Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #801
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also missing Pilotwings 64, for some reason. That's the one 64 game I've really wanted to always play, yet it never hits the virtual console.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #802
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Also missing Pilotwings 64, for some reason. That's the one 64 game I've really wanted to always play, yet it never hits the virtual console.
Ahhh I loved that game. Surprised they left it off the SNES mini too.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #803
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least you can get Pilotwings on the VC, I grabbed it on the Wii U. Good memories of that one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #804
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

A mini N64 is where things get really interesting, N64 emulation has been a mess in general for years and every emulator out there requires a variety of plugins and hacks to get games working. I assume that's the reason for such a small games list, though it would be nice if Nintendo puts out a better emulator than what's already available (unlike the NES and SNES) and could be reverse engineered
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #805
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The "leaked" list of N64 title is just a list titles on Wii U Virtual Console for the PAL region, which explains why Nintendo.co.uk has these manuals available.

But, if Nintendo were to make an N64 classic, probably 80% of the titles would be the same. Though I haven't heard anything substantial about an N64 Classic, just fan speculation. If they do create an N64 classic, it would be interesting to see what they do with the controller. Maybe a design choice to replace the crappy plastic stick with a modern smooth analogue stick, even though that ruins some of the nostalgic feel?
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #806
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
A mini N64 is where things get really interesting, N64 emulation has been a mess in general for years and every emulator out there requires a variety of plugins and hacks to get games working. I assume that's the reason for such a small games list, though it would be nice if Nintendo puts out a better emulator than what's already available (unlike the NES and SNES) and could be reverse engineered
I really don't see them bringing out an N64 mini, like you said emulation just isn't there for the N64 and even on a Raspberry Pi 3 and coders optimizing them they still run slow and buggy and not something Nintendo would release. I would actually prefer to see some kind of a Gameboy mini that connects to the TV with a nice collection of GB/GBA games. DS is easily emulated but dual screens doesn't look or work nice on single screens.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #807
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I really don't see them bringing out an N64 mini, like you said emulation just isn't there for the N64 and even on a Raspberry Pi 3 and coders optimizing them they still run slow and buggy and not something Nintendo would release. I would actually prefer to see some kind of a Gameboy mini that connects to the TV with a nice collection of GB/GBA games. DS is easily emulated but dual screens doesn't look or work nice on single screens.
Ya I really don't think we see an official N64 mini anytime soon. It would require a significantly more powerful CPU than what's in the NES and SNES mini (which both run the same hardware) which would up the cost, and each game would require significant development time to get working 100%. There is a lot of progress being made with N64 emulation though, so it may be more feasible in a few years
Old 11-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #808
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's enough, buzzkills! Some of us rely on these rumours to help get us through the day week month year!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #809
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
The "leaked" list of N64 title is just a list titles on Wii U Virtual Console for the PAL region, which explains why Nintendo.co.uk has these manuals available.

But, if Nintendo were to make an N64 classic, probably 80% of the titles would be the same. Though I haven't heard anything substantial about an N64 Classic, just fan speculation. If they do create an N64 classic, it would be interesting to see what they do with the controller. Maybe a design choice to replace the crappy plastic stick with a modern smooth analogue stick, even though that ruins some of the nostalgic feel?
I backed this stick to replace my N64 controller. I tried the old one again recently and can't stand it. Worse designed controller in the history of videogames. I'll post a quick review when I finally get it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-64-controller
1_Flames_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #810
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Decent list, but there's two obvious Rare titles missing.
Short a THQ produced wrestling game too. My vote would go to either wcw/nwo revenge or wrestlemania 2000
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #811
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
That's enough, buzzkills! Some of us rely on these rumours to help get us through the day week month year!
Could pick up a real N64 and a flash cart with all the games on it. The only issue there is no HDMI but there is a mod for N64 to add HDMI but then we are talking a total of $300-$400 for all. $145US for the mod, $107US for the cart, and probably $50cdn for the N64 plus install.

I understand the appeal of these mini systems as the steps above are far too much work and I'm not going to preach Raspberry Pi's but from this point on I doubt there will be anymore minis.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #812
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Posted in the Switch thread, but it makes sense here too, as 8bitdo offers NES and SNES mini controller adapters

Pretty much the ultimate emulator controller
Old 11-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #813
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume everybody that wanted a SNES got one now? I tried to hook up a few people when I went a little overboard for coworkers and friends.

Best Buy apparently will have more at 2 pm today.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #814
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still looking for one if someone has one they are trying to dump. I am not at a computer a lot during the day so I haven't had any luck with Amazon.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #815
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still looking for one...
Old 11-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #816
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahh ####, I forgot about this to try to get an extra one. A few minutes too late, hope other people had better luck/memory.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #817
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

In stock now! Prime members only: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #818
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone still looking after the latest amazon drop? I ordered one in case.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #819
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am still looking, Its quite an annoying hunt.
johnnyrocket03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #820
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Toyrus are supposed to get a whole bunch December 2nd.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote