Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Cool and or funny or awkward list of Wrestling

So I've covered off the usual fare in terms of wrestling, best themes returns debuts excetera. So I thought I would cover the cool moments in my mind the unexplained the just plain zany. These are the moments that the unexpected happened, and made for amazing TV.

1) The ECW Chair incident - Hardcore Heaven 1994

ECW fans have always been a bit more then crazy, and at the same time the wrestlers encouraged it. Often wrestlers would grab objects from the fans to use for a match and we saw some incredibly zany moments where wrestlers hit each other with crutches, cast iron frying pans and artificial limbs. So its no surprise that during Hardcore Heaven things spiraled out of control and created one of the best visual moments in wrestling history. During a match between Cactus Jack and Terry Funk, these two had a lot of iconic moments including the fireball incident. But on this night, as Funk and Jack fought, the tag team of Public Enemy interfered and Jack and Funk united to fight back and then called for a chair from the audience. What happened next was incredibly dangerous but visually awesome.

2) Terry Funk and the Horse feud that could have been

We know that WCW was always plagued by terrible booking decisions, killed angles and feuds that made no sense. During a Thunder Episode in 2000, Funk was in a heated fued with the late great Chris Candido. The match ended up being the typical hardcore brawl, and somehow ended up with Funk driving Candido to a stable for reasons. The brawl up the ante as they brawled throughout the stable. Eventually Funk corners Candido in a stall and pile drives him in a pile of manure, then we get the greatest heel turn in history as the horse throws a kick at Terry Funk, who turns around and exclaims "You f%%%%%% Horse, I'll kick your F%%%%%% A%%. Of course Standards and practices bleep this out

While the ending of the match was forgettable with Funk beating Candido, WCW once again missed a golden opportunity which was a Funk vs the Horse feud leading to a loser rides the winner stipulation. Shame WCW shame

3) Chris Jericho - Man of 1004 moves

Jericho gets a lot of love for me, mainly because he's brilliant and responsible for some utterly hilarious wrestling moments that come from nowhere, and I believe he's going to get another spot on this list.

However this moment gained a lot of infamy. At the time Chris was in a feud with Dean Malenko who had proclaimed himself the Man with 1000 moves. Now normally this would be a forgettable mid card feud that nobody in the WCW office would care about. Malenko was an excellent worker with no charisma, and Jericho was a member of the Vanilla midget club dubbed by Kevin Nash, in that he proclaimed that nobody would pay money to see undersized young wrestlers that could work. Instead Nash believed that people would spend a lot of money on over the hill wrestlers who put on terrible matches and half the time couldn't give a crap as long as their checks cleared.

Jericho found a way to elevate it, with his heel turn he had become a smarmy whiny heel that just seemed to want attention. So with that in mind Jericho declared himself the man of 1004 moves. Then to really push that forward, he took to the ring with a massive computer print out and proceeded to read every single move. However if you paid attention, most of the moves were not moves as Jericho listed ludicrous word salads, listing the Moss Covered Three Family Credenza, he also used the Arm Bar about 40 times. What really made this work as well as once Jericho started the fans boo'd him, but WCW went to commercial and Jericho stopped reading the list and spent two minutes running down the audience so when the show returned he smoothly slid back into his list and had gained a incredible amount of audience heat.

https://www.wwe.com/videos/chris-jer...-march-30-1998

4) Double induction, Mr Socko and the Bedpan

Quite possibly one of my favorite Raw moments of all time. We got so much in one segment that it was nearly impossible to keep up. On the Oct 5th 1998 Raw during the height of the Monday Night Wars we saw a lot. We got a story line where Vince McMahon is sent to the hospital with a broken ankle. Mick Foley at that time was firmly aligned with his fake dad Vince and showed up to cheer him up. Mick tried everything including bringing in some naughty entertainment in Yurple the Clown, offering Vince a sip of his cola, then introducing Mr Socko to kiss Vince's ankle better. I do want to add that Vince was brilliant through this and probably unkowingly put Mick over in a unintended way where Mick would pull a limp white object out of his pants on a nightly basis (His words not mine). The segment ended with Vince disgustingly growling Mr Socko.

The next segment had Stone Cold show up and beat the crap out of Vince while dressed as a doctor. This included the hilariously well done shot to the head with a bed pan and ended with Vince getting a enema from Doctor Austin.

5) Stone Cold goes shopping.

Sometimes I think that Booker T gets forgotten, however he was a brilliant performer and his King Booker character was hilarious. But the high light of his career has to be the grocery store brawl with Stone Cold. You see all Booker wanted was some cereal, but that didn't last long as Stone Cold attacked him assaulted him with everything he could find, threw him through a freezer door, dumped milk on him put him on the checkout table and asked for a "Price check on the jacka$$"

6) Santino Marelli vs John Chayna.

Santino was brilliant at being a goofy comedy heel, but he was no better then this promo against John Cena one of the best promo artists in the business and Santino not only held his own, but hilariously had Cena dying inside as he tried to keep his composure.

7) Andy Kaufman vs Jerry Lawler

Not as much hilarious as brilliant and disturbing Andy Kaufman was way out there as a comedian, and treated his comedy like an artform. He decided that wrestling was going to be his next stage and embarked on a lot of intergender wrestling matches and basically built himself up as a heel, but he needed a baby face and Jerry Lawler jumped in. Lawler at this time was a hugely popular wrestler and they set up a confrontation on Letterman. For a long time fans declared this confrontation as a shoot, it was only after Kaufman died that Lawler lifted the curtains.

8) The Rock, this is your life.

This was a segment that went way over time, and was basically Mankind pitching and the Rock hitting things out of the park. One of the greatest segments in Raw history.

9) Jericho gets lost

I wish I could find this because it was so brilliant. But Chris Jericho while in WCW bought his comedy to a new height as he did a spinal tap and got lost on the way to the ring. But this skit showed how spontaneously bad WCW was as Jericho takes a turn and ends up locked out of the building. The hilarity was that Jericho reaches out to reef on the door to get back in and the door opens and Jericho promptly slams the door shut, meanwhile another door opens and a head pops out and Jericho has to pretend that it didn't happen. He basically took a spinal tap skit and made it 10,000 times better by accident.

10) The heat generating ability of Kevin Owens and Elias.

So brilliant that he and Elias came down and bought the house down and created an incredible amount of heat with the audience.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 04-28-2020 at 12:11 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mae Young has a love affair with Mark Henry and gives birth to...a hand.

Sting is locked in a cage at WCW's Capital Combat and here comes Robocop to the rescue!

For weeks the WWF teased audiences with a massive egg in the ring. Finally, the strange Gobbledy ####er emerged, and wrestling entered a new phase of ridiculous.

EDIT: Never even realized that word would be censored, but good call.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Mae Young has a love affair with Mark Henry and gives birth to...a hand.

and the payoff, many years later:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

BOOKDUST! You'd think this wouldn't have worked, but it was one of the funniest pairings ever:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Robocop sting partnering was awful and awkward. But a lot of people forget the Rick Steiner Chucky cross over.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote