Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #201
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

At viewing I felt a little underwhelmed given the build-up and consistency of the first 5 episodes, but after stewing on it for a couple days and learning more about the Kang character through some light research I'm pretty damn satisfied. That's a pretty big set piece now in place for the current phase.

This should be fun.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:36 PM   #202
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I find it telling how little people are talking about Loki. He is the main character, at least in theory. If I knew going in what I know now I'd say 50/50 chance of watching.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 07-16-2021, 01:02 PM   #203
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It fell flat for me at the end. The build up throughout the season was fun but the finale kind of killed it. It was fine but I honestly felt like.it was just there. Middle of the road.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:37 PM   #204
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Y'all are crazy. That last episode was great, and it set up such great anticipation for the next season. I was so blown away by the ideas and performances that I was unable to get to sleep after I watched it. The possibilities and big ideas put forward kept me very intrigued.

Who wants to watch something all wrapped up in a neat little bow? Endless possibilities for stories are FAR more interesting to me. I don't want closure, I want a new adventure, something unexpected. This show delivered that to me.

Plus, I have a secret love affair with Richard E. Grant going all the way back to Withnail and I. I've never been bored watching him on screen. Case in point:

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 05:48 PM   #205
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

That was great in my books. I think these Marvel story lines are far better suited for big budget tv series’ like this rather than movies.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #206
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

That ending was something. Was expecting a big conclusion and instead there was a bunch of exposition and a cliff hanger. Don’t think they teach writers to introduce characters with huge backstories in the final.

Left me interested in the set up for Kang and the multiverse though. Alternatively my wife was starting to get overwhelmed by all the timeline stuff and I’m not sure she’s going to like where this next phase is going.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:25 PM   #207
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems in this thread those that liked the finale the most know who Kang is from the comics, and are referring to the character by that name.

In the TV show itself, he was just a guy who told a long story and was called He Who Remains.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 07-16-2021, 11:46 PM   #208
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just finished the finale. At first I was very underwhelmed, thinking "That's it?", but after going through the reddit threads and thinking back on it I'm excited about all the possibilities this opens. The multiverse is wide open now, Marvel can finally bring in all the pre-MCU movies and play around with them as they see fit. Alfred Molina is already confirmed for Spider-Man No Way Home, and I don't think it'd be a stretch to see cameos from Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield. They could also finally undo the mess that is the Hulk movies and finally give Ruffalo a solo film (Planet Hulk would be awesome)

I really hope Marvel lets the writers go wild for this next phase, it would be really fun to watch
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:51 AM   #209
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It seems in this thread those that liked the finale the most know who Kang is from the comics, and are referring to the character by that name.

In the TV show itself, he was just a guy who told a long story and was called He Who Remains.
I had no idea who he was or is, nor do I care. I took it at face value, and when he explained his situation I was fascinated. Although, I am a big Dr. Who fan and this felt more like that than a Marvel story, so perhaps that's why I liked it so much. That show never ends and often has very convoluted timey wimey stories with lots of exposition, very little action, and even less resolution.

If you go back in the thread, I did say the first episode felt like a Dr. Who episode wandered into the Marvel universe.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2021, 05:00 PM   #210
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Loki was certainly the most satisfying Marvel show this year. The choices it presented Loki allowed him to grow and mature to become one of the most complex multi-faceted characters Marvel's developed in the MCU so far

The finale felt a bit anticlimactic--or confusing, maybe? It was a very clever way to bring a new big villain into the MCU - and now anything can happen
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #211
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Y'all are crazy. That last episode was great, and it set up such great anticipation for the next season. I was so blown away by the ideas and performances that I was unable to get to sleep after I watched it. The possibilities and big ideas put forward kept me very intrigued.

Who wants to watch something all wrapped up in a neat little bow? Endless possibilities for stories are FAR more interesting to me. I don't want closure, I want a new adventure, something unexpected. This show delivered that to me.

Plus, I have a secret love affair with Richard E. Grant going all the way back to Withnail and I. I've never been bored watching him on screen.
I couldn't agree more, Loki was absolutely amazing! This was the best Marvel Disney+ show yet, truly fantastic!
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:24 AM   #212
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
All this talk about Kang....wheres the love for Kodos?

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:39 PM   #213
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marvel Assembled episode for Loki dropped today. Hour long documentary with deleted scenes and commentary about the production.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:07 AM   #214
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally watched this series and thought it was outstanding. Especially the music. Apparently the composer once threw a bunch of eggs at Simon Cowell during a reality show taping so I like her even more.

I don't really know what happened at the end. Was Loki sent back to a different TVA (i.e., does the TVA now have split branches, too? Are there a bunch of TVAs that are slightly different?) or did Kang (that is, the evil variant of him, or one such variant that has now been retroactively made dominant by SylvieLoki killing the "sort of good" one) already take over by re-aligning the timeline according to his preferences? I guess we'll see.

Both main Lokis were interesting characters. Mobius is sort of interesting. The two apparent go-forward villains are at least intriguing. I thought this was probably a better TV show than Wandavision (which I thought got a lot less interesting as soon as Harkness was revealed). Maybe this will too, because it didn't really get the chance to do anything after the big reveal, but so far I liked this better.

I do agree with the sentiment that if this is the way the whole MCU is going, it's going to be very difficult to do it well.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:10 AM   #215
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Finally watched this series and thought it was outstanding. Especially the music. Apparently the composer once threw a bunch of eggs at Simon Cowell during a reality show taping so I like her even more.

I don't really know what happened at the end. Was Loki sent back to a different TVA (i.e., does the TVA now have split branches, too? Are there a bunch of TVAs that are slightly different?) or did Kang (that is, the evil variant of him, or one such variant that has now been retroactively made dominant by SylvieLoki killing the "sort of good" one) already take over by re-aligning the timeline according to his preferences? I guess we'll see.

Both main Lokis were interesting characters. Mobius is sort of interesting. The two apparent go-forward villains are at least intriguing. I thought this was probably a better TV show than Wandavision (which I thought got a lot less interesting as soon as Harkness was revealed). Maybe this will too, because it didn't really get the chance to do anything after the big reveal, but so far I liked this better.

I do agree with the sentiment that if this is the way the whole MCU is going, it's going to be very difficult to do it well.
I believe it's this. Now (presumably) Kang the Conqueror is in charge, and, has always been.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #216
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm also late to the party on Loki and it's my favourite MCU series after What If? It did seem to do more world building than story-telling, but I love world building.

Classic Loki complete with 1970s appropriate special FX was a series highlight for me and he doesn't get enough love.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:39 PM   #217
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I'm also late to the party on Loki and it's my favourite MCU series after What If? It did seem to do more world building than story-telling, but I love world building.

Classic Loki complete with 1970s appropriate special FX was a series highlight for me and he doesn't get enough love.
Really? What if was your favorite over Loki?

I thought it was pretty universal wandavision / Loki good. Falcon / what if bad. Hawkeye good show/bad ending.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:34 PM   #218
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I believe it's this. Now (presumably) Kang the Conqueror is in charge, and, has always been.
Yup. Basically the same ending as Tim Burton’s awful planet of the apes remake.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 06:13 AM   #219
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump!

Pretty intense and fun first episode of Season Two. Glad the cliffhanger from last season turned out the way it did.
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 04:46 PM   #220
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was okay. Mostly resolved the last season cliff hanger while setting up this season but like half the episode was just Hiddleston running around in front of a green screen looking confused. Did enjoy the addition of Ke Huy Quan.

I'm also starting to feel like Peter B Parker in Across the Spider-verse where my eyes glaze over anytime someone mentions the fate of the multiverse.