Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #1241
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Jiminez has been released. I guess Salty (not going to try and spell it) is the backup by default?
Pretty much.

I mean if you're pretty much convinced that Jiminez won't be an MLB quality player why keep him around. They have a better Starter (Russell), Back-up (Salty), 3rd stringer (Graterol) and they have younger prospects (Jiminez is 26) that they need to make space for (McGuire & hopefully Pentecost).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jays used one of their 1st on a NCAA catcher (Evan Skoug maybe).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #1242
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Pretty much.

I mean if you're pretty much convinced that Jiminez won't be an MLB quality player why keep him around. They have a better Starter (Russell), Back-up (Salty), 3rd stringer (Graterol) and they have younger prospects (Jiminez is 26) that they need to make space for (McGuire & hopefully Pentecost).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jays used one of their 1st on a NCAA catcher (Evan Skoug maybe).
Jays also have Ohlman at the catcher position. He could potentially challenge Salty.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #1243
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Stro wins his arb. case.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman
stroman gets $3.4M, not the $3.1M the jays proposed
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #1244
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN baseball insider Steve Phillips was on this morning on completely felating the Jays starting rotation. Figures from top to bottom its the best in baseball. Sure hope hes right. They were certainly amazing last year and hopefully they can stay healthy and repeat the performance
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #1245
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
TSN baseball insider Steve Phillips was on this morning on completely felating the Jays starting rotation. Figures from top to bottom its the best in baseball. Sure hope hes right. They were certainly amazing last year and hopefully they can stay healthy and repeat the performance
Should be good. I really wish Estrada was not playing in the WBC though. Would prefer he puts as little stress on his nagging lower back injury as possible.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #1246
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
It is very good... if unconventionally so (no strikeout artists). I can't see it not being good, IMO the only infielder that isn't at least an above average defender is Travis (and he's "just" average) so the Jays should be a very good run suppression team.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #1247
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Should be good. I really wish Estrada was not playing in the WBC though. Would prefer he puts as little stress on his nagging lower back injury as possible.
You mean like this?

Estrada will only pitch for Mexico at WBC if he's '100 per cent' - Sportsnet
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...-100-per-cent/
22 hours ago - Marco Estrada told Team Mexico officials that he will only pitch in the WBC if he's "100 per cent ready for the Blue Jays season."
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #1248
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You mean like this?

Estrada will only pitch for Mexico at WBC if he's '100 per cent' - Sportsnet
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...-100-per-cent/
22 hours ago - Marco Estrada told Team Mexico officials that he will only pitch in the WBC if he's "100 per cent ready for the Blue Jays season."
I don't even want him pitching in that meaningless tournament if he is 100%. Start the MLB season off right. No need to potentially re-aggravate it. He's apparently been having problems all off-season with it.

That's the first time anything about him not playing has been reported though. Hopefully that's just his way of bracing Mexico for his impending decline of the invitation.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #1249
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sportsnet had a story from early January that shows it has been going on for a while.

Marco Estrada uncertain on status for World Baseball Classic - Sportsnet
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...eball-classic/
Jan 4, 2017 - Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Marco Estrada is not certain if he will be able to pitch for Mexico at the WBC given his lingering back issue.

MLB Network Radio ✔ @MLBNetworkRadio
Estrada on WBC "dealing with this back issue, unfortunately I don't think I'll be pitching in it, maybe if they make round 2" #BlueJays
4:16 PM - 4 Jan 2017 · Washington, DC

I'm more concerned about the comments about his arm...

“Everybody thinks it’s because of my back – it’s my arm. I just want to make sure it’s ready to go because when you’re out there, you want to give it your all and it’s hard to hold back, whereas in spring training games you can hold back and you can work on stuff." (from the article 22 hours ago)
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #1250
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Sportsnet had a story from early January that shows it has been going on for a while.

Marco Estrada uncertain on status for World Baseball Classic - Sportsnet
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...eball-classic/
Jan 4, 2017 - Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Marco Estrada is not certain if he will be able to pitch for Mexico at the WBC given his lingering back issue.

MLB Network Radio ✔ @MLBNetworkRadio
Estrada on WBC "dealing with this back issue, unfortunately I don't think I'll be pitching in it, maybe if they make round 2" #BlueJays
4:16 PM - 4 Jan 2017 · Washington, DC

I'm more concerned about the comments about his arm...

“Everybody thinks it’s because of my back – it’s my arm. I just want to make sure it’s ready to go because when you’re out there, you want to give it your all and it’s hard to hold back, whereas in spring training games you can hold back and you can work on stuff." (from the article 22 hours ago)
I don't interpret that as an injury. Just that you need to go full tilt in WBC and in Spring you can work up your pace to prepare for the season. Higher chance of risk if you go from zero to 100 with short work. I think he's just managing his body as a veteran, which has me happy as a Jays fan.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #1251
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
The Toronto Blue Jays’ search for pitching depth has led them to a veteran right-hander seeking a bounce-back season. According to industry sources, the club is far along in discussions with Mat Latos.

While there’s no guarantee the sides reach a deal, the Blue Jays have been in contact with Latos in recent weeks as they’ve rounded out their pitching staff. The 29-year-old, a veteran of 194 MLB starts, would provide the Blue Jays with additional rotation depth. In theory, he could also pitch out of the bullpen, where his stuff might play up.

Latos earned Cy Young votes in his age-22 season, when he posted a 2.92 ERA in 31 starts for the 2010 San Diego Padres. Four more stellar seasons followed, but he struggled in the two seasons after being traded to the Marlins in December of 2014. Since that deal, he has played for five organizations while posting a 4.93 ERA.

Most recently, Latos spent the 2016 season with the Chicago White Sox and Washington Nationals, pitching to a 4.89 ERA in 70 innings. He started 12 times while also setting a career high with eight relief appearances.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...der-mat-latos/
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #1252
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

The thing with baseball is that you're one or two bad luck injuries away from having to rethink an entire season. Being that the rotation was so healthy last season, I'm quite hesitant to say that group will fare the same this year.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #1253
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
That seems like an inefficient use of money when we're currently staring at Zeke getting the lions share of starts in LF.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #1254
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

1.5 mil if he makes the team . MLB average for a pitcher is like 4 mil.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #1255
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Mat Latos signs with the Jays.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClubFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #1256
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's a solid pickup. Hope he's in the pen though and kept stretched out in case of injury.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #1257
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays management doing an excellent job building depth in order to guard against injuries woes to the starting rotation.

Stretching out Biagini
Bolsinger still kicking around
Signing Oberholtzer
Signing Latos
Signing Harrell, Floyd and House

Quite a bit of depth now that's for sure.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #1258
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bullpen has nicely shaped up here, lots of longer men and possible injury replacement starters.

How is AAA looking for arms? Do we have anyone else to bring up, or are these guys being signed out of need?

Still leaves a big question mark in LF, but honestly that doesn't seem like a tough spot to fill. Some decent free agents out there if desperation sets in too.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #1259
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
That seems like an inefficient use of money when we're currently staring at Zeke getting the lions share of starts in LF.
I doubt that... No way he's a majority of the time player....
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #1260
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Read somewhere that Latos hasn't used his curve in two years, working on a splitter to use more often. Potentially gearing up for a late career in relief.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote