Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I love my SE, but I'm pretty sure it's been untouched since it was launched. Could be wrong.
They bumped up the memory earlier this year, but I think the guts are otherwise unchanged.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #22
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Currently shows an ETA of 5-6 weeks.

I was planning on getting the X until I saw the keynote. Instead I went with the 8. I'm not sold on the lack of home button and the lack of fingerprint login.
How is the 8 holding up? I saw a few reviews, and it looks a bit more durable to scratches and drops than previous versions. Would you use it without a case? I am kind of tired of the extra bulk of the phone cases.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #23
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I bought this case for it; actually ended up getting the case before I got my phone:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0747ZLTJB/

Slim enough to not really affect the bulk. The one good/bad thing is the lip of the case extends a couple of mm above the screen. So while that may help protect it from landing the wrong way and getting damaged, it does cause me to "fat finger" a few things.

Keep in mind it has a glass back to support wireless charging, so there's another risk I didn't want to take. Speaking of wireless charging, I got this charger:
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...-base?fnode=42
They had this and the Belkin one in the store, and I tried both. Belkin seems to be it's usual craptacular self. I had to position the phone just perfectly to start charging. The Mophie one is far more forgiving.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #24
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I stayed awake, got on, and tried checking out with a November 3rd delivery, however my god damn address had a typo in it causing enough of a delay for 2-3 weeks.

FML FWP
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 6S plus is holding up well so no need to upgrade for at least another year.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #26
theJuice
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yup, got one, but couldnt get it on launch day. Should be expected about 2-3 weeks after.
theJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #27
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a 5 that still works pretty good. I was thinking of upgrading this year, but looking at the prices, I may wait another year. Regardless, I always like to wait for the rush to die down a bit, so I wouldn't buy it immediately.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #28
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed that IKEA sells a wireless charging pad. Anybody try one of these?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #29
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have a 5 that still works pretty good. I was thinking of upgrading this year, but looking at the prices, I may wait another year. Regardless, I always like to wait for the rush to die down a bit, so I wouldn't buy it immediately.
I'm in the exact same boat. Still using the 5 which I got in 2013, but I can't believe I'm using a phone that's 5 years old (it came out in 2012). Was considering getting the X, but there is no way I can justify the price for what you're getting. It's not a bad phone obviously, but for the top one going for $1800 with tax? Not for me. I also have an SE for work, which I do like speed-wise, but I wish I had the nicer screen of the 8 or X.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:02 PM   #30
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why are people so jazzed to spend $1000 on a device that's not great and has no headphone jack. Are the dongles really popular? Do people just love spending a $1000 on a phone and $400 on accessories for it? Why would you pay to have the NSA get your facial data?
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Why are people so jazzed to spend $1000 on a device that's not great and has no headphone jack. Are the dongles really popular? Do people just love spending a $1000 on a phone and $400 on accessories for it? Why would you pay to have the NSA get your facial data?
The hardware itself is state of the art so "not great" is probably an incorrect statement. I know people that change phones every year just like a lot of people change cars every couple of years. It's not a criticism as if that's what you like that's what you like. I like the feeling of unboxing new electronics myself which is why I always have to sit hard and think about it whenever the latest and greatest of anything is released. Right now though I just don't think it makes sense to me and I would rather wait until Apple gets a series or two into the new direction.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-30-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #32
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I bought one. It was that or a 8 Plus. After doing a review the X has the better and larger screen in a smaller lighter package. Is that worth $275 more? I think so. I always felt the plus was a horrible design given Apple's insistence on the top and bottom bar.

Although I enjoy my 6S, the current design is dated,and the screen does feel small. I think this is the best of both worlds a larger screen in a similar non-Plus package.

Bottom line I just couldn't bring myself to paying $1050 for what I felt was an inferior design when $275 more could get me to something much better.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #33
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I think iPhones are great for what my needs are, and I don't need a headphone jack because I have bluetooth and lightning headphones.

What are these $400 accessories you speak of?

How is the NSA going to get your facial data? It's stored as a hash in the secure enclave. Samsung has facial recognition as well... you gonna piss on them too?

Why do you care that people like things you don't? I hope you enjoy whatever phone you use. It would be sad to feel otherwise.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #34
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I want to see one before deciding. I've got an iPhone 6 with a screen defect which they won't fix because it developed after the warranty, and the battery seems borked (it says there's 5% left, I plug it in, instantly jumps up to 30% left.. then later says 20% left then shuts off, etc). So I'd like to upgrade. But not sure if I'll it so will be patient, and just get my 6 repaired I guess if I don't want to upgrade.
Did they not warranty it based on the battery?

I have a 6+ and it was doing the same thing. The 6's have 2 batteries, and if one of them isn't working it hits 30%, and then shuts off when it switches to the other battery (or at least that's how it was explained to me).

I took mine in and they gave me a brand new phone. Which was handy, because the reason the battery was toast was from being dropped 1000 times, and then my 2yr old stuck it in a 3/4 drank slurpee cup.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #35
photon

Exp:

I didn't mention the battery thing at the time, just the screen.

Will they replace it even if it's 3 years old??
Old 10-31-2017, 09:16 PM   #36
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Hmmmm that I don't know. Mine was a year old. Never hurts to ask though, Apple has been pretty good to me with warranties.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:30 PM   #37
photon

Exp:

One review I read said the face thing worked as expected for them, that's the biggest thing I'd be looking at is if they managed to have it work as reliably as the fingerprint sensor.

Will also have to wait until someone with a beard tests it, if a varying beard length messes it up.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:09 PM   #38
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
One review I read said the face thing worked as expected for them, that's the biggest thing I'd be looking at is if they managed to have it work as reliably as the fingerprint sensor.

Will also have to wait until someone with a beard tests it, if a varying beard length messes it up.
That has been tested; hair cuts and beards made no difference unless it was an abrupt change (from no beard to ZZ top beard and vice versa).

It worked with all sunglasses tested but did not work with a scarf covering up to the nose. The biggest issue now is the front camera seems to have issues in direct sunlight or fluorescent light and it is not registering faces under those conditions.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:22 PM   #39
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got an X pre-order on the 27th arriving on Nov 21-28th, I started trying right at 1:01am and it took a minute or two for the site to stop showing my that it was still being updated. My buddy managed to snag one at the same time for Nov 3rd. Apparently the Apple Store app is the way to go to get through faster. Moving from a 6S that I'll be giving my brother, he is still rocking a 4 that has outlived its life by a long shot.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #40
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting article here talking about Apple's choice to highly restrict pre-launch access to phones by most tech reviewers, cutting down on the availability to publish thorough reviews during the critical buying period:

Quote:
One of the curious features of yesterday’s rush of iPhone X reviews was the amount of time that most reviewers were given to come to grips with the iPhone X and write up their experiences. With four exceptions who had over a week with the new handset (three reporters in the US and one in the UK), Apple provided the majority of writers review units on Monday lunchtime, with an embargo lifting on Tuesday morning.

That left very little time for these publications to author a detailed iPhone X review. Almost all of them acknowledged this as an issue before continuing with what are arguably ‘very first look’ articles rather than ‘reviews’ that follow extensive testing and personal use.

. . . .

Finally, and putting aside the chosen few who had a week with the handset, consider the impact that having less than twenty-four hours with the iPhone X has on the content produced. The articles will be little more than a first impressions look at the hardware, and only snap judgements would feature in the editorial.

Key areas where consumers would appreciate feedback, such as battery life, cannot be addressed much beyond Apple’s own claims being reiterated. Long and involved examination of the camera in various environments, perhaps in head-to-head comparisons with other leading smartphone cameras cannot be completed. Comparisons of the A11 chipset against the Snapdragon 845 also have to be put aside for a later date, with potentially fewer views and reach.

If there are flaws in the handset, then these will not be discovered in the critical to Apple pre-launch window just before the handsets reach Apple Stores around the world. I’m not suggesting there are flaws, but with iOS 11 already proving to be more bug-ridden than previous releases the interface of software and hardware on the iPhone X remains untested.
A good example:

Last edited by Mike F; 11-01-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote