Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Blizzcon 2017

Lets start a thread for all of todays events. We know there will be no D3 news at all as its pretty much put out to pasture but my big guess today is.

HotS: The Mobile Game

What do you think?

Lets update as it goes, looking for a stream to watch it on so post here if you have one.

Opening Ceremonies

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhLvS5GTK3E

Twitch https://go.twitch.tv/blizzard

Last edited by Raekwon; 11-03-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Schedule is here: https://blizzcon.com/en-us/schedule#fri-nov-3

I expect them to announce a new WoW expansion and a new Hearthstone expansion at the Opening Ceremonies. Nothing earth shattering for predictions, I know!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

pretty unreal, some of the biggest news in gaming history
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, look...TWO new continents this time. That we've never seen before, or flown over or anything like that. But there they are...

Still, 6 new playable races, 4 of which we've seen before. Makes me wonder what the other 2 are. And how/where I'm going to get more room to have even more types of characters. I wonder if they'll up the toons-per-server limit.

Though, the cinematic trailer is looking AMAZING, as ever:

Honestly, I am excited for this. I like WoW, and I like it moving forward. Though I do think that the 'Whoa, new continent!" thing is a tad tired.

Also, not surprised that this xpack went this way. We've beat back the Legion, time for more infighting.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
Nandric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Was there any definition on what classic stands for, as I’ve seen people mention vanilla & classic?

Between bc and northrend was the biggest change for me, so I’d put that as the end of classic, but vanilla is vanilla.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandric View Post
Was there any definition on what classic stands for, as I’ve seen people mention vanilla & classic?

Between bc and northrend was the biggest change for me, so I’d put that as the end of classic, but vanilla is vanilla.
Seems like very little has been revealed. For me, I'd want the purest vanilla experience possible. Original models, no cross-realm nonsense, no transmog, progressive patches/raids, honor system, etc.

Last edited by Ashasx; 11-03-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
For me, I'd want the purest vanilla experience possible. Original models, no cross-realm nonsense, no transmog, progressive patches/raids, honor system, etc.
A 214,748 gold cap. I had enough spread out over multiple toons back then to have a million I recall.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that's right. People don't even have that much gold on private servers where we know the perfect golf farming methods. Maybe you are thinking about Burning Crusade, but people were really bad in Vanilla when it came to gold farming. You could control an entire server's economy with that much gold.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
Nandric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Seems like very little has been revealed. For me, I'd want the purest vanilla experience possible. Original models, no cross-realm nonsense, no transmog, progressive patches/raids, honor system, etc.
I started late in Vanilla so BC was the best pve/pvp balanced era of wow for me. I think if they limit it to several servers it will be successful as you might get med-high pop. servers instead of a bunch of low pop. which would enable progression and competition to happen and eliminate the need for cross realm.

One of the biggest reasons why vanilla and BC wow were so good was the lack of cross-realm features (other than battlegroup stuff for pvp which I thought was great) that created server communities so hopefully that is something that is focused on.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #10
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt there will be cross-realm features since it's one of the main things that killed the game for somebody like me.

What will be interesting is to see whether they are going to try and balance the game, or leave everything as it was. On Nostalrius/Elysium/Light's Hope, druids and hunters are essentially worthless and many of the top guilds don't even use them in their raids. Rogues and warriors dominate the damage meters. Alliance dominates Horde in progression because of pallies, etc. I kind of want to see them change this up and make every class viable in at least one role.

Lots of questions.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #11
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Biggest thing I wonder about for Vanilla is if they try an deal with the PVE/PVP balance for horde and alliance. Shamans were monsters in PVP, but practically useless in raids, another priest was almost always a better option than a shaman.

Goddamn I miss my 2-hand + shock Vanilla Shaman build, such wonderfully unbalanced burst damage.

e: thought I was done with WoW for good, but Vanilla WSG and AB might pull me back (WSG is imo, the best PVP arena of any game ever)

Last edited by Matata; 11-03-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #12
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Biggest thing I wonder about for Vanilla is if they try an deal with the PVE/PVP balance for horde and alliance. Shamans were monsters in PVP, but practically useless in raids, another priest was almost always a better option than a shaman.

Goddamn I miss my 2-hand + shock Vanilla Shaman build, such wonderfully unbalanced burst damage.
Yep. This page shows the huge imbalance in this kind of stuff: http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/Ra...0H0I&realm=Ely
Old 11-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'll almost certainly re-sub for a month just to reminisce, but everything about vanilla so so primitive and frustrating compared to most of the recent QoL updates that I can't see myself sticking around long for it. I'm certainly not going to go through the trouble of dealing with raids.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #14
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
For me, I'd want the purest vanilla experience possible.
Quote:
I kind of want to see them change this up and make every class viable in at least one role.

It's not vanilla WoW without some broken things!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #15
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

right, i am contradicting myself, but if there's one thing i dislike about Vanilla it's how cookie-cutter everything is.

Last edited by Ashasx; 11-03-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #16
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think that's right. People don't even have that much gold on private servers where we know the perfect golf farming methods. Maybe you are thinking about Burning Crusade, but people were really bad in Vanilla when it came to gold farming. You could control an entire server's economy with that much gold.
Why yes, yes you could.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #17
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
....druids and hunters are essentially worthless and many of the top guilds don't even use them in their raids. Rogues and warriors dominate the damage meters. Alliance dominates Horde in progression because of pallies, etc. I kind of want to see them change this up and make every class viable in at least one role.
This is just how I remember the wow forums about 10 years ago. Just change the classes every few months. Well, at all times really but I stopped playing I think around 2009 regularly and completely a year or so later.

I'm thinking the game has passed me by. Those 40 man raids were something else for a while though. A lot of work.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #18
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

No legendaries.

This might be the greatest expansion of all time.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #19
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
Those 40 man raids were something else for a while though. A lot of work.
Yeah, but those 40 man AV matches were epic.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:24 PM   #20
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Yeah, but those 40 man AV matches were epic.
Who even has time for those anymore haha.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote