Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:
Default Plasma TV Repair

Anyone have a recommendation for a good in home TV repairman? Or an experience using one before? I see some of those guys advertising on kijiji, but not sure what reputable they are...

My Plasma TV is having some issues and would rather see if I can get it repaired instead of buying a new TV. Turns off intermittently and sometimes boot loops.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm pretty sure a new TV is the better option.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plasmas are really prone to overheating, resulting in caps blowing. If you're comfortable, sometimes the only solution (besides buying a new TV or paying through the nose for repairs) is to open up the back and snip and solder on new caps, or sometimes replace the mainboard (usually ~60$ on ebay).

You have to be comfortable with electronics soldering however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Plasmas are really prone to overheating, resulting in caps blowing. If you're comfortable, sometimes the only solution (besides buying a new TV or paying through the nose for repairs) is to open up the back and snip and solder on new caps, or sometimes replace the mainboard (usually ~60$ on ebay).

To elaborate on this, I had this happen to my plasma. Didn't want to pay for a new tv (but would have) so I decided to try and fix it myself. Ended up working great. Sold it to a friend who still uses it now (would be about 8 or 9 years old now).
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still have a Kuro that I'm sorta loathe to replace. But I probably will.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

I looked at his post and would have agreed with you until he says it boot loops pointing more towards a system board, however caps could cause reboots also. I fixed a plasma earlier this year by simply touching up all the solder joints on the power board with proper leaded solder as there was a period that companies stopped using lead and became prone to solder joints cracking and failing.

The fact that it turns on at all is worth trying to fix but trying to get someone to your house to fix that will not be worth it at all.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #7
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I'm pretty sure a new TV is the better option.
Probably, but I loathe to give it up. It is a 60 inch Samsung F8500 and the picture quality is pretty amazing. I'd probably have to drop close to 2k to get something really comparable.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Probably, but I loathe to give it up. It is a 60 inch Samsung F8500 and the picture quality is pretty amazing. I'd probably have to drop close to 2k to get something really comparable.
The model I fixed was a Samsung PN64E550D1F I'd bet on power board and bad solder. Does it cycle more after its on for a bit? Solder heats up and loses connection.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #9
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a Panasonic plasma fail many years ago. Found a guy on ebay who repairs TV boards and by the symptoms was able to identify what board needed fixing. Shipped it to him, and when I got it back and reassembled the TV it was working again and still going strong in my Mom's house. Point is there are guys out there who can probably fix it.

If all else fails and have nothing to lose, I've fixed the formatter boards in HP printers by heating them in the oven to reflow the solder joints, after which they'd work fine for a year until the joints fail again. This was after they switched to no-lead solder. I forget what temperature and for how long but I'm sure Google has the answers.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Still have a Kuro that I'm sorta loathe to replace. But I probably will.
If I had a Kuro I'd want to keep it too. My Panasonic plasma is still going strong after 9+ years, the picture is still fantastic.

(I just moved it to a different room and put it on a wall mount. Holy crap is that thing heavy compared to the LCD it replaced)
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #11
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More than that - none of the LEDs are as good in a dark room, you still have to go to OLED. Although the P65C1 is at Costco for 1999 and the P65E1 is only 2299. If you were looking for a TV in that size it's a good time to buy.

But yeah, I wouldn't be in a hurry to throw that in the trash either.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #12
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
The model I fixed was a Samsung PN64E550D1F I'd bet on power board and bad solder. Does it cycle more after its on for a bit? Solder heats up and loses connection.
Yeah it seems to loop more often after it is on for a while. Usually about 15 mins to an hour it will either turn off or go into a loop. I unplug it and plug it back in to fix temporarily.

Sometimes it just won't start up at all, like if I haven't used it for a few days, pressing the power switch on the remote doesn't do anything. Unplugging for 10 secs usually fixes that issue and I can start it.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #13
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it seems to loop more often after it is on for a while. Usually about 15 mins to an hour it will either turn off or go into a loop. I unplug it and plug it back in to fix temporarily.

Sometimes it just won't start up at all, like if I haven't used it for a few days, pressing the power switch on the remote doesn't do anything. Unplugging for 10 secs usually fixes that issue and I can start it.
If you can remove the power board I will try and fix it for free. I can always use the practice soldering.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

TV's and Printers are pretty much the ultimate expression of disposable technology now.

They're even being built to be tossed on failure.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #15
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
TV's and Printers are pretty much the ultimate expression of disposable technology now.

They're even being built to be tossed on failure.
It’s that thinking that gives me free TV’s