Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default SSD In an old system.

I was recently home and had the pleasure of using my dads computer. After about 5 mins of use I wanted to launch it out the window.

I made mention of this to him and he said that yes it was probably time for an upgrade. So I asked just what he used the computer for, his answer was email, internet and so on. I told him that for 100 bucks I could make that thing feel brand new.

Its an older "off the rack" HP. Athlon 64 4400+, 4 (maybe 6) GB RAM etc...

My guess is the mobo doesn't support AHCI.

Is there any roadblocks to slapping the 128GB Crucial M4 that Memex has on for 75$ in that old system?

It seems that info on SSDs is changing all the time and I haven't really kept up with it.

Thanks
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually tried the same thing with an old laptop running Vista. Probably built around 2005 and a tried chucking an SSD in there and it worked. A few hickups at first for what ever reason but has been rock solid ever since. Didn't require any special drivers or anything.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Did that with my dad's old Dell, worked great. Booted up in a couple of minutes instead of 10 minutes.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

So are you reinstalling everything when you change to an SSD, or is there a way to easily transfer the OS?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I did the same recently too. I'm hoping the drive's built-in garbage collection will handle the lack of trim support in xp...
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
So are you reinstalling everything when you change to an SSD, or is there a way to easily transfer the OS?
When I did it I used Gparted Live to migrate to a SSD after struggling with several other utilities. If you can deal with the reinstalls of your old programs I highly recommend a fresh install. One think that you will need is your Windows DVD or a Windows system disk that you can make in Windows to build a new bootloader on the cloned disk.(Make sure the old hard drives are disconnected at this point).
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote