Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #161
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
Pretty bad operator failure here...
Its nice that you quoted Wikipedia about a totally different spill (Kalamazoo River) by a totally different company.

Last edited by Weitz; 11-17-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #162
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What cause did though? Has sabotage been ruled out? Its happened on the Dakota and the Enbridge Pipelines.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 11-17-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #163
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
Pretty bad operator failure here...
What's that quote from? Are you even talking about the KXL leak being discussed right now? Would Enbridge even be able to see what is happening on a TC pipeline?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #164
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enbridge had a pretty bad spill a few years back because of the reasons posted.

Operators ignored the detection system.

There is no reason to suspect the same thing happened here.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #165
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I think you are misunderstanding where I’m coming from. Any size of leak will contaminate the area it happens in. It can be cleaned up, but also never completely. When you contaminate the eco system, the effect isn’t typically seen immediately.(Sydney tar ponds for example) That being the case I think it is premature to assume that the longterm effects will not be harsher.

Every transport system has flaws, so instead of focusing on why one isn’t as bad as the other, I prefer to focus on how any of the options can be improved. I’m not satisfied with the idea of building a pipeline where the same issue can occur, I think that’s an irresponsible approach. The response time was good, but there should be better preventative measures put in place. I don’t like when oil companies promote how unnoticeable their pipelines look, to me this is a smokescreen sales pitch. Knowing with any pipeline there is a risk of a spill, a solution such as a concrete storm drain style “gutter” system running under pipeplines that may not be as esthetically pleasing to the eyes and may cost more to build yet will also mitigate or potentially eliminate environmental impact during a spill, makes a lot more sense to me than focusing on saving money and making it look “nice”.
I disagree with fundamentally that a 5000 barrel spill is unacceptable.

Yes we need to make things better and work to improve safety but it has to be referenced against the next best alternative. Because if you oppose building a pipeline that will occasionally have a 5000 barrel leak then you are part of the zero pipeline spills are acceptable group. And that group implicitly supports trucking, rail and importing via tankers as the alternative.

Your concrete gutter approach would require pipelines to be built on surface. This means you will severely impact animal migration. Not to mention givem the various slopes the volume of this concert gutter would need to be ridiculous.

You could double pipeline cost and use double wall pipelines with interstitial monitoring but given the economics really that is supporting trucking and training oil.

Your zero spill is acceptable position means that you should be against gas stations as every time people fill up gas is spilt into the ground water.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #166
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
...Your zero spill is acceptable position means that you should be against gas stations as every time people fill up gas is spilt into the ground water.
Not to jump in here, because my opinion is pretty unpopular regarding pipelines, but this seems like a really, really silly comparison.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #167
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Trump is on his way with paper towels!
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #168
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Trump is on his way with paper towels!
Spoilered for size
Spoiler!
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #169
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Not to jump in here, because my opinion is pretty unpopular regarding pipelines, but this seems like a really, really silly comparison.
Thanks for explaining why.

This spill is awful and I was really upset reading about it last night. No pipeline operator in history has ever claimed that their pipe is 100% spill proof though. Just like no airline has ever claimed they are 100% crash proof or any car company has said their vehicle is 100% death proof. Everyone operates within a certain standard of acceptable risk, ie the benefits of going on a european vacation outweigh the risk of death on the transport there.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #170
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Why?

You spill fuel on pavement every time you fill up with gas. This is washed down the storm sewer into our waterways. Not to mention that the GHGs emitted by the vehicles is a far greater threat.

Opposition to pipelines only harms Albertans. The US state department found that this pipeline reduces GHG emissions when oil prices were below 80 or so a barrel.

Get rid of Cars and tax emissions to address the environmental concerns. Until then Pipelines are the most environmentally friendly method of transporting a product to meet its demands.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #171
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Thanks for explaining why.

This spill is awful and I was really upset reading about it last night. No pipeline operator in history has ever claimed that their pipe is 100% spill proof though. Just like no airline has ever claimed they are 100% crash proof or any car company has said their vehicle is 100% death proof. Everyone operates within a certain standard of acceptable risk, ie the benefits of going on a european vacation outweigh the risk of death on the transport there.
I guess my question is, what is the liability of the pipeline companies and how do they make it right with the people in the communities that it affects?
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #172
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"It's only 5000 barrels" becomes a weak argument when the oil seeps into a river.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #173
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
"It's only 5000 barrels" becomes a weak argument when the oil seeps into a river.
Yes...and if you would do your research you would know that this spill is nowhere near a river...

Nice try though...
Old 11-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #174
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well it's just as well Keystone isn't anywhere near any aquifers or rivers and that even if it was, it surely will never experience a leak again.

Honestly like watching Trump defend coal here.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #175
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
I think the argument still stands. The consequences can be mitigated without bankrupting the pipeline owning company. For example the spill last year in the North Sask was 225 m^3 (1400 barrels) and from what I can tell the long term affects have been limited.

And again you need to provide the alternative for the oil supply and compare its affects. Pipelines are a clear case of better than any other alternative.

With Trump defending coal the clear answer is switch to natural gas. It's lower cost and cleaner. Where is that option for pipelines. You can be a billionaire overnight if you figure it out.

Last edited by GGG; 11-17-2017 at 04:54 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #176
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I guess my question is, what is the liability of the pipeline companies and how do they make it right with the people in the communities that it affects?
I can't purport to know specifics as I'm not in the pipeline business. I do know that oil and gas companies in general pay a lot to private land owners, even just to operate a surface lease on their land with minimal risk of spillage. I would assume transcanada is 100% on the hook for clean up costs, they would be in Canada. A pipeline spill is in no ones best interest, it's really a sad event every time it happens.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:17 PM   #177
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I disagree with fundamentally that a 5000 barrel spill is unacceptable.
You’re entitled to your opinion
Quote:
Yes we need to make things better and work to improve safety but it has to be referenced against the next best alternative. Because if you oppose building a pipeline that will occasionally have a 5000 barrel leak then you are part of the zero pipeline spills are acceptable group. And that group implicitly supports trucking, rail and importing via tankers as the alternative.
I guess I fundamentally disagree with your labelling of me. I oppose building a new pipeline without any modifications knowing that the current model has room to improve.
Quote:
Your concrete gutter approach would require pipelines to be built on surface. This means you will severely impact animal migration. Not to mention givem the various slopes the volume of this concert gutter would need to be ridiculous.
Many pipelines, or at least portions of them are built on the surface. Animal migration can be maintained by building animal crossings similar to those on our highways.

Quote:
You could double pipeline cost and use double wall pipelines with interstitial monitoring but given the economics really that is supporting trucking and training oil.
I disagree, the upfront costs would be increased for sure. But the longterm potential savings from less impactful spills would IMO likely offset the costs when you consider clean up costs and the need to pay more for lobbying for future project approvals.

Quote:
Your zero spill is acceptable position means that you should be against gas stations as every time people fill up gas is spilt into the ground water.
I like to think it means I’m just not in favour of the status quo when it can be improved.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #178
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
You’re entitled to your opinion

Many pipelines, or at least portions of them are built on the surface. Animal migration can be maintained by building animal crossings similar to those on our highways.

There are more than double the Kilometers of pipelines in Canada then there are of paved roads, how could you possibly support putting that much infrastructure above ground. I can’t imagine how detrimental that would be to almost every aspect of life.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #179
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
There are more than double the Kilometers of pipelines in Canada then there are of paved roads, how could you possibly support putting that much infrastructure above ground. I can’t imagine how detrimental that would be to almost every aspect of life.
Because it would be less impactful in the event of a spill. Even underground there could be adjustment made to mitigate the damage.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #180
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/571494/in...ls-in-alberta/
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post: