Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #2361
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tanev, juolevi, virtanen and a first rounder?

I think Vancouver has got enough prospect assets to make tge move
Old 08-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #2362
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

That looks like a pile of crap to me. I hope Ottawa doesn't bite on that. They have to get at least one of Van's blue chippers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #2363
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Canucks going after Karlsson makes no sense to me when you consider where the team is and what it would cost to get him. Plus why would he want to go there? I dont see the fit. Edmonton makes more sense to me. Winnipeg does. Toronto does. I dont think I'd want him as a Flame even. Maybe if it cost our 1st, Brodie, and like Bennett but even then Id be hesitant mainly because either UFA or massive pay day.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #2364
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is Ottawa's other option? Have a crappy season with Karlsson and then lose him for nothing, plus don't get to draft in the first round? Not sure they can be too choosy here.
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #2365
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
What is Ottawa's other option? Have a crappy season with Karlsson and then lose him for nothing, plus don't get to draft in the first round? Not sure they can be too choosy here.
Ottawa has pretty close to 30 options. EK for a year, somebody is going to pay. Just hope it's not the flames paying. Pretty sure we won't be.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #2366
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
If that's the case we will send them Stone, Bennett and a first
Old 08-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #2367
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Canucks host the draft this season. I highly doubt they're moving their first round pick.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #2368
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hamonic + Bennett + Gillies + Mangiapane!

Lol
Old 08-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #2369
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
My concern if Karlsson comes in, is that with so many new prominent faces (Lindholm, Neal, Karlsson, Hanifin, Ryan) and a new coach, it can be a chemistry issue to start the season.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Vegas and Florida a few years back had no problem with lots of new faces all at once. I think the key is that you have to be bringing in high character guys which I think we have. If Treliving can find a way to land Karlsson that would instantly turn us into a serious contender. Not sure how the cap would work but if you can land one of if not the best defenceman in the league you make the numbers work.

Edit: Can you imagine a Gio - Karlsson first pairing? ridiculous.

Last edited by Jacks; 08-22-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #2370
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Vegas and Florida a few years back had no problem with lots of new faces all at once. I think the key is that you have to be bringing in high character guys which I think we have. If Treliving can find a way to land Karlsson that would instantly turn us into a serious contender. Not sure how the cap would work but if you can land one of if not the best defenceman in the league you make the numbers work.

Edit: Can you imagine a Gio - Karlsson first pairing? ridiculous.
Who are you giving up, worth about 5 mil per year in order to accommodate EK salary for 1 year? The cap we have is mainly earmarked for Hanifan. If it costs you Backland for 6 years for one year of EK, would you do it? Because there isn't a snowballs chance in hell you could resign him without giving up another big piece up front. 2 years of Erik Karlsson costs you 2 significant pieces up front, probably a few of picks and prospects as well for the trade. I just don't think it's worth it.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #2371
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

Too many questions around Huolevi, Virtanen is hot garbage. Ottawa would want one of their young studs as well as the first round pick non lottery protected.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 08-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #2372
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Who are you giving up, worth about 5 mil per year in order to accommodate EK salary for 1 year? The cap we have is mainly earmarked for Hanifan. If it costs you Backland for 6 years for one year of EK, would you do it? Because there isn't a snowballs chance in hell you could resign him without giving up another big piece up front. 2 years of Erik Karlsson costs you 2 significant pieces up front, probably a few of picks and prospects as well for the trade. I just don't think it's worth it.
If Hanifin is actually asking for too much money, maybe you flip him with a 1st rounder next year for Karlsson??
Old 08-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #2373
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
If Hanifin is actually asking for too much money, maybe you flip him with a 1st rounder next year for Karlsson??

Nope
Old 08-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #2374
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Depends on wether they think they can actually push for a cup this year. Because next year, whos the next player your going to chop, knowing that you have to find around another 5-6 for Karlsson, and another 5-6 for Tkachuk? And again, we are talking about significant salary, so one of your top 4 forwards, or top 3 D.

It's a slippery slope, and it's all predicated on your actual ability to extend EK. I just don't think that anything Brad has done this off-season to lockup a core for 4 years survives aquiring Karlsson, and they should be trying to maximize the window duration, not trying to fling the window wide open and get through before it falls on you.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #2375
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

You know Karlsson is going to be a 10 million dollar blueliner right?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #2376
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Hanifin is asking for too much money, then Karlsson is definitely out of the budget.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #2377
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
The Canucks host the draft this season. I highly doubt they're moving their first round pick.

Why? Getting Karlsson would be equally if not more exciting than their 1st pick... I also find it pretty unlikely that the fact that they are hosting the draft would have any bearing on the decisions they make that day.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #2378
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Iain MacIntyre
@imacSportsnet
2h
My sense of Karlsson situation is that any #Canucks interest is likely due-diligence. Team categorically against trading Quinn, Pettersson, Boeser etc. Hard to see trade fit w Ottawa
Dont really see it

I do think return will be lower than expected, i also think ottawa is going to want nhl players, not picks or prospects

Their goal this year is basically for that draft pick the avs have to not be top 5

They are in a horrible situation with their 3 best players all being UFAs in a year, and all likely to leave
Old 08-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #2379
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way you trade for Karlsson is if you can extend him obviously. It's not likely to happen anyway but if you can land him (at a reasonable cost) you get it done. If you have to shed salary to extend him you trade away players like Stone or Frolik plus some salary would have to go the other way regardless.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #2380
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

lol at the Hughes/Boeser in proposals, the core players will not be touched in any deal for an unextended Karlsson. Benning has said this over and over again.

It's going to be from the 2nd tier prospects that Ottawa will be shopping in.

Kole Lind, Lukas Jasek, Petrus Palmu, Olli Juolevi, Jake Virtanen, DiPietro and to lesser extents Jack Rathbone and Will Lockwood.
Closed Thread