Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default In Por Ylem 2.0

If you understand what the words in this thread tittle mean then this thread is for you!

http://www.inporylem.com/

If you missed the original here is a run down, basically an old school UOer put up a player run classic shard that was as close to Pre UO:R (pre cast days) as the game could get. It was flooded with thousands of players and for over a year it was the most fun I have had in any video game since those original UO days..

Well it is back. Az is bringing back IPY with some new twists and tricks and a whole new staff/player base. It will definitely be worth checking out. If you played UO at any stage, or are just a fan of MMO's in general you should be following this game. It is currently in stage one beta getting some bugs worked out, but Az actively reads the forums and if you get in now you can help shape the server the way you want it.

Feel free to use this as a UO nostalgic thread.. I already know one former Sonoma player on this board, any others?

Day three of guildwars..

FOA quest chain..
Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll be checking this out. UO was best when it was HARD. When going out in the woods as a low level newbie to chop woods was truly dangerous. When dying meant an hour walk back to your corpse, which was long since looted. When night was so dark, you had to have a torch.

I wasn't very good at it - I lived a meager existence in game, sort of like a mid-low class Britannian, but man was it fun.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
In Por Ylem
Gesundheit.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played UO for a few days but got disheartened when the instruction manual said I should start by chopping down trees and make bows for hours on end. Then after playing EQ, EQ2, and in the alpha/beta of WOW, I realized that tradeskills really were an important part of MMOs, but UO had been my first fully featured MMO so I didn't really understand how things worked.

I just realized I spent a good portion of 10 years of my life dedicated to MMORPGs.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I remember killing deer for hides and tailoring leather armor to sell.. then I realized that if my skill was greater than the next guy I could just kill him for his loot.

Player killin was born!

Richard Garriot himself said he had no idea UO would turn out the way it did, the rise of Dread Lord Empires and the Great Lords to fight them..

UO is the only true Sandbox MMO the world will ever see.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Man, I'm so glad I lost my old comp, or I'd feel super sad looking at all the screenshots I've taken for UO over the years. Me and my buddies had TONS.

Absolutely amazing game.

UO was great because it didn't come with an instruction manual and pretty much everything was trial by fire. Turned a lot of people off the game, but I think the developers made a massive mistake taking it in the direction they did. The real problem was the *horrid* dev team, which took 6 months to 2 years to make bug fixes a reality - contrast this with WoW, which has updates of major bugs within a few weeks.

I was a miner. Probably spent a year + mining and selling the ingots for gold, eventually working up my hiding to about ~60, so I could get away in a couple of tough situations. I used to hang @ the North Brit mines (PK haven), which made everyday an adventure.

UO I think had the perfect risk vs. reward model I've seen in any game that has been developed. It isn't like linage, where you die and it takes 72+ hours of grinding to get your character back or wow/other games where you die and lose nothing.

It was tough, but not completely crazy. Which was the perfect balance for many semi-casual players.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

For anyone interested, IPY 2.0 launches this Friday, January 21st.

Check out the forums/blog for more info..

www.azaroth.org

http://inporylem.com/forum/forum.php