorov on the team and I hope he improves under Sutter. Russian players are very coachable usually.
Zadorov isn't going all out in the 4th of 8 preseason games...look at his charts, he is a good defender at the NHL level. I bet if he was a draft pick and not a BT trade CP would like him a lot more.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #551
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Zadorov isn't going all out in the 4th of 8 preseason games...look at his charts, he is a good defender at the NHL level. I bet if he was a draft pick and not a BT trade CP would like him a lot more.

Zadorov is a decent 5-6 dman with no offensive ability.

But he’s expected to play a 3-4 role.

It’s up to Sutter to make it work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #552
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
He has been waived several times, I doubt he is claimed

Kylington is to inconsistent, its his defensive side of the game that is the concern.

My guess he is waived, clears and starts the season at the AHL level
Kylington has only cleared waivers once and that was at the start of last season when every team has similar players on waivers. Prior to last season, he was waiver exempt. Last season, even though he moved between the taxi squad and the main roster many times, he didn't spend enough time on the NHL roster or play in enough games to require waivers a second time.

With the Hamonic situation, I think it's quite likely the Canucks will claim a defenceman off waivers to start the season. I don't know what other teams may have available, but given Kylington had two solid games against the Canucks this week, I wouldn't bet against him being claimed if he's put on waivers.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #553
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Zadorov isn't going all out in the 4th of 8 preseason games.....
Why? Markstrom was going all out. Gaudreau was. Tanev was. What makes Zadorov so special? He's on a one-year "prove yourself" contract. He better be going all-out. And I think he was. it's just that his "all-out" has lots of holes and limitations.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #554
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Why? Markstrom was going all out. Gaudreau was. Tanev was.
No. They were not.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:37 PM   #555
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why? Markstrom was going all out. Gaudreau was. Tanev was. What makes Zadorov so special? He's on a one-year "prove yourself" contract. He better be going all-out. And I think he was. it's just that his "all-out" has lots of holes and limitations.
No they weren't. Unless you want to say they were going pre-season all out.

There is pre-season 100%
Then there is regular season 100%
Then there is playoff-drive 100%
Then there is playoffs 100%

I don't care how motivated you are, and how much you want to give your best every single night - your top gear in the pre-season is not the same as your top gear when it matters.

(unless you're just trying to crack the lineup, then the pre-season IS playoffs for you)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:38 PM   #556
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A. I don’t think Johnny was going all out. He was good, but he’s got lots more than that. And goalies are a different kind of effort level.

B. Neither Markstrom nor Johnny play a hitting game, which I think is what he’s getting at. You don’t want to injure someone or be injured on an unnecessary preseason hit.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:49 PM   #557
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe. Let's hope he has a lot more to give.